Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I think the pool idea makes sense.
    But Cockhill and Galway are also in our group. Could we not have played one of those each.
    I`m speaking from a rovers point of view but I know this is a league wide issue of too many games against the same teams in a short time frame
    So give all the premier teams ties v first division/non league teams? That will solve the repetition problem! /sarcasm
    There is only 7 teams in the west/north region... By chance on the second draw u got a team u were playing in the league the week after, you had a 1/3 chance of drawing a premier team at the start of the cup and a 1 in 11 chance of having them in the league...

There is problems in the league... This aint one! I think cabinteely have shorter odds for the first division than that double!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think my point has been missed completely.
    I`m not looking for an easy draw, the point im making is surely there is a better way to conduct a draw then playing the same team at home 2 weeks in a row.
    I know the GAA separate teams that have played each other in the provincial draw when it comes to the qualifiers.
    I`d like to see something similar in this draw.
    As I said its not just a rovers issue its a league wide thing of clubs playing the same club in a short space of time.
    When it gets to the latter stages of competitions I understand it cant be avoided but we are only in game week 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

and you missed my last line... you had a 1 in 33 chance of this happening even with the regionalised draw. increase that further to get the odds of being home both games. Cabinteelys odds to win the first division are 35/1 with Paddy Power if you want to put your chances into perspective.

The first 2 rounds of the EA cup the only provincial draw in the entire LOI... it could possibly be avoided by basically ensuring all the close distance fixtures are in the second half of the season... but for the odds of it happening... im sure teams would rather swap close/long distance

Sligo are playing Derry in the Showgrounds twice in the space of two weeks
    I`m sure there are also other clashes in the other pools
    Surely there's a way to minimize such clashes this early in the season.
    Thank you for the betting odds. I`ll be sure to place a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Hardly the first time teams have met in a cup and league a few weeks apart. Doesn't make sense to change the draw to suit every scenario so teams don't meet. Non issue.

Definitely doesn't make sense to go changing draws too much. Teams are going to meet multiple times.
    But surely looking at a draw and saying right they are playing each other 2 weeks before this game.
    If its possible we`ll try to avoid that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Definitely doesn't make sense to go changing draws too much. Teams are going to meet multiple times.
    But surely looking at a draw and saying right they are playing each other 2 weeks before this game.
    If its possible we`ll try to avoid that.

No. I'm sorry, but you're seriously looking far too much into this. There is no issue here.

Sure, the same thing happens in England as well. It happens. Live with it.

Sorry for sounding so blunt and/or hostile, but it really isn't a big issue. In fact, it isn't even a medium sized issue.

There are far more pressing matters concerning the league at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It's luck of the draw. Rigging things to keep teams apart just because they happen to be playing in the league around the same time would make a joke of the competition. As Overshoot said, the odds of those two teams drawing each other were extremely low. Where do you draw the line? What if two teams in the cup semi-final are due to play each other in the league the weekend before or after - do you keep them apart in the cup to avoid repetition?

Last season, Atletico Madrid played Barcalona six times. A few years ago, Real played Barca on a Saturday...and again the following Wednesday...and again the Wednesday after that...and yet again the Tuesday after that. Four times in the space of 17 days. Mad cup draws can happen. It's little to be worried about and certainly not something we should be legislating for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Same for Bohs last year. Had UCD in the Leinster Senior Cup on a Monday, had them again in the League opener on the Friday and then the following Tuesday in the League Cup. They were sick of the sight of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

anncoates wrote: »
    What's was his beef with Bucko, dreamers? Being played out of position?
    Few more quotes on ET: http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/13816/fahey-happy-to-have-moved-on-from-time-pats/

Basically Buckley's system was very rigid and he was playing too deep and he didn't enjoy it.
    Sligo are playing Derry in the Showgrounds twice in the space of two weeks
    I`m sure there are also other clashes in the other pools
    Surely there's a way to minimize such clashes this early in the season.
    Thank you for the betting odds. I`ll be sure to place a bet.
    We've a league of 20 teams and we have two cups as well as clubs playing each other 3/4 times in the league. You're going to get teams meeting a lot of times, and often in close proximity, whatever way you organise it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is there any viable alternatives for Shels? This move definitely suits us a lot better than it does you guys.

Not at this precise moment in time, but it's not like Dalymount's some sort of done deal with just i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed.

There's no massive rush for Shels to vacate Tolka so it's not like the club has to jump on the first crap offer that comes along. There's also a ballot being taken amongst supporters with regard to preference of future home ground (as well as club ownership) and result of it should be out early next month I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Whats the story with Limerick banning 30 of their fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

deisedude wrote: »

That the club is a joke...some of the banmed lads were going to limerick games up in pike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

deisedude wrote: »

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/03/19/limerick-fc-ban-30-strong-supporters-group/?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Basically Buckley's system was very rigid and he was playing too deep and he didn't enjoy it.

He sort of demanded that position, which in fairness is his position sitting in front of back four. But it doesnt work for us, we need a someone to get the ball there and give it to the other players.

Is he front of the back for Rovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

dreamers75 wrote: »
    He sort of demanded that position, which in fairness is his position sitting in front of back four. But it doesnt work for us, we need a someone to get the ball there and give it to the other players.

Is he front of the back for Rovers?
    I doubt he demanded it, that's never been his position, even in Birmingham when he was moved deeper.

In the two games so far he's been the freer player between an anchor (McPhail against Longford, Cregg tonight) and McCabe who is the CAM. The expectation is that once the team settles and everyone is fit, he'll move into the CAM position with Cregg and McPhail/R Brennan behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...I know this is a league wide issue of too many games against the same teams in a short time frame
    It's not like this is something that is unique to Ireland. Look at Scotland - Celtic's last four fixtures, in three different competitions, have been against Dundee Utd.

Complete non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's not like this is something that is unique to Ireland. Look at Scotland - Celtic's last four fixtures, in three different competitions, have been against Dundee Utd.

Complete non-issue.

I remember Bohs met Sligo 7 times one year under Fenlon. 4 times in the league, in both cups and one of them went to a replay. Think we met Dundalk 6 times the year after. But then again it's not a problem exclusively to Ireland. West Brom and Villa played a few times there recently. As you said it's similar in the SPL too with Celtic. The problem might be worse in the LOI because we simply have fewer teams but it's a problem that's certainly not exclusive to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United finally confirm the signing of American defender/midfielder Kevin Garcia. He last played in the Swedish third tier. He's been training with us since before the season started, but we were waiting until now for his work permit to get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

He was also drafted by an MLS team from college. Hard to know what he'll be like until he actually plays, but I'd say he'll do well.

Irish Times Video
    @irishtimesvideo
    ► VIDEO: What a goal! Greg Bolger scores from 40-yards for @stpatsfc in the Airtricity League. http://iti.ms/1BLWh8u
    St Patrick's Ath ‏@stpatsfc 48m48 minutes ago
    . @irishtimesvideo why have you taken our video and uploaded it with your titles at the front of it without permission?
    Deco Cunningham ‏@decokh 35m35 minutes ago
    @stpatsfc @irishtimesvideo #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Ah here, we can't have the media promoting our league. God knows who might turn up to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ah here, we can't have the media promoting our league. God knows who might turn up to games.

Cant have them stealing our videos either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The public that's who, can't be having that!

Youtube has this little known feature called embedding.

It's only used by 99% of online media though, so the Indo can't be blamed for always robbing videos, degrading the quality and putting their own watermarks on it and monetising them with ads.

The Guardian had Enda Curran's goal in their goals of the week article. They tagged the club on social media and embedded the video from the official gufc youtube channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Youtube has this little known feature called embedding.

It's only used by 99% of online media though, so the Indo can't be blamed for always robbing videos, degrading the quality and putting their own watermarks on it and monetising them with ads.

Wasnt the Indo for once, it was the Irish Times this time.

The post i quoted is stupid.

So why not share the video and embed it like.....every other media website would do(and did). Why re upload it as your own? For the revenue from Google Adsense of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Pats are 100% correct to challenge use of their intellectual property without credit and misleadingly claiming the property as that of the newspaper. The EPL, the La Liga, the Bundesliga and plenty of other leagues would have sent a solicitor's letter within the hour demanding a public apology and correction. I don't see why LoI clubs should be expected to roll over just because it's the media "promoting our league".

If a club wrote an interesting article in the programme or on the website and a newspaper copied it, gave no credit to the source and said "by the Irish Newspaper" under the title, should we be expected to just say "ah sure, they're promoting the league, it's fine that they're breaching our copyrights".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

If a club wrote an interesting article in the programme or on the website and a newspaper copied it, gave no credit to the source and said "by the Irish Newspaper" under the title, should we be expected to just say "ah sure, they're promoting the league, it's fine that they're breaching our copyrights".

Yeah, this is something that bothers me. More than just once or twice, I've seen things that myself or my father have written, copied into other club's programs or on other websites with absolutely no attribution or credit. Would really like to see that cleaned up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Harps getting good coverage out of this tweet: https://twitter.com/FinnHarpsFC/status/580788316338929665

Have seen it featured on balls.ie, joe.ie, the42.ie, goal.com and also breakingnews.ie/examiner.ie. Hopefully Finn Park is not besieged by angered 1D fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The replies are fantastic!!
    It's a great image too. Fair play to Harps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Next weeks headline in the Democrat: "One Defection" star in Finn Park.

Cabinteely win this round Harps :D
    Cabinteely F.C. ‏@Cabinteely_FC 3h3 hours ago
    Zayn is busy this Friday @FinnHarpsFC , we will bring him up in July tho for some soup! #AlwaysInOurHeartsZaynMalik
    CBCnUjkWQAAibBV.jpg:large

But neither get a point due to lack of #greatestleagueintheworld

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Pats are 100% correct to challenge use of their intellectual property without credit and misleadingly claiming the property as that of the newspaper. The EPL, the La Liga, the Bundesliga and plenty of other leagues would have sent a solicitor's letter within the hour demanding a public apology and correction.
    But clubs from the EPL, La Liga and the Bundesliga don't post content on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But clubs from the EPL, La Liga and the Bundesliga don't post content on YouTube.

Is it acceptable to take even random videos from YouTube, put your own logo on them and claim them as your own? I wouldn't have thought so.

No hassle with the embedding and sharing of videos of course, that is completely different. Somewhere along the line that still links back to the original source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

are Setanta sports going to show any games live?

Almost all above clubs have official youtube channels which post videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

wadacrack wrote: »
    are Setanta sports going to show any games live?

Normally don't show any until RTE get bored with the league after about 2 months

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

uch wrote: »
    Normally don't show any until RTE get bored with the league after about 2 months

There's a game on RTE tonight?

There's a game on RTE tonight?

Dundalk v Sligo. 7.45 kickoff. 14 minutes of ads will start at 7.30.

Weird that they're not showing the derby, even with Dundalk being as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Kick off 7.35, hope there isn't 14 mins of ads.:mad:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Almost all above clubs have official youtube channels which post videos.
    Well I was talking about match footage really. If something's on YouTube, it's open to all.

Anyway, I'm sure the club are secretly glad the IT are generating publicity for them.

• Advertisement

Well I was talking about match footage really. If something's on YouTube, it's open to all.

To look at, not claim as your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Massive Garda presence in Tallaght tonight. Can people not just go to a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

howiya wrote: »
    Massive Garda presence in Tallaght tonight. Can people not just go to a match?

They can but can the garda just not abuse overtime? :-)

They can but can the garda just not abuse overtime? :-)

I`d say the clubs contribute to that too though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sligo people, is it ok to get tickets for the away section on matchday at the gate? Heading up for the game next Friday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement