Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Gear S22 Episode 3 (8th February)

• 06-02-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭

da7ewj.jpg

They love a project on Top Gear. That long-ago attempt to build three amphibious cars may have been the series’ high-water mark, as it were. Since then there have been a string of whimsically engineered efforts to improve on existing designs: we’ve seen re-imagined motorhomes, mobility scooters, electric cars and vehicles for the elderly.

This week, they’re creating ambulances, with Clarkson adapting a Porsche and James May a hearse. But Richard Hammond decides the most important thing for an ambulance is to get people out of the way, so he disguises his as a van full of nuclear waste.

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
    3/10. Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to improve the ambulance, with the presenters all going their own separate ways to enhance one area they think could do with an overhaul. James focuses on passenger comfort, Richard tries to shorten response times by getting other drivers out of the way more effectively, an issue Jeremy tackles with the invention of what he calls the `sports ambulance'. Their three very different creations are then put to the test with a series of severe and often messy challenges. Plus, Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo is the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Radio Times

Rate tonight's episode 48 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Above average
    39% 19 votes
    Average
    35% 17 votes
    Below average
    16% 8 votes
    Terrible
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

At last a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car guest I will actually watch. The F1 driver ones are usually good and the hot lap is very competitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think we know what to expect given the ambulances, but hey, will give it a shot as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This show has just completely gone to shit

I honestly don't even want to watch it anymore but still will because what the fcuk else am I supposed to do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Chilean mugs this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

This show has just completely gone to shit

I honestly don't even want to watch it anymore but still will because what the fcuk else am I supposed to do

This series has started really well - both episodes before tonight were of a great standard and so far tonight's episode has been very funny and entertaining.

What a funny fellow you must be though, to watch a television programme that causes you such misery and annoyance.

• Advertisement

This is classic Top Gear in fairness. Great fun with the ambulances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

1.42.2 for Daniel Riccardo. Fastest time ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Woah!!!!!!!! That is some time from Riccardo.

What an amazing performance. I am literally stunned for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sufa wrote: »
    This series has started really well - both episodes before tonight were of a great standard and so far tonight's episode has been very funny and entertaining.

What a funny fellow you must be though, to watch a television programme that causes you such misery and annoyance.

I enjoy most of it.. just not the pointless and faked competitiveness and races that seemingly needs to be shoehorned into every episode.

Thank fcuk for subjectivity eh?

It'd be just as entertaining with some meaningful and measured comparisons, challenges etc.

Don't fear the reaper man :)

Best episode in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Just like the classic Top Gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,476 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I came very close to wetting myself during that episode. Haven't laughed that much in a long time! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

How long would I have to wait till it's up on iPlayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

this used to be a show about cars, didn't it?

I forwarded through the whole thing - no need to even watch it these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I love Top Gear but thought this week's episode was a pile of shíte apart from the Ricciardo lap.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Filler episode. Gets a bonus point for Blue Oyster Cult. I did laugh a few times, mainly at the stupidity of it all and bits designed to offend - poor Theale. At least Clarkson appeared to suffer when trying to do surgery.

cjmcork wrote: »

Ah yes, there it is for this week.

I drive an ambulance at weekends. I think that added to how hilarious that episode was. Just the right mix of piss taking and genuine good ideas (the stretchers in particular - genius)

Can't understand anyone who, during series 22, is still wondering about how "It used to be about cars"

Up on BBC iPlayer and has subtitles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I did not think tonights episode was good really. It was not even funny.Danial Ricccardo,s lap was amazing do. The first episode this season was not great either it was just silly. Everyone knows St.Petersburg was destroyed during WW2 and had to be rebuilt so it was not even an old city and they knew that too. Last weeks episode in Australia was ok but could have been a lot better. Hopefully next weeks episode will be better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Thought this weeks episode was great. Hammond catapulting the patient through the window at the end was a highlight. There seemed to be minimal scripted material as well (maybe the Peugeot driver delaying May?).

It also made a nice change to have an F1 star instead of some washed up popstar or B-list actor in the reasonably priced car.

Very enjoyable series so far. Still nowhere near the quality of old but enjoyable all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I liked the other episodes this series but it's disappointing when there's no proper car segment. It's great getting a review of new supercar or information on a company or having a history lesson of some older cars/companies.

The joke segments are fine but a whole episode of just that.... boring.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,600 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I thought this was very funny. Highlight being the patient going through the window at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought this was really enjoyable this week, some proper laugh out loud moments.

The unscripted/forced elements were minimised, but that was thanks to a great premise for the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I know siarpc gets a lot of hate, but how would you justify calling either ed sheerin or kiefer sutherland washed up b listers?

i liked it this week, but its not one of their best efforts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

The less they spend on an episode the better it is... So tonight was great!!!

AMKC wrote: »
    Everyone knows St.Petersburg was destroyed during WW2 and had to be rebuilt so it was not even an old city and they knew that too.
    I'm not sure what your point is here? If you mean St Petersburg was completely rebuilt in the 50s with wide roads, then no, that's how it was designed originally. In 1703. Yes, it's not an old city and the Twizy had no narrow lanes to go down - but so what? That's kind of like saying "I didn't like that Back to the Future film - flux capacitors don't actually exist so the whole film is silly"

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

They jumped the shark a long time ago.

Tonight's episode was truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Mikosyko wrote:

Mikosyko wrote:
    Tonight's episode was truly awful

Have to agree, enjoyed the first half, but towards the end couldn't help but thinking is this it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Enjoyed the first half , but couldn't help but think all the way through the second half, is this it??

• Advertisement

Mikosyko wrote: »

Tonight's episode was truly awful.

I think the show began to die for me around the time Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise were in the reasonably priced car. That was nearly five years ago. The specials are nothing like the ones in the late 00's and 'film' episodes like the race in St. Petersburg and and the trip in Australia seem a bit stale.

Tonight was a really enjoyable episode though. Less messing around and scripted rubbish and more crashing into things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That thunderbirds opening parody had me in tears...of laughter

(bad form when I have to distinguish)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

That was a classic episode. I'd been worried for a while but this one really did crack me up. Laughed out loud a good few times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Great episode. The boys back to their best. Some great lol moments
    cjmcork wrote: »

I forwarded through the whole thing - no need to even watch it these days :(

It sure was, in the 1990's.

I thought that episode was rather brilliant. Very funny as well although that Peugeot was a bit stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

It seems that there are two schools of thought on this episode. Either you loved it or hated it. I was firmly in the latter. Laughed all the way through the ambulances and the SIARPC was more interesting that the usual fare.

• Advertisement

So you were in the former category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The ambulance challenge was OK

My problem is they are too focused on trying to be funny, Jeremy clearly buying a car too small for the challenge, Hammond with the nuclear design, driving through brick walls, firing mannequins out the back, Mays remote control 'error' the Peugeot bit I hated.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    The ambulance challenge was OK

My problem is they are too focused on trying to be funny, Jeremy clearly buying a car too small for the challenge, Hammond with the nuclear design, driving through brick walls, firing mannequins out the back, Mays remote control 'error' the Peugeot bit I hated.

You'd wonder if they actually chose the vehicles or the producers gave them the vehicles with the aim of trying to create 'banter'.

Firing mannequins out the back was hilarious as was Jeremy's method. Mays remote control error was scripted rubbish as was the peugeot bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Thought that was a great episode, one of the better recently. That look the bus driver gave Hammond reminded me of Roger Moore's Bond in his 2CV in For Your Eyes Only.

1015131111565375815.jpg

What was the tribute at the end, the way Clarkson and co. got into their vehicles - Thunderbirds, or something?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Thought it was the best episode for yonks, serious laughter moments.
    Why was the whole town cordoned off at the end, are they knocking the whole thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can't believe so many people enjoyed it, i thought it was crap a total waste of 60 mins, an hour i'll never get back

acting the prat for a segment is bearable but when they do it for an entire episode it gets tiresome quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Loved it. Best episode in a while. Between trying to catch my breath pretty sure I split a kidney laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Thought it was the best episode for yonks, serious laughter moments.
    Why was the whole town cordoned off at the end, are they knocking the whole thing ?

Looks like a place for the army to train?

fryup wrote: »
    can't believe so many people enjoyed it, i thought it was crap a total waste of 60 mins, an hour i'll never get back

acting the prat for a segment is bearable but when they do it for an entire episode it gets tiresome quickly

I think Top Gear may be the wrong show for you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ofcork

They should change the name at this stage because car reviews are gone,any fifth gear on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Might actually like SIARPC this sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

One of the best episodes I've seen for a while. I can't remember the last time I was laughing so much during Top Gear. Everytime they showed James raising up the tailgate very slow I was in stitches.

I wish they'd concentrate on episodes like these again as the road trip ones have become a bit boring lately as with the St Petersburg and Australia ones.

Advertisement