Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 month old with MRSA

Options
  • 06-02-2015 11:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

hi

just got told today by doctor that our 14 MONTH old has MRSA. just been doing a bit of reading and it seems most cases have boils or an abscess on the skin......but our lad doesn't have either.

they took a swab from his eye last Monday as he had sticky eyes and the result of this swab came back today as MRSA.

Any parents have any experience of this in a child this young.....any comments welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is it possible he's just carrying it?

My father in law had it up his nose while he was in hospital but he never got sick with it it was just there..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

January wrote: »
    Is it possible he's just carrying it?

My father in law had it up his nose while he was in hospital but he never got sick with it it was just there..

could be January.
    I wasn't present at doctors. the wife was and she got such a shock she forgot to ask all the questions.

but from reading, a lot of people seem to get boils and abscesses with puss etc

but our lad has no physical symptoms that im aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

could be January.
    I wasn't present at doctors. the wife was and she got such a shock she forgot to ask all the questions.

but from reading, a lot of people seem to get boils and abscesses with puss etc

but our lad has no physical symptoms that im aware of.

Try not to worry. You wouldn't randomly develop boils etc on skin unless he had a wound or skin lesion that got infected with Mrsa. The mrsa inhibits the healing process. His eye may be sore for a while but your doc has prob prescribed some chloromycetin eye drops or similar? Try not to Google! It's not your friend! Go back to your doc and ask any questions you have and voice any concerns. Hand hygiene is paramount with MRSA so not to pass it on. You would be surprised how much is in the community. Hope your guy is feeling better soon.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Try not to worry. You wouldn't randomly develop boils etc on skin unless he had a wound or skin lesion that got infected with Mrsa. The mrsa inhibits the healing process. His eye may be sore for a while but your doc has prob prescribed some chloromycetin eye drops or similar? Try not to Google! It's not your friend! Go back to your doc and ask any questions you have and voice any concerns. Hand hygiene is paramount with MRSA so not to pass it on. You would be surprised how much is in the community. Hope your guy is feeling better soon.

hey. Thanks again.

yes the doctor has prescribed him eye drops and also nasal spray.

yeah, we are extra careful now with hand hygiene.

it just sounds like our lad has colonised MRSA as opposed to actually being infected with MRSA.......but im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Tom, was your child an inpatient in hospital recently?
    MRSA is rife in wards and very easy to pick up due to inadequate handwashing.

If your son has no symptoms,(no wounds etc..) don't worry about it, just use the spray and eye drops.
    I had it in a small wound once, it healed, no longterm problems.

• Advertisement

Tom, was your child an inpatient in hospital recently?
    MRSA is rife in wards and very easy to pick up due to inadequate handwashing.

If your son has no symptoms,(no wounds etc..) don't worry about it, just use the spray and eye drops.
    I had it in a small wound once, it healed, no longterm problems.

princess, he was in temple street for 2 nights in December just gone. the reason he was in was due to h2 febrile convulsions, he hasn't had the convolutions dince. .

so maybe he picked it up in there. ........or the bloody germ fest creche.

Advertisement