Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Alarm

Options
  • 07-02-2015 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking to upgrade the Alarm system in my home which is approx a 10 year old Astec.

I've been having problems with the alarm going off a lot in the middle of the night so I've had enough and I've decided to go for a new modern system.
    I've been getting the current one serviced every two years or there abouts but issues persist.

So I've looked around online and on boards about recommended systems which is great and very helpful. I also learned a lot about alarm types and options etc.

I've decided that Siemens or Risco might be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure who installs these models or do most installers use these but brand them with their logos?

If anyone has any suggested installers that install the above models it would really help me out.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good installers would be well trained by multiple manufacturers. I would recommend Siemens, Risco and GSD as all these provide wired and wireless options with free apps and free notifications and free remote access.
    The advice as always is shop around and get as much information as possible.
    As a consumer in general I am always wary of any company trying to push a single brand or model. Look at what is going to suit your needs not the installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

bradyiano wrote: »
    I'm looking to upgrade the Alarm system in my home which is approx a 10 year old Astec.

I've been having problems with the alarm going off a lot in the middle of the night so I've had enough and I've decided to go for a new modern system.
    I've been getting the current one serviced every two years or there abouts but issues persist.

So I've looked around online and on boards about recommended systems which is great and very helpful. I also learned a lot about alarm types and options etc.

I've decided that Siemens or Risco might be what I'm looking for but I'm not sure who installs these models or do most installers use these but brand them with their logos?

If anyone has any suggested installers that install the above models it would really help me out.

If you are upgrading form an Astec system then I would recommend the GSD system. This can use Astec devices on windows and doors meaning you may not need to replace every device in your premises. It also gives you the ability to add wire free sensors if needs be now or in the future as it is a hybrid system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bradyiano

Thanks for the advise, but any suggestions on installers that deal with GSD (or the others mentioned)?
    There seems to be so many Installers it's hard to know where to start.

Good tip on the GSD system with the Astec devices

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ring GSD & they will put you in touch with PSA licenced installers in your area.
    Phone:(01) 524 2691

Thanks for the advise, but any suggestions on installers that deal with GSD (or the others mentioned)?
    There seems to be so many Installers it's hard to know where to start.

Good tip on the GSD system with the Astec devices

Have a look here for suppliers in your area, if they cant help a call to GSD will put you in touch with installers.
    It does work out cheaper utilizing the Astec devices but I would have the zones in question looked at. No matter what systems you use if you have issues you will still have them after an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bradyiano

Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Also will get the installers to do a full check on the system I currently have.

Yes they should check all devices. This will determine what needs to be replaced. With the GSD wire free devices you also have the option to wire wired devices into them so if there was an issue with a cable you could use a mixture of wired and wire free devices on cables that are good to use.

That would be standard procedure for any good installers..

Yes they should check all devices. This will determine what needs to be replaced. With the GSD wire free devices you also have the option to wire wired devices into them so if there was an issue with a cable you could use a mixture of wired and wire free devices on cables that are good to use.

Advertisement