Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Scotland wont do it because there is no benefit bringing in more Motherwells, Hamilton and Patrick Thistle type teams, all it does is drain resources from the Premier.

Even the Swiss league which has enjoyed great European success with Young Boys and Basel still only has 10 teams in the league.
    To be fair, Scotland and Switzerland have far more pro/semi-pro teams than Ireland has, so they’re not really comparable. And personally, I really don’t agree with the current formula for Scottish football, which is largely born out of politics rather than logic – what’s the point in having four small divisions like that?

With regard to Ireland though, as said several times before, the current model in Northern Ireland is the way to go. Have one small top division, with a proper pyramid structure below. So, technically, the league will consist of a single division, with an intermediate first division, linking to the junior leagues. It won’t happen any time soon, but I think it’s the only rational way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bray has to be everyone's favourite draw in the FAI Cup draw today...even moreso than Cabinteely on that pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

dfx- wrote: »
    Bray has to be everyone's favourite draw in the FAI Cup draw today...even moreso than Cabinteely on that pitch

wouldnt say no to shels @ home myself... or for personal reasons St Mochtas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'd love to see how Dundalk would handle that pitch, not a bleedin chance of playing their free flowing football on it. :P

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I want Drogs or Sligo away, last two grounds I need to visit.

uch wrote: »
    I'd love to see how Dundalk would handle that pitch, not a bleedin chance of playing their free flowing football on it. :P

but a more predictable bounce:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

FAI Cup Round 2 Draw
    Tolka Rovers v Waterford United
    Dundalk v Shelbourne
    Athlone Town v Liffey Wanderers
    Cobh Wanderers v Avondale United
    Edenderry Town v Derry City
    Longford Town v Finn Harps
    Cockhill Celtic v St Mochtas
    Wexford Youths v Cork City
    Galway United v North End United
    Killester United v Cobh Ramblers
    UCD v Sheriff
    St Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers
    Bohemians v Firhouse Clover
    Sligo Rovers v Crumlin United
    Bray Wanderers v Limerick
    Drogheda United v Cabinteely
    Decent chance for us to reach the third round against Sheriff. Though I've honestly no idea what they're like.
    At least two non leaguers in the third round with Cockhill Celtic v St. Mochtas and Cobh Wanderers v Avondale.

Time for annual reunion with Cork. Wish it was away though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Nice first match as defending cup champions after so long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

kksaints wrote: »
    Nice first match as defending cup champions after so long.

It'll be nice for the rest of us to see one of ye gone after this round though!

Wilberto wrote: »
    It'll be nice for the rest of us to see one of ye gone after this round though!

Cold dead hands..................

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cold dead hands..................

...with pleasure! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fairly delighted I won't be making our match up in Dundalk (unless they play it Saturday).

Croly to Bray tomorrow it seems.

LOI fans we must do our bit and ensure we all vote for the same team!!!

http://extratime.ie/promotion/fifa15-pitch-invasion/
    To celebrate the return of the 2015 SSE Airtricity League of Ireland season Extratime.ie, in association with FIFA 15, is launching the #FIFA15PitchInvasion giving Irish football fans the chance to win a pitch redevelopment for their club!
    Dundalk FC
    @DundalkFC
    Vote here: http://bit.ly/1zFNN8O to help win €5,000 pitch/stadium funding for Oriel Park #FIFA15PitchInvasion #DFC

Vote Dundalk!!!!!

/league started 2 months ago yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

What a weird competition. 5 grand would do feck all for most grounds.

What a weird competition. 5 grand would do feck all for most grounds.

How much did Bray claim to spend on their dugouts again? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

How much did Bray claim to spend on their dugouts again? :pac:

5 million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It has been confirmed that the league is getting an extra EL spot for fair play. UCD will be in the EL next season :)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2244170.html?rss=2244170+Netherlands,+England,+Ireland+get+Fair+Play+bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

UCD will be playing in the Europa League qualifiers. The Ultra's are buzzing in Belfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

wadacrack wrote: »
    UCD will be playing in the Europa League qualifiers. The Ultra's are buzzing in Belfield.

I'd imagine a lot of loi supporters from other clubs will go to the ucd game, which will be played in tallaght I'd imagine as bellfield won't be allowed hold European games

I'd imagine a lot of loi supporters from other clubs will go to the ucd game, which will be played in tallaght I'd imagine as bellfield won't be allowed hold European games
    I think Derry City should play in the EL instead of UCD, no point in sending a 1st division side to Europe.

I think Derry City should play in the EL instead of UCD, no point in sending a 1st division side to Europe.

No way. The league was rewarded the place because of fair play, it should go to the team who topped our fair play league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

They are there based on their fair play, and every team at the start of the year knows thats what could happen...so ucd will probably get hockied but they are there because they are the least dirty/scummy team in the league structure...both on the field and off as they are both scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Oat23 wrote: »
    No way. The league was rewarded the place because of fair play, it should go to the team who topped our fair play league.

It should go to the team that topped the fair play league that is still in the highest division. Sending UCD to play in Europe will put a dent in the coefficient which could affect other teams chances of being seeded.

UCD finished third in fair play league after Dundalk and Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Get out of it, UCD earned the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

UCD will be playing in the Europa League qualifiers. The Ultra's are Ultra is buzzing in Belfield.

That's more like it.

Get out of it, UCD earned the place
    They arent upto to it. It wont look good for Irish football. A team getting hammered. Derry City could progress and hep our co-efficient

They arent upto to it. It wont look good for Irish football. A team getting hammered. Derry City could progress and hep our co-efficient

Or maybe the 120k they will get now for participating will help them be more competitive going forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

National co-efficients aren't hugely important for club seedings as they used to be. With the system since 2009 of club co-efficients for each qualifer, the individual performances of the clubs have a much bigger bearing. In the last five years, 0.4 is the most that the national co-efficients count towards the club rankings. If Dundalk get knocked out in their opening tie, they get 1 point. Europa League clubs who get knocked out in the opening round get 0.25. The national rankings only really matter for what round the teams start in. With UEFA's continued preference to have the bigger teams going straight into the groups and push smaller teams back, we don't have much of a chance of ever having a team starting in the 2nd round. Before they closed off so many places, we had teams starting in the 2nd and the 3rd round.

The Fair Play system is changing from next year onwards, anyway. Instead of an extra Europa League spot, the national association will be given prize money to put behind the bar at an away international donate to an amateur or professional club of their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

UCD are there on merit, telling them they can't play in Europe would be some shifting of the goalposts.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Derry are very poor this season too...so are Sligo...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Derry are very poor this season too...so are Sligo...

Bohs are doing well ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It's completely and utterly ridiculous, but them's the rules. I'd hope a decent crowd would turn out to Belfield to support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It's completely and utterly ridiculous, but them's the rules. I'd hope a decent crowd would turn out to Belfield to support them.

There isn't a hope of the game being played in Belfield.

There isn't a hope of the game being played in Belfield.

UEFA kinda make up their own rules about stadiums.

Pats not allowed 3rd rounds games but this place is fine.

109195_ori_hasteinsvollur.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

UCD still have to meet the necessary licensing requirements in order to compete in the EL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

At least Belfield has a bit of a roof or is that cliff face over the stand on the right what counts as covered seating these days.

doncarlos wrote: »
    It should go to the team that topped the fair play league that is still in the highest division. Sending UCD to play in Europe will put a dent in the coefficient which could affect other teams chances of being seeded.

UCD finished third in fair play league after Dundalk and Cork.

And if Dundalk or Cork had not already qualified, then they would deserve the place. But since they are already qualified for Europe, UCD are the next team to make the biggest contribution to Ireland finishing 3rd in the fair play rankings and are deserving of the Euro spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't think UCD are deserving. They only get 150 to there games.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't think UCD are deserving. They only get 150 to there games.

It's not based on attendance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It's not based on attendance?
    I know that but there crowds are a disgrace. Not deserving of European football as they are in the 1st division too & finished 3rd in the Fair Play standings.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I know that but there crowds are a disgrace. Not deserving of European football as they are in the 1st division too & finished 3rd in the Fair Play standings.
    Their could be trouble at the bowl on European night, no college during the summer the students could be mad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Their could be trouble at the bowl on European night, no college during the summer the students could be mad

Be grand, they'll still be in it when college starts up again.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yea its completely unfaroe :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Looks a lovely surface in fairness and much larger than Salthill Devon's pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Oat23 wrote: »
    And if Dundalk or Cork had not already qualified, then they would deserve the place. But since they are already qualified for Europe, UCD are the next team to make the biggest contribution to Ireland finishing 3rd in the fair play rankings and are deserving of the Euro spot.

UCD didn't make any contribution, domestic matches have no impact.

doncarlos wrote: »
    UCD didn't make any contribution, domestic matches have no impact.

All these years I've thought it was judged on league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So did I actually. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

djpbarry wrote: »
    UCD still have to meet the necessary licensing requirements in order to compete in the EL.

Is this something likely to be an issue? I've no idea what is needed to get said license.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement