Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection question.

Options
  • 06-02-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

I have recently bought the adjoining house next door.How difficult/expensive/practical would it be to connect the property to my meter as I plan not to use it for rental and therefore would avoid standing charges?My elderly parents will use it from time to time but it will be idle most of the time.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This would not be a difficult exercise.
    The problem that you may have is that the supply for your house may not have the capacity for two houses. However it may be possible to resolve this by not having instantenious showers, electric oven, electric hob etc. Use gas or oil instead. Modern LED lighting uses very little power. An "enhanced" single phase supply may also be something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Wouldn't be too difficult to do but a word of caution. You will leave yourself open to massive reconnection costs at a later date and will need certificates off a registered electrical contractor.

If circumstances change and you ever rent it out.
    My advice would be to leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Good advise. You might save a few bob now but the re-connection will cost you more in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

meercat wrote: »
    My advice would be to leave it alone.

If you plan to leave it as a stand-alone house then I would suggest not disconnecting the meter to save a small amount of money.

If you plan to fully integrate the house into yours (breaking through the adjoining walls in one or two locations) then sure - disconnect the water, electricity gas etc to save on standing charges.

Advertisement