Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would an nfl running back be any good at gaa?

Options
  • 06-02-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

With the finish of the nfl season and beginning of gaa. Im still in awe of the speed and strength of nfl running backs and wondering how that would transfer to my sport. Currently about a month out from games but its a long year so about 3 months from peak needed. Currently doing 3 days in gym and goin to start 1 on pitch. Will rejoin team training in about a month. Heres what I currently am doing.

Week 1:
    Day 1:
    Squat 0.8 body weight 4*6
    Hip flexor stretches and back stretches.
    inverted rows 3*8
    Dips/widegrip pullups superset

Day 2:
    Deadlift 4*6 bodyweight
    Box jumps 3*8
    Overhead press 3*8
    Shoulder flys reverse flys
    leg lifts

Day 3:
    Bench press 4*6 0.7 bodyweight
    chin ups 4*4
    Ab wheel
    braced walk.

Day 4:
    On pitch
    lateral speed drills, high knees. 10 yards each direction
    Skiing plyo drills 10 * each side
    10*straight line sprints 20 yards
    1*1.5k run.

Any suggestions to fill this out/improve it? I go to gym on lunch hour so could go an extra day if would help. Forty min sessions. Im getting professional tips and have been researching what running backs do for preseason but still have a kind of ad hoc programme so its probably got gaps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Switching up day 1.

Going legs and shoulders.
    Hip flexor stretches.
    Squats.
    overhead press
    lunges
    reverse fly.
    lateral raises

Week 1

Day 1 done
    Fecked up and left out a bit of band work.
    Squat 0.88 of bodyweight 4*6
    Overhead press 0.44 of bodyweight 3*8
    Box Jumps 2*12
    Lateral/front raise 3*8
    Reverse Flys 3*8

Forgot lunges

Week 2

Squat remains unchanged. Not sure of my knees. Need advice on that.

Deadlift. Upped weight decreased reps to gain power. Felt good days after. Can do wide grip pullups now also

Bench. Really noticing improvement since ive resisted bar on way down. My initial weight I was on for weeks was too Easy after first week.

Going to add more mobility and speed work. Walking over hurdles and forty min session on pitch going from 10 to forty yard sprints

Advertisement