Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visa with a pending surgery

• 06-02-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone

I hope someone might be able to help me or have any advice. Myself and the OH are looking to go to Australia on a WHV. The problem is that I am on a waiting list for the last two years to have an operation on my shoulder. We are doing everything we can to get the surgery but to no avail so far. I am just wondering does anyone know if I can

(a) Start applying for my visa while I'm on a waiting list with the HSE

(b) I know its a long shot but is there any chance of getting the shoulder surgery out in Oz

Any information would be great. We are desperate to go. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I take myself off the waiting list and go without surgery its a risk because I might have trouble getting work with a dodgy shoulder (???) but on the other hand if we stay and wait it out, the op may never happen or take a few more years. I'm not getting any younger!

I would really appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

What ages are you both? The WHV is pretty quick to get and you have one year to activate it once approved. After that it expires and you can't get another.

There is no chance you will get the surgery done on medicare over here. You might if you are willing to go private and pay. Overseas visitors health insurance is no good either as its a pre existing condition.

I would wait it out in Ireland for the surgery and then come out unless you fancy flying home for the surgery when it comes through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Batgurl wrote: »
    What ages are you both? The WHV is pretty quick to get and you have one year to activate it once approved. After that it expires and you can't get another.

I thought if you were granted an WHV, but never activate it. Then you are eligible to apply again? Has that changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought if you were granted an WHV, but never activate it. Then you are eligible to apply again? Has that changed?

Nope, as long as it's not activated then it hasn't been used and can apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ishywall87

Batgurl wrote: »

There is no chance you will get the surgery done on medicare over here. You might if you are willing to go private and pay. Overseas visitors health insurance is no good either as its a pre existing condition.

I would wait it out in Ireland for the surgery and then come out unless you fancy flying home for the surgery when it comes through?
    Hey Batgurl

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for getting back. We have a lot to think about, not 100% sure how much I would be limited work wise with a bad shoulder so that is something else to look into. I'm 27 and herself is 26 so we have time but just really want to get out there before we get too settled at home.

Advertisement