Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front Light Recommendation

• 06-02-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

As above, can anyone recommend a decent front light for cycling in the dark, and I mean unlit country roads for around €50?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just bought a solar storm off eBay it's very bright. I don't think I'd use it on busy roads so should be perfect on country roads. €30 I think it cost.

It does have a separate battery pack though if it's neat you're after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

That sounds good any links?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One or two suggestions here;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

I recently bought this lezyne for the work commute. It's really great, nice and compact and a great beam for such a small unit. It charges from USB which is really handy

Think you can get the front/back set for around €70

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-micro-drive-front-light-200l-2015/rp-prod111708

Just an update back from a 45min spin.

30 metres out

20150206_213525_zpss8tldvnu.jpg?t=1423175316

60 metres out

20150206_213623_zpseg0fs3ej.jpg?t=1423175319

Pictures don't do it justice to be honest it's very bright. I find myself pushing it down when I come across a car on the lanes. It easily lights 100M+

Sorry for the massive pics :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cateye volt 300. If you change your mind about the price, Schmidt edelux.

Looks very bright in those pics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Dónal wrote: »

Our civilised European neighbours have traffic laws on bike lights, so as not to blind other road users.

Most of the lights mentioned above don't comply.

I use lights that do comply and haven't had an issue on mainly unlit rural roads. B &M dynamo lamp and a Trelock 950 are the lights I've used.

I also have a 1000 lumen lamp for mtb. Not suitable for road though

I am against any of the lights that don't have a suitably shaped beam pattern above a certain intensity as they are only for truffle hunters and blinding other road users at a certain point.

I did mention that it wouldn't be for regular road use. As you can see from the pics I only use it on country lanes where the only traffic is my neighbours and on the xx bike. I think it's perfect for the job and once you're courteous enough to angle it down if a car approaches I don't see it being an issue.

For the PC brigade I also ride with a lezyne when going through town. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

i had one of those style lights and it up was fine for seeing where I was going, but horrendous for anyone coming towards me. I ended up changing to a dynamo set (about 110 all in) and it's much better. No charging batteries, proper mounting on the bike, good light. I havent used the ebay leds since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Just an update back from a 45min spin.

30 metres out

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae170/leeomurchu/20150206_213525_zpss8tldvnu.jpg?t=1423175316[/IMG]

60 metres out

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae170/leeomurchu/20150206_213623_zpseg0fs3ej.jpg?t=1423175319[/IMG]

Pictures don't do it justice to be honest it's very bright. I find myself pushing it down when I come across a car on the lanes. It easily lights 100M+

Sorry for the massive pics :(

What's the light like from the cyclist's point of view? Does it light up the road well?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's the light like from the cyclist's point of view? Does it light up the road well?

It's an out and out flood light. As others have stated I wouldn't fancy cycling toward it so it wouldn't be for town use.

There are 3 settings and flashing the low beam is more than adequate gives about 10m of clear viewing at a wide angle medium will give clear viewing for 40m+ easily High setting lights up everything within 60m+. The beam isn't as focused as it looks in the pics.

I'll take a few pics during the week showing the riders perspective.

lennymc wrote: »
    i had one of those style lights and it up was fine for seeing where I was going, but horrendous for anyone coming towards me. I ended up changing to a dynamo set (about 110 all in) and it's much better. No charging batteries, proper mounting on the bike, good light. I havent used the ebay leds since.

Ya but how is the Dynamo on an unlit country road?

And what sort of bulb is in it?

I'm concerned about hitting potholes in the middle of nowhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Mine is fine. It's an led with a German approved focused beam. Dynamos are fantastic.

Idleater wrote: »
    Mine is fine. It's an led with a German approved focused beam. Dynamos are fantastic.

Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

keano25 wrote: »
    Any link?

I have a cheap sp dynamo light, got it in a bundle with a pv8 hub. There are far better and more powerful lights, my comment was more to agree with the posters that say focus is better on the road than bright scatter everywhere.

• Advertisement

Depends on the light
    Most are LED
    Not an issue with any decent dynamo powered light

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/plight.asp covers most of the questions, with links to the various possible headlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

+1 for dynamo lights. If you're riding regularly in the country side, they're worth every cent.

I have the older version of this, but my little brother has this exact one
    http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-scheinwerfer/lumotec-iq-fly-t.html

I've been using it on country roads since 2008. It projects a shape on the road that lights the way effectively, you can see enough in the pitch dark to come down a hill at 30mph, yet it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.
    When you stop, the light runs dimmer, like a regular bike light, for several minutes before turning off.

The newer version that I don't have also has a day/night sensor that spills light everywhere during the day for maximum visibility, and focuses it in the dark for when you need to see.

Never needs charging, never needs batteries, and always on. I spent years carrying a battery backup just in case, but I never used it.

Out of curiosity how much do these dynamo lights cost?

A cheaper shimano hub built into a wheel with a basic lamp is doable from Germany from just over 100. With shimanos best dyno hub and a decent light you'd be up on 150.

Higher end stuff is 300/400 upwards.

I got Shimanos best hub built on a Magic CXP22 rim, 36 spoke, tube, rim tape and a GP4000S tyre for 177euro with delivery from Rose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

B&M light €55 and a basic rose wheel with own brand rim basic shimano hub for €65. The light is as good as any you'd buy at twice the price. I have Son Schmidt Edelux 2 light and SON delux hub built with a mavic open pro myself. The Edelux use uses the same reflector as the B&M just has a metal body. The wheel is where you could spend more to get something lighter with less drag.

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/b--m-lumotec-iq-cyo-premium-t--senso-plus-front-headlamp/aid:709237

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-dh-3n31-with-xtreme-sari-t-19-r-28700-c-atb-front-wheel-716134/aid:716136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My advice would be to avoid rim hubs - they drain the life our of your bike.

For a good self set up, I got a prebuilt double-walleed road wheel with a Sanyo hub for 70 EUR, plus another 60 EUR for the front light and 22 EUR for the back light. You can go cheaper, but if you want something that will last for years, I think that's a good way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cateye volt 300. If you change your mind about the price, Schmidt edelux.

this, great light

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have the volt 300 too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Apologies - only seeing this now. most of my cycling in winter is on unlit country roads. I have descended at about 55-60kph with this light although that would be as fast as i would take it. As for seeing lights - you see everything. It has a good beam pattern. It is an edelux LED light and a shimano something hub dynamo. I got the wheel & dynamo on ebay, it's been faultless. I got the light from cramcycle on here. I find it way better than the ebay cree lights I was using previously. All in it cost me about 120.

schmidt edelux beam pattern is shown on this page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

+1 for Dynamo and LED light setups. They have come a long way from heavy generators and dim bulbs that blew a lot. I've upgraded two of my bikes in the past year - details from other boards threads here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93244394&postcount=285
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89598160&postcount=182

If your doing a lot of unlit roads it's not a bad idea to have a back up battery light set, in case of a mechanical/puncture. I fixed a puncture in dark in December 13 near Powers the Pot which wasn't much fun without a light.

Urban areas probably not necessary

Advertisement