Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy: Runners and/or insoles

Options
  • 06-02-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm new to running. I don't really know much about footwear or what the best types are. I started by myself going slowly and walking when I had to, but I've started running with work and the pace is much faster. Since I started with the work group I've noticed the arch of my right foot feels quite sore afterwards. It doesn't feel sore when I'm running, just afterwards.

I'm wondering if it's a problem with what I'm wearing while running, or what I'm wearing after running. I run in Nike Free 4 and then afterwards wear shoes with absolutely no support because I do very little walking in them.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know I need to go by my own feeling and if necessary get it checked out, just looking for a second opinion, if anyone knows which is the problem, or both.

As well as that, if the runners I'm wearing are awful could you advise me as to what would be good and where would be good? I'm near Tullamore/Athlone. Maybe I need more arch support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi, welcome to running :) Is there an Amphibian King near to you? They are really helpful and know their stuff, you'll come out with the right pair of shoes for you.
    The arch pain is not something you should ignore if it doesn't go away or gets worse. Best of luck and most of all, enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

aisoconnor wrote: »
    I'm new to running. I don't really know much about footwear or what the best types are. I started by myself going slowly and walking when I had to, but I've started running with work and the pace is much faster. Since I started with the work group I've noticed the arch of my right foot feels quite sore afterwards. It doesn't feel sore when I'm running, just afterwards.

I'm wondering if it's a problem with what I'm wearing while running, or what I'm wearing after running. I run in Nike Free 4 and then afterwards wear shoes with absolutely no support because I do very little walking in them.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know I need to go by my own feeling and if necessary get it checked out, just looking for a second opinion, if anyone knows which is the problem, or both.

As well as that, if the runners I'm wearing are awful could you advise me as to what would be good and where would be good? I'm near Tullamore/Athlone. Maybe I need more arch support.

Sounds to me like you are doing too much too soon and with the quick injection of pace you are over working muscles and tendons that are not used to the stress yet.

Nike Free are a lovely shoe but on account of their flexibility offer little or no support to the foot structure.

Best thing (apart from seeking advice for and management of the foot pain - physio, not here!) if you want to stay in the Free is dial it back a little and go at your own pace for a while. If you want to go with the group I would speed and distance you may need a stiffer shoe to support the foot for longer (still use the Free on your own shorter, easier runs)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

aisoconnor wrote: »
    I'm near Tullamore/Athlone.

If/when you're looking for footwear in the midlands, try Ready 2 Run in Tullamore. Been a couple of times and got some good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aisoconnor

AKW wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you are doing too much too soon and with the quick injection of pace you are over working muscles and tendons that are not used to the stress yet.

Nike Free are a lovely shoe but on account of their flexibility offer little or no support to the foot structure.

Best thing (apart from seeking advice for and management of the foot pain - physio, not here!) if you want to stay in the Free is dial it back a little and go at your own pace for a while. If you want to go with the group I would speed and distance you may need a stiffer shoe to support the foot for longer (still use the Free on your own shorter, easier runs)

They're very short distances, maybe 3k or less, but as I'm quite unfit that could definitely be a possibility.

I know here is not the place to look for medical advice, I just figured it might be something exactly like that - not wearing the right shoes - and that someone here might have experienced the same thing. I had only bought the Free for casual wear so I can't imagine they do offer much support. Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aisoconnor

vanderlyle wrote: »
    If/when you're looking for footwear in the midlands, try Ready 2 Run in Tullamore. Been a couple of times and got some good advice.

Awh excellent, very easy for me to get to. Thanks very much :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement