Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Free Agency 2015 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very happy with McCourty re-signing, thrilled in fact!

Only really sweating on Revis now, a pretty big sweat of course but given the contract given to McCourty it appears to me that the money is there for him too. Vereen is someone I still want to come back but not as big of a sweat as these two guys obviously!

Has Dan Connolly been cut yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Good but nothing special. A deep threat and not much else

I don't think he's an upgrade over Crabtree

Likely won't be cheaper either

Still Boldin and Smith would be a good pairing, both offering different things

Seriously? Crabtree was awful last year and is looking for WR#1 money. I wouldn't take him back for the league minimum at this stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jayson craddock tweeted during the night that Kap was for trade

I'm presuming this is bollocks as it doesn't make any sense at all. The 49ers have no other options at QB. There's no one in Free Agency and no one in the draft that they have a realistic shot at.

The only way this would work if there was another QB going the other direction. I'm calling BS on this one.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/574811861369012224

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm presuming this is bollocks as it doesn't make any sense at all. The 49ers have no other options at QB. There's no one in Free Agency and no one in the draft that they have a realistic shot at.

The only way this would work if there was another QB going the other direction. I'm calling BS on this one.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/574811861369012224

Well the talk was Foles the other way. With how mental the eagles have been in FA and the realisation that chip is going to do what he wants and be damned opinions there are gonna be a lot of crazy whispers involving them.

Unless it was a first + Foles the 49ers should want no part of that deal. I just don't see it at all. No sense whatsoever.

The fact that none of the 49ers reporters are reporting this would seem to indicate the source for this must be outside of SF head office, I hope this is just usual chatter at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Unless it was a first + Foles the 49ers should want no part of that deal. I just don't see it at all. No sense whatsoever.

The fact that none of the 49ers reporters are reporting this would seem to indicate the source for this must be outside of SF head office, I hope this is just usual chatter at this stage of the season.

I don't think that the niners would get a 1st for Kaep after last year let alone a 1st and Foles!!!

But it won't be happening. The Eagles are gonna try give up their 1sts for the next 27 years to get Mariota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

JCTO wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what happens Revis now. McCourty five-year, $47.5 million deal. 28m or so guaranteed.

The money is certainly there and Revis is on record for saying that McCourty is one of the best players he's ever played with. He loves his smarts & intelligence, so McCourty staying can hopefully only be a good thing towards helping Revis stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foles and a first for Kaepernick???? Kaepernick is a very average QB, Foles would be an upgrade.

No he wouldn't be an upgrade. I was saying a straight swap for for Foles would not represent a good deal for SF. I don't want to see him traded unless they got some ridiculous offer such as the one I posted. Not that I think it would happen or that it should happen.

Apparently the team being linked at the moment is the bears. So it would likely involve Cutler which is even worse again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Apparently the team being linked at the moment is the bears. So it would likely involve Cutler which is even worse again.

The way things are going in SF that's just the kind of ridiculously bad move that you guys might make.

I sure hope so anyway. Cutler and the fifth rounder we got for Marshall, and you take all of his awful contract. It'd be like Christmas never stopped in Chicago.

• Advertisement

We don't have the Cap space to take on that contract I don't think, unless he was to re-do it.

But as I said above, none of this is happening. If I say it often enough, I'll start to believe it.

No he wouldn't be an upgrade. I was saying a straight swap for for Foles would not represent a good deal for SF. I don't want to see him traded unless they got some ridiculous offer such as the one I posted. Not that I think it would happen or that it should happen.

i dont think foles would be an upgrade just a change in style of qb i feel there on the same level as players certainly kaps not worth foles and a first though a later round pick maybe

edit: does not matter anyway adam schefter just said its a false rumour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans apparently making a strong push for Brandon Graham followed by the Fins/Giants.

Honestly dont know much about him, can anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    Foles and a first for Kaepernick???? Kaepernick is a very average QB, Foles would be an upgrade.

I'm not Kap's biggest fan by any means, but I don't see how you can say that.

Allow Foles to get to the same amount of games as Kap, and you'll see a similar trend. I don't foresee him ever setting the NFL alight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Orlando Franklin to sign with the Chargers on a 5 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Suh getting $114 million over 6 years with $60 million guaranteed is insane. Signing free agents with that sort of money is why teams never win Superbowls.

Titans apparently making a strong push for Brandon Graham followed by the Fins/Giants.

the only reason he's not more known is because he's been very unlucky he was drafted as a 4-3 end over jpp and morgan (much do the eagles fans destain as we all wanted earl thomas to take over from dawkins) and if i remember correctly he was outproducing both in his rookie year before getting injured it took him the bones of a year to get back playing and he absolutely ripped it up he was insane best end int he league for a while (albeit in a wide 9). after that we changed schemes and it took him a year to adjust to olb but he still pass rushed pretty much every play he played.

can't remember what the titans scheme is but if he played as an end in a 4-3 or only blitzed as an olb he's a potential stud. i genuinely think if given a consistent run in a 4-3 he can end up a borderline pro bowler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Redskins closing in on Stephen Paea. 4 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was away last week so maybe I've missed something but has there been a change to the rules around agreeing deals with free agents prior to the actual date ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pernell McPhee to the Bears

5 years, 40 million, 16 million guranteed

Thats a good signing for the Bears

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was away last week so maybe I've missed something but has there been a change to the rules around agreeing deals with free agents prior to the actual date ?

They're allowed a couple of days of "legal tampering", before free agency officially opens, during which they can begin striking deals. Basically the nfl knew they were doing it anyway and rather than punish everyone they just changed the rules. Gives the media more speculation and rumour, which is all they need to keep football in the headlines. So everyone wins.

Pernell McPhee to the Bears

5 years, 40 million, 16 million guranteed

Thats a good signing for the Bears
    Yeah it looks pretty good from what I've been reading, very positive noise. What's the opinion of ravens fans? Seems like he was a victim of salary cap issues more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They're allowed a couple of days of "legal tampering", before free agency officially opens, during which they can begin striking deals. Basically the nfl knew they were doing it anyway and rather than punish everyone they just changed the rules. Gives the media more speculation and rumour, which is all they need to keep football in the headlines. So everyone wins.

But of common sense from the league. I missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

There is crazy money still being spent - the way things are going there will be a load of teams with a few top players and a load of scrubs.

If a team is patient they could pick up some good second tier players at a really good price.

Broncos looking to sign DL Kendall Langford.

The Bears apparently looking to add Antrell Rolle. Won't lose too much sleep once he goes, his play has not backed up his mouth for the last 18 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just listening to Titans GM Ruston Webster on one of the Nashville Stations.

- Spoke to a lot of agents, a lot of guys taking less money to stay (hometown discount)
    - Aiming focus on OLBs/DEs and pass rushing areas, DLB involved when players visit.
    - Titans hope to sign some of their own guys tomorrow Morgan and a few other, hopefully Klug is involved here.

Separately

- McCourty said the Titans did a lot of good things in their pursuit but the Pats stepped up and once they made their interest clear he was staying. Cited the "ability to win" as one of main reasons for staying.

- Taylor Mays SS formerly of the Bengals was seen at a Nashville medical facility apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Staying in Philly now it seems.

4 years, 6.5 million per year, 14 million guaranteed.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Staying in Philly now it seems.

4 years, 6.5 million per year, 14 million guaranteed.

Excellent deal if so and it means our front 7 is up there with anyone's

Excellent deal if so and it means our front 7 is up there with anyone's

Smashing bit of business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

It seems though as though the terms of this "legal tampering" period may have been flouted, with NFL.com quoting an NFL memo which read ""Clubs were advised of the rules for the three-day negotiating period in PP-23-15 (attached). These rules include limitations such as that a club cannot make an 'offer;' or enter into a written or oral agreement of any kind, express or implied, or make promises or representations of any type concerning the terms or conditions of employment to be offered to any Unrestricted Free Agent for inclusion in a Player Contract after the start of the new League Year; or provide assurances of intent as to the future execution of an NFL Player Contract.

"Clubs were further advised that "Any attempt to undermine the purpose of this negotiating period may be considered conduct detrimental to the League." At this time, the League office is beginning investigations into a number of reported agreements with clubs. Violations will be dealt with accordingly."

I wonder what the penalty would be for any team found to have violated these rules.

Full story at http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477438/article/nfl-sends-teams-memo-about-early-agreements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jake Long released by the Rams.

How do you negotiate without making an offer?

Negotiation is nothing more than offer and counter offer.

Apparently Browner has been told to check out his market value in relation to a trade, would be a good pick up for a lot of teams. I like him, but he draws enough flags that I wouldn't be completely opposed to him going assuming Revis is staying and Bill has someone in mind to take over the role he brings to the team.

Lupati to the Cardinals it seems

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Apparently Browner has been told to check out his market value in relation to a trade, would be a good pick up for a lot of teams. I like him, but he draws enough flags that I wouldn't be completely opposed to him going assuming Revis is staying and Bill has someone in mind to take over the role he brings to the team.

What's his cap hit?

5.5 iirc, not bad at all.

I would be very happy to keep him, interested to see what he would be let go for also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Jeremy Parnell (ex-cowboys OL) heading to Jacksonville on 5yr $32m contract with $13m guaranteed. Also former Dolphins DT Jared Odrick signing with us on what will probably be around $7m a year.

And lastly it seems that we're leading the race for Julius Thomas and possibly also DeMarco Murray. This could be a crazy offseason in Jacksonville. Can definitely see us picking up Thomas, but dont think Murray will sign up, especially since our startling lack of an O-Line

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Jeremy Parnell (ex-cowboys OL) heading to Jacksonville on 5yr $32m contract with $13m guaranteed. Also former Dolphins DT Jared Odrick signing with us on what will probably be around $7m a year.

And lastly it seems that we're leading the race for Julius Thomas and possibly also DeMarco Murray. This could be a crazy offseason in Jacksonville. Can definitely see us picking up Thomas, but dont think Murray will sign up, especially since our startling lack of an O-Line

Titans could well be a long way off3rd spot in AFC South at this rate

kev_s88 wrote: »

i think murray will sign with whoever gives the most money this is his one chance for a big payday

• Advertisement

apparently frank gore is now reconsidering joining the eagles this offseason is going bad quickly :(

apparently frank gore is now reconsidering joining the eagles this offseason is going bad quickly :(

any idea why?

any idea why?

nope but an eagles fan has alread churned this out :D

I'm still hoping its false to be honest i dont see why he would pull out of a deal if there was a handshake agreement there

edit: also a lot of eagles fans are worried about the way free agents are viewing the team at the moment so I'm hoping this is not a reflection of recent moves

edit 2: ok apparently gore agreed to a deal but is after backing out as the colts have now offered more money

julius thomas to the jags for 9 mil a year

Jags are making some very poor signings. Imho of course

cary williams reportedly signing for the seahawks effectively meaning the hawks and eagles swapped there two corners. cary should will be an able replacement for maxwell he got more stick than he deserved from eagles fans and his holding will go unnoticed in that secondary

kryogen wrote: »
    Jags are making some very poor signings. Imho of course

its hard to say the jags need a few signings like thomas and demarco to generate some buzz around the franchise and help blake bortles develop. i agree that they have massively overpaid for thomas but they kind of have to as its the only incentive a player has to join at the moment. damnd if you do damned if you dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rodney Hudson leaves Kansas City for Oakland and is now the highest paid center in the league

5 years 44.5 million

The Raiders current center Wisniewski will now hit FA and seems to have a good reputation.He'll get paid somewhere. Jags could do with a new center

Rodney Hudson leaves Kansas City for Oakland and is now the highest paid center in the league

5 years 44.5 million

The Raiders current center Wisniewski will now hit FA and seems to have a good reputation.He'll get paid somewhere. Jags could do with a new center

Madness letting Wisniewski go & signing Hudson. Downgrading talent & prob could have gotten Wis for less.

Jags have signed Dan Skuta on a 5 year $ 20.5 million deal. They really are just throwing money all over the place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement