Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineering Refresher Course?

• 06-02-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Evening all,

Can anyone know of or recommend any courses I could do to freshen up on structural engineering. Haven't done it since college (~12 years ago)
    Have been doing civil/environmental work and for the past few years project management.
    My work is leading me towards more structural jobs so I feel I need to get back in that area. I wont be designing or anything like that but really need to get clued in, if that makes sense.

I tried going back through books and college notes but to be honest I'm at nothing. At this stage I feel I need to go back to college!

Could anyone recommend any structured or taught courses that I can do?

Im also in the similar but not so urgent situation with Autocad. Im so far out of practice, its ridiculous.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

You could look for a eurocode training course. I attended a series of lectures a few years ago. I think they were organised by Engineers Ireland. There was a lecture on steel, concrete, timber, masonry, geotechnical and actions. Might be a nice refresher for you.

This book by Chanakya Arya is excellent. It does simple designs to BS and EN codes.
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Design-Structural-Elements-Chanakya-Arya/9780415467209

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jceng

Thanks Con for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RPJW

JCENG,
    Just wondering if you had any luck with your question re the above or what route did you take? Thinking of going the same road!!
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jceng

RPJW wrote: »
    JCENG,
    Just wondering if you had any luck with your question re the above or what route did you take? Thinking of going the same road!!
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi RPJW,
    No didnt really find anything suitable yet.
    Im going to have a look at Coursera and Edex and maybe a online postgrad or masters.

How about you?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RPJW

To be honest only started thinking about this and exploring options. Im in Construction Project Mgt also after doing a raft of engineering courses years ago so wouldnt mind trying to use what i have to date while also looking at something different! Fun your original post an more or less exactly what i was looking for an answer for!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement