Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike for a fat guy

• 07-02-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hey all ,
    I'm trying to loose weight and while I am losing it my current weight makes it very hard on the bones to jog every night.I want to get a bike but I weigh 22 st and am 6' 1" so not sure if an "off the shelf bike " would be ok for my size.
    What do I need to look for in a bike , where should I look and any recommendations.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

It's all about the wheels really..

You can pick up a decent alu frame from 500-600, You might be better at that weight getting a hand built set approx 500 euro, but they will be bomb proof.

On the other hand maybe look at 2nd hand..

Bottom line.......

You should have no major problems getting on the road, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd suggest you try a bike shop near you, explain what you're looking for and see what they have. You can always do this in a couple of shops, to see what patterns emerge - you can still go the second hand route, once you have a better idea of what will work for you.

Paddy

Ps the fit of the bike will be key to your long term comfort, so either get the shop to do it, or put a little time into fine tuning it over your initial rides if you do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The rims we can recommend for a heavy rider are the followings:

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/mavic-cxp-33-28-road-rim/aid:46530

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/xtreme-airline-4-28--road-rim/aid:47535#

Please send me an information which rim you prefer an which hub you want to have exactly.

If it was me I'd order 105 hub 36 spoke wheels. A friend of similar weight got the following from rose bikes

The above is what rose recommended for a friend of similar weight. Use 105 hubs were rose rim above and 36 spoke and you should be good to go.

Other than wheels bike will will handle you fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Buy an off the peg entry level cyclo/touring bike. Because flexibility is most likely an issue right now I'd recommend buying a touring style or cycle-cross style bike rather than a pure road bike or a hybrid. This will mean you have the dropped bars which are better for long spins, but maintain a more upright position than a conventional road bike and they generally come with wheels which are sturdier than normal road wheels.

Look for a second hand cyclo-cross bike, it's just the end of the season now so there should be a few floating around, the Giant TCX or something like it would be a good place to start in cyclo-cross world. The Kona Surta is a good entry level touring bike to consider.

Invest in good bibpants. Altura do good quality at decent prices. the bib will help "hold in" any extra bits and the padding will mean you can spend far longer in the saddle without being extremely sore afterwards.

Advertisement