Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ455 or Ruger 10/22

Options
  • 07-02-2015 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a new rifle, it's between a CZ455 and a Ruger 10/22

Any pros or cons for both rifles ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

hexosan wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a new rifle, it's between a CZ455 and a Ruger 10/22

Any pros or cons for both rifles ??

Hexo,
    Are you new to the sport? Have you shot much? What do you plan on doing with it? Punch holes in paper? Bunny bashing?

Give us an idea what you want to do and we'll be better able to help.

I have a few 22lr's, my favorite is the 10/22. Lot's of aftermarket support for it. I like to put holes in paper and a bit of field work with bunnies.

The CZ's have a great reputation and if it wasn't the 50th Anniversary of the 10/22, I would probably be getting a CZ.

If you have no real preference, start looking around, there's always a good deal to be had if you can wait for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

I had planned on a cz455 but then seen the 10/22 and I'm swinging more that way now.

Paper and bunny bashing is what I'm after. Have a Krico .22 at the moment.

no problem with waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

hexosan wrote: »
    I had planned on a cz455 but then seen the 10/22 and I'm swinging more that way now.

Paper and bunny bashing is what I'm after. Have a Krico .22 at the moment.

Since you have already had a bolt action, perhaps, the semi is the way to go.

Are you in a club? Can you "try before you buy?"

If not, have a look around at some clubs, like the Harbour House and see if there are having any open shoots. Head over and meet some people. You may even source a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I had a CZ 452 in .22 and swapped that for a HMR and both were very accurate but I got a new 10/22 during the week and went out with it today for the first time it promise's to be fabulous fun gun. The one below in the link is the one I got.
    While semis are regarded as less accurate than bolts the fun aspect is worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxENqNnQILE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

The 10/22 is a great little gun, it's light, inexpensive, easy to use and there's a lot of aftermarket stuff to get yours just right for you.
    I changed from a bolt action cz to a 10/22 and haven't looked back.

May just keep an eye on the for sales thread. If anyone hears of anything for sale keep me in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

My own opinion on the two firearms is that the CZ is a fantastic rifle and a tack driver right out of the box.

The Ruger on the other hand will need some work out of the box, or in other words, more €€'s

I think the Ruger can be as a good, or even better then the CZ but its a question of money and effort.

If you just want cheap and handy go for the CZ.

If you dont mind spending money and enjoy upgrading bits and pieces, going online and doing research, and possibly a trip to a gunsmith, then the Ruger is a very good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

i had a 10/22 and it was great crack, then i traded it in for a 455 thumbhole.
    both great guns but you cant beat the 455 for accuracy, i am getting 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards with it (and a good scope)
    saying that you cant beat the 10/22 for fun and all the mods you can do to it.
    at the end of the day you wont go wrong with either 1!!

I suppose in an ideal (debt free) world I'd just buy both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Both is def the way to go, buy the 2 of them 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

My shooting buddy has had both in the last few years.

He - to say the least - knows his way around a gun and found the 10/22 a bit too problematic. It also needed a trigger job and one or two tweaks out of the box.

He had a lot of fun with it, but lost confidence and in the end he went back to a CZ455, because it goes "bang" every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

You won't ever get much better (if any better) bang-per-buck than the CZ's. Great rifle straight out of the box.

The 10/22's are a bit like a Harley Davison - what you get as stock will do the job but it takes farther investment to get the best out of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

I have the 455 and indeed it does go bang each time, and shoots better than me. Can't say about 10/22 never had or wanted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

10/22 is a great gun. You will eventually want a trigger, stock and barrel - several hundred quids worth- there are so many damn things for them!(although you can't get everything here)
    CZ will need very little, €30 trigger shim maybe.

Does anybody here have both? It would be interesting to see which leaves the safe most

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

mrbrianj wrote: »
    10/22 is a great gun. You will eventually want a trigger, stock and barrel - several hundred quids worth- there are so many damn things for them!(although you can't get everything here)
    CZ will need very little, €30 trigger shim maybe.

Does anybody here have both? It would be interesting to see which leaves the safe most
    I don't have both but having had a CZ and now a 10/22 the pure pleasure of not having to cycle the bolt is heaven the photo below is a 10 group at 50 yards with my out if the box 10/22 Target model all 10 under a 5 cent coin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

OK here comes my 10cents worth.
    I've had the CZ 452 silhouette nickel plate model. Very accurate and great little rifle. I then traded it for the varmint model. Just as much fun and just as accurate. Both would shoot a ragged hole at 50m.
    Then I customised it with a different stock, DipInk picatinny rail, heavy firing pin spring, pillar bedded, muzzle break (just for fun), Timmy trigger (was a YoDave).
    Loved that rifle and shot a little better after all the work. One rifle I should never have sold. :mad:

I now have a 10/22 that is completely customised. :D:D And used for comp. shooting.
    I paid £500 came with Rimfire Magic 14" barrel, Kidd 2 stage trigger, Boyd stock. Now has a Kidd barrel, Kidd single stage trigger, Kidd bolt and charging handle, buffer, Delask receiver with integral 30moa rail. It will shoot 1/3" at 50m.

IMO you should get the CZ 452/453 for hunting and target. It's just better for the longer ranges. And with a nice scope you'll be happy with it.
    The 10/22 is great for the fun value and a quick follow up shot. Out of the box the Target/Tactical model would IMO be the best to get.

CZ varmint
    CZvarmint1.jpg

10/22
    FullycustomisedKidd10-2201_zps96b050db.jpg

Advertisement