Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing new metal light fitting - no earth available

• 06-02-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Would welcome any advice. I want to replace a ceiling light fitting with a new metal fitting . There is only phase and neutral and new fitting requires an earth.

1. If neutral was strapped to the earth connection I can see how this would provide protection in the event of the metal fitting becoming live. What risk, if any, would this involve - or is this acceptable?

2. If I do have to try to pick up an earth somewhere, is it ok to pick one up from a power socket outlet?

Would welcome any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

No, you cannot create a TN-C system with a PEN conductor within the installation. This is extremely dangerous and illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No, you cannot create a TN-C system with a PEN conductor within the installation. This is extremely dangerous and illegal.

Thanks for reply. Do you know why it is dangerous?

Any ideas on solution ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

adrian92 wrote: »
    Would welcome any advice. I want to replace a ceiling light fitting with a new metal fitting . There is only phase and neutral and new fitting requires an earth.

Remember a neutral in a properly functioning circuit can carry as current much a phase conductor.
    1. If neutral was strapped to the earth connection I can see how this would provide protection in the event of the metal fitting becoming live. What risk, if any, would this involve - or is this acceptable?

No, this is not acceptable.
    What do you think would happen if the neutral were to become disconnected downstream of the light?
    2. If I do have to try to pick up an earth somewhere, is it ok to pick one up from a power socket outlet?

Not ideal, but a substantial improvement on the above suggestion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Either don't install it or wire a new earth from your consumer unit. There are no short cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Thanks all for suggestions. Looks like no short cut.

I'll pick up the earth direct from Consumer Unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks all for suggestions. Looks like no short cut.

I'll pick up the earth direct from Consumer Unit.

That would be best, as 2011 and Risteard suggest, connecting the neutral to the earth terminal is a complete cowboy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

Would welcome any advice. Thanks

Use a Class II double insulated light fixture if you have no earth. They designed for that purpose, no earth. Double insulated fixtures can be recognized by their symbol which is a small square inside a bigger square

Advertisement