Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency sirens and lights laws/rules at night in a residential area.

Options
  • 06-02-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

hi all, I live on a large road in Drumcondra, which is busy until about 7pm and I've noticed recently that ambulances and gardai still blare the sirens at all hours of the night even when the roads are near empty.

The main road has a lot of residential apartments and houses in the area. I regularly get woken at all hours of the night from them, when there isn't a car in sight!
    I'm also an insomiac so I know the traffic frequency during the night.

Is there not a cut off point in which these services have to turn the sirens off at night....or law or road rule for noise pollution for such?

I know there's 3 hospitals near by, but between 12-5am nobody is really on the roads except taxis, and that's mostly at the weekends.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No when there's an emergency they don't think about you in your flat.

They are thinking more about the baby who is have a seizure or the person who has just been hit by a car.

and rightly so.

Stop being so selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

welcome to dublin

i live in phibsborough close to the mater hospital & mnt joy garda station. constantly blaring sirens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I agree with the other posters. If there is an emergency blues lights and sirens are required. Often when I'm walking in town if there are no cars on the road the emergency services just use the lights, the siren only goes on when coming to a set of lights or if there is something in the way. Did you research the area before you moved into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Your not a very good insomniac if the sirens are waking you!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

unfortunately I'm only living here because it accepts rent allowance! if I had the option where I live I'd be probably In wexford, but I'm stuck here til I finish my course, get a job and money to move. but it wasn't this bad when I came here, it has gotten this bad in the more recent weeks :/

• Advertisement

Your not a very good insomniac if the sirens are waking you!

I get on average 6 hours a week of sleep! so I often go up to 72 hours without a wink, so sleep is quite precious when I can get it! And ear plugs don't work because I've had operations on both ears so they don't fit.

SMJSF wrote: »
    I get on average 6 hours a week of sleep! so I often go up to 72 hours without a wink, so sleep is quite precious when I can get it! And ear plugs don't work because I've had operations on both ears so they don't fit.

I was only messing with the reply but you have me intrigued now-how do you manage with only six hours sleep a week?
    Jesus if I didn't get that in one night I would be useless the next day.

I was only messing with the reply but you have me intrigued now-how do you manage with only six hours sleep a week?
    Jesus if I didn't get that in one night I would be useless the next day.

I've had awful sleep problems since a kid (about 10y/o), so at this stage I can manage by now at 21, but after about 50-60 hours without sleep, I'm quick turning into a cranky snapping emotional fe*ker!!! I've gotten 2 hours last night, and I don't think tonight I will be sleeping at all!! so right now, i'm awake since 3.42am this morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

SMJSF wrote: »
    And ear plugs don't work because I've had operations on both ears so they don't fit.
    Get the wax ones, they fit to any shape ear.

Sorry to hear that it sounds awful. Do you feel tired all the time or is it just normal for you?
    Also sorry for dragging your thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Try cotton wool dip it in olive oil not too much though, I too live very close to the mater and have noisy neighbours and this tactic dulls the noise and helps.

I believe the sirens are to alert any traffic ahead and as the ambulance/squad car drivers would be under pressure to get to the hospital etc asap it is important they use them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Gordon wrote: »
    Get the wax ones, they fit to any shape ear.

I assume op has tried them, but if you havent, you really, really, really need to.
    They're a bit awkward in that they're covered in cotton and its a pain to remove it. But I'm telling you, they're the only ones I use. I used to live in Temple Bar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Oink wrote: »
    I assume op has tried them, but if you havent, you really, really, really need to.
    They're a bit awkward in that they're covered in cotton and its a pain to remove it. But I'm telling you, they're the only ones I use. I used to live in Temple Bar!!!

I'm married to a very loud snorer (grrrrr!!!!) and I use the Quies wax ones. They have saved my sanity and my sleep!

Have you been referred to a Sleep Clinic OP?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I'm married to a very loud snorer (grrrrr!!!!) and I use the Quies wax ones. They have saved my sanity and my sleep!

Yup. Them's the ones! Pure bliss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Try living in Tallafornia OP, Garda helicopter hovers over my estate most nights.

It's like an invasion force sometimes between search lights & rotors at all hours :mad:

Sorry to hear that it sounds awful. Do you feel tired all the time or is it just normal for you? Also sorry for dragging your thread off topic.

Its normal for me being tired, but normal energy levels for everyone else would possibly kill me!

thanks for the suggestions for ear plugs, that would be an easy solution!
    but I've chronic ear infections which includes drainage (discharge) due to past surgeries and problems, so I need to keep my ears free from unnecessary objects. I couldn't even learn how to swim because of the danger of getting water in them (you can guess how annoying just going for a shower everyday is!!) :(

Advertisement