Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

multi fuel stove

• 06-02-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Have multi fuel stove in kitchen. Heats cylinder. Overflow to towel rail in bathroom. As towel rail was always boiling hot .. I got a plumber to add two small rads(bedrooms) to the pipework in the hope i would get a bit heat but its poor heat really. The stove is only 3 or 4 kw / stove wasn't really designed for rads. Now im thinking i might change the stove in kitchen to a bigger kw... I can use that one from kitchen in sitting room! I know its a mad expensive way to go but i wonder what kw stove should i get to heat 4 small rads upstairs. . secondly as there is a small boiler in the multi fuel ..can i use it in another room ...just as a stove ....without it being connected ....to pipes....thks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Second question. NO. Stove will buckle as no firebrick to protect hest exchanger with no water

What make and model is the stove, have never seen a 3 to 4 kw boiler stove

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

ah now I m stuck!! Its a clear view , was expensive , fierce reliable. I am very reluctant to remove it as it never caused me a problem. It cannot be used so unless its connected to water? No way around this? Oh dear paying 300 euro a few hours ago for 2 new small ish rads , now seems a serious waste!! In fairness to the plumber , he didn't and I didn't know the KW of the clear view. I thought it was about 4 kw from memory. I have a big fire on now in stove in kitchen , and the rads are warm not hot , I was just hoping they might have been slightly hotter , but not. The only way I could judge what rads (low water high output he tells me) might be like was to compare with Towel rad which was always very hot.

Probably have to try sell it and replace with a bigger KW , to get these rads piping hot thks

just an addition now , Have good fire on , I (4 hours or more) I checked the towel rail now its very hot top to bottom , of the two new rads (3ftx2ft)one is quite hot 2/3 of the way down , and the 2nd new rad is hot top one third. Takes the cold out of the air that's about it ..... so I am just googling now , I may have a Vison 500 clearview (from memory) that's an 8 KW apparently.... I wonder two things ,, I am burning nuggets and a bit of timber , so I wonder would I be better to use a better type of fuel that would heat the water faster /quicker?? I see on the clearview website that all their stoves can be retro fitted with boilers.....obviously mine has a boiler , but now I wonder can the boiler fitted in my stove be exchanged for a bigger boiler?! anyone who can advise In particular as regards exchanging boiler size , I would really appreciate it .....Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭freddyuk

That is a fantastic stove and you will not find better quality. I have one and it is infinitely controllable. I would not remove it. The Heat exchanger should bolt into the back so could be removed if you can get to the rear pipes. Is there a pump to the rads? It may be an option if not depending on the piping. Get some advice from someone onsite that knows their stuff.

freddyuk wrote: »
    That is a fantastic stove and you will not find better quality. I have one and it is infinitely controllable. I would not remove it. The Heat exhopping should bolt into the back so could be removed if you can get to the rear pipes. Is there a pump to the rads? It may be an option if not depending on the piping. Get some advice from someone onsite that knows their stuff.

Wife has veto it! Its a fab stove OK. I have now turned off towel rad / will turn on central heating water later so tank is hot / try a fire again/ the towel rail is always vhot. In hoping with it turned off tank hot / all water will flow to the two 2kw rads...if they got fairly warm i would be happy.. The two bedrooms would at least be warm! Surely there must be some device that can attach to stove boiler to increase water heat energy output! Thks for yr reply / will leave stove where is. Paddy

• Advertisement

Wife has veto it! Its a fab stove OK. I have now turned off towel rad / will turn on central heating water later so tank is hot / try a fire again/ the towel rail is always vhot. In hoping with it turned off tank hot / all water will flow to the two 2kw rads...if they got fairly warm i would be happy.. The two bedrooms would at least be warm! Surely there must be some device that can attach to stove boiler to increase water heat energy output! Thks for yr reply / will leave stove where is. Paddy

Update! By turning off towel rail two new rads increase heat somewhat. Stove centre guy reckons that the rads that were fitted are like 2 so that's 4 rads way too much. See pic. The plumber says that they are only 2kw each or less and changing to a single rad will make very....little if any difference. I know nothing about plumbing i would have thought that it would have made a noticeable difference...appreciate any views on this aspect / thks paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RJF

Is there a circulating pump?

hiya no pump.not designed for rads ..stove....towel rail..only put in as overflow ...if temp exceeded in tank... me thinks plumber show have ...checked output b4 hand! anyway he has agreed to replace double rads with single...might improve things !! ireally need to find out are there radiators ....same as towel rails in design .....light /high good output as towel rail is ..... towel rails wud look stupid in bedrooms lol ...im happy otherwise ..thks for reply
    paddy

Advertisement