Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improving Pedalling Efficiency

• 07-02-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm trying to find out as much as I can on improving my pedalling technique. I tried pedalling with one leg around the yard and found that my right leg isn't to bad but my left is brutal.

I'm finding it difficult to engage all my muscles that I need to complete a rotation.

I'm just wondering have any of you got any exercises both on and off the bike that could help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

DMW22 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm trying to find out as much as I can on improving my pedalling technique. I tried pedalling with one leg around the yard and found that my right leg isn't to bad but my left is brutal.

I'm finding it difficult to engage all my muscles that I need to complete a rotation.

I'm just wondering have any of you got any exercises both on and off the bike that could help me out?
    just cycle your bike more using gears and cadence that feels natural and sustainable and include some shorter sections where you use slightly higher and lower cadence than what feels most comfortable.. forget about all the gimmicks, one legged cycling, pulling up on the pedals and so on.. they don't work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The cyclists in the study were already elite. The strength training was fine tuning for them. The OP is not elite, he needs to work on his pedalling style.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

If you're near a gym that has a Watt bike it might help to do a few sessions on it. It's a great tool to help improve pedal stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Given the time of year and weather, rollers might be a help. I got a set last year and found my pedalling got smoother after using the rollers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Do track! Or ride a fixie (new bike!), you have to pedal 'round', it will definitely help your pedaling style.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I've been thinking about getting a set of rollers or a turbo so looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and invest.

I'll keep trying to practice at slow speeds until I can get either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Rollers are much better for pedaling smoothness. You have to be smooth on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get advice on cleat positioning (or get a bike fit for it). Follow this by spinning away while slightly under geared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ten answers and almost as many differing ideas. Yet, not one of the answers has suggested a coach!

Good pedal technique really helps with the efficiency of cycling so it's very important. I'd be interested to hear which of the above works for you.

Advertisement