Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Third player of the month trophy for Richie.

CE9-7CLWIAAtHR2.jpg

And a few more quid raised for the Farren fund. Shane Grimes and Dane Massey with some laugh out loud moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The funniest part about that video was the fact Dundalk only had 1 ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The funniest part about that video was the fact Dundalk only had 1 ball

Richie must have forgot to bring the other one back from the POTM award photoshoot

I see Danny Kearns has been released by Carlisle. Still only 23 unbelievably. Seems like light years ago he was entertaining the faithful (ie 200 fans) in Oriel Park. Wonder if he'll decide to make the move back home and try and pick up a club over here. Carlisle finished 20th in League Two so if they don't want him you'd imagine it'll be conference clubs from here on in if he stays over there. According to Wikipedia he's only played 30 odd games since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Pighead wrote: »
    I see Danny Kearns has been released by Carlisle. Still only 23 unbelievably. Seems like light years ago he was entertaining the faithful (ie 200 fans) in Oriel Park. Wonder if he'll decide to make the move back home and try and pick up a club over here. Carlisle finished 20th in League Two so if they don't want him you'd imagine it'll be conference clubs from here on in if he stays over there. According to Wikipedia he's only played 30 odd games since 2012.
    He hasn't been released as far as I know. He has a contract for another year but has been told he can leave. Same with ex-UCD Gary Dicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

nglish Premier League

Ian Harte (Bournemouth)

English Championship

Keith Andrews (Bolton Wanderers) – retired
    Jake Carroll (Huddersfield Town)
    Paul Corry (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Colin Doyle (Birmingham City)
    Anthony Gerrard (Huddersfield Town)
    Gavin Gunning (Birmingham City)
    Ian Molloy (Leeds United)
    Mark O’Brien (Derby County)
    Callum Reilly (Birmingham City)
    Aidan White (Leeds United)

English League One

Michael Doyle (Sheffield United)
    Alan Dunne (Millwall)
    Eddie Nolan (Scunthorpe United)
    David Norris (Peterborough United)

English League Two

Padraig Amond (Morecambe)
    Stephen Elliott (Carlisle United)
    Graham Cummins (Exeter City)
    Clinton Morrison (Exeter City)

Scottish Premiership

Joe Shaughnessy (Aberdeen)

Released as of 15/5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Graham Cummins has been released? I wonder will he feel like throwing on the green jersey again (;))?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The league is in a much stronger state now than it was when many of those left. I wonder will a few of them come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

BOHtox wrote: »
    The league is in a much stronger state now than it was when many of those left. I wonder will a few of them come back.

I don't know about that. There's a big gap between the top five and the rest and on the pitch, the league is largely defined by the clean-up 'defensive' midfielders...such as Cregg, Shields, Healy, Rice, Bolger etc. Most sides are suited to 4-5-1 and playing away from home. Strikers are at a premium.

Off the pitch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Released as of 15/5

Corry be a good signing for somebody if he fancied coming back although the top 4 squads probably all a bit midfield-heavy.

Wonder would somebody go for Podge Amond? Decent player but never really the most prolific scorer. Might have something more now though after playing away for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think the League Cup should be abolished. Honestly think it is a complete waste of time unless you win it in a home final.

And I think the FAI Cup should be made a midweek competition until the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

gimmick wrote: »
    I think the League Cup should be abolished. Honestly think it is a complete waste of time unless you win it in a home final.

I disagree. With no reserve football it's a good way to give youngsters and fringe players some competitive football. 8 of our U19s team were involved in the game against UCC. Having the games regionalised up to the quarter final stage is a good idea.
    It also gives some of the mid-table teams a serious chance of a trophy as the big teams will rest their star players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

doncarlos wrote: »
    I disagree. With no reserve football it's a good way to give youngsters and fringe players some competitive football. 8 of our U19s team were involved in the game against UCC. Having the games regionalised up to the quarter final stage is a good idea.
    It also gives some of the mid-table teams a serious chance of a trophy as the big teams will rest their star players.

Pats, Dundalk and Rovers are all in the semi finals!

Ah no I agree, it's a good second tier chance for clubs to win silverware. The added bonus of potentially having a cup final in your home ground is cool too. Has the League Cup ever given a pathway into Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Omackeral wrote: »
    Pats, Dundalk and Rovers are all in the semi finals!

Ah no I agree, it's a good second tier chance for clubs to win silverware. The added bonus of potentially having a cup final in your home ground is cool too. Has the League Cup ever given a pathway into Europe?

It's been great crack for the Youths in the last few years. Not sure it really did any long-term good, but it was fun to have the final at our place.

• Advertisement

Its a stupid cup but handy for bringing the 19s into the 1st team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I remember when you used to think the other cup was stupid :p

Tell that to Tommy Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Tell that to Tommy Dunne.

We shouldnt play our seniors but theres a reluctance to take any youths just to make up numbers for this. Thats his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

We shouldnt play our seniors but theres a reluctance to take any youths just to make up numbers for this. Thats his fault.
    There's the small matter of being manager of the only team in the league who aren't allowed have an U19 team. You can't call up youths when you don't have any.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you're on about. Galway United has no u19 team from which to bring in players. Galway have a young squad, but only 2 of them would have been eligible for u19s this season past. Any young lad that comes in to fill out the squad is nearly guaranteed a season of no football, because is no way for them to keep match fit. Maybe I missed the point of what you were saying, I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And I think the FAI Cup should be made a midweek competition until the final.

The FAI Cup has struggled badly since the switch of seasons.

I don't think that is the answer and in fact would cause further problems with away crowds decreasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Putting the FAI Cup matches on midweek would just turn it into the League Cup. It'd have lower crowds and teams would play weaker teams for matches sandwiched between two league games, so that'd affect the crowds even further.

The League Cup is still a decent competition. As mentioned by others, it gives teams a chance to give their younger & squad players a run out (when else would keepers like Alan Smith get a game?). Probably a bit more needs to be done to get bigger crowds, though. Teams should perhaps be charging €5-€10 and there needs to be more advertising done. Though, there might be rules around admission prices (there used to be a rule where cup matches couldn't be priced lower than the club's league games, because it'd "devalue" the competition, not sure if it's still there).

The final in particular needs to be built up more. Given they're played in the home grounds of one of the teams, there's no reason at all that they shouldn't be sold out. Yet, when was the last full house for a LC Final? 2008 in Ferrycarrig Parl? The FAI should do billboards in the hometowns of both finalists at the very least. Giving the match info and the TV channel it's on. Cork City have shown what small campaigns like this can do for league matches (nearly 7,000 for an early season game against Dundalk), so they'd do well for finals. You more than make your money back, so the FAI would only be benefitting themselves (they take all the gate for finals) and the two sets of fans would benefit from a bigger crowds and better atmosphere. The FAI did brilliantly with the first FAI Cup Final in the new Lansdowne, it'd be great if they showed the same enthusiasm for the League Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Big difference between FAI and league cups is European places. I don't think switching it to midweek would effect it, although I don't think it needs to be switched either.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Putting the FAI Cup matches on midweek would just turn it into the League Cup. It'd have lower crowds and teams would play weaker teams for matches sandwiched between two league games, so that'd affect the crowds even further.

The League Cup is still a decent competition. As mentioned by others, it gives teams a chance to give their younger & squad players a run out (when else would keepers like Alan Smith get a game?). Probably a bit more needs to be done to get bigger crowds, though. Teams should perhaps be charging €5-€10 and there needs to be more advertising done. Though, there might be rules around admission prices (there used to be a rule where cup matches couldn't be priced lower than the club's league games, because it'd "devalue" the competition, not sure if it's still there).

The final in particular needs to be built up more. Given they're played in the home grounds of one of the teams, there's no reason at all that they shouldn't be sold out. Yet, when was the last full house for a LC Final? 2008 in Ferrycarrig Parl? The FAI should do billboards in the hometowns of both finalists at the very least. Giving the match info and the TV channel it's on. Cork City have shown what small campaigns like this can do for league matches (nearly 7,000 for an early season game against Dundalk), so they'd do well for finals. You more than make your money back, so the FAI would only be benefitting themselves (they take all the gate for finals) and the two sets of fans would benefit from a bigger crowds and better atmosphere. The FAI did brilliantly with the first FAI Cup Final in the new Lansdowne, it'd be great if they showed the same enthusiasm for the League Cup.

The FAI should really look at the way Cork do their marketing...They seem to have the most active marketing campaign in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The FAI should really look at the way Cork do their marketing...They seem to have the most active marketing campaign in the league

You can do all the marketing you want but it won't work in the long term, Irish football fans prefer glory, hype and bandwagons.

I'm not being a cnut here (and fair play to Cork and any club that does good marketing) but if the marketing is still actively bumping up the attendances if Cork are mid table at the end of the summer, then that will be an achievement.

Don't think it should necessarily go, but having to play up in Derry on a Tuesday night and then a vital league game in Cork on the Friday is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

You can do all the marketing you want but it won't work in the long term, Irish football fans prefer glory, hype and bandwagons.

We're talking about cup finals, not really long term, regular marketing. They're only two a season and they have plenty of hype and chance to start a bandwagon.
    anncoates wrote: »
    I'm not being a cnut here (and fair play to Cork and any club that does good marketing) but if the marketing is still actively bumping up the attendances if Cork are mid table at the end of the summer, then that will be an achievement.

It would probably bump attendances at a much lower rate. But I wasn't talking about the FAI marketing midtable matches. I was talking about a cup final. The kind of potential hype there would at least be on par with a league opener or an early top of the season clash, which City have been getting 5,000-6,000 for. There was a League Cup Final in Turners Cross in 2011 - 4,100 showed up for it (we'll just look at this one as a fair comparison re stadium - it was one of the highest attended in recent years). We've had nine crowds for league matches higher than that in the last season and a half. Cup finals shouldn't really be dwarfed by that many/those kind of league matches.
    anncoates wrote: »
    Don't think it should necessarily go, but having to play up in Derry on a Tuesday night and then a vital league game in Cork on the Friday is ridiculous.

Luck of the draw when they have it, in fairness. Would've probably suited us better to have it next Monday instead of a Saturday-Tuesday-Friday series of matches, but that's the way it goes. 9/10 the fixtures wouldn't happen to coincide with two medium-length trips on the bounce for Rovers, it's more likely that ye'd have either a home match or a short away trip there by pure odds.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The FAI Cup has struggled badly since the switch of seasons.
    Has it?
    Last Five attendances- 17,000, 17,500, 16000, 21,500, 36,000
    Last Five before switch to summer soccer: 10,000, 10,000, 10,000, 9,000, 8,000

Also pre summer soccer the final was generally played in Tolka or Dalymount which while probably better atmosphere wise, I'm guessing for the players it's a bit more exciting dreaming about a cup final in the Aviva. Think the FAI Cup still has a lot to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pighead wrote: »
    Has it?
    Last Five attendances- 17,000, 17,500, 16000, 21,500, 36,000
    Last Five before switch to summer soccer: 10,000, 10,000, 10,000, 9,000, 8,000

Also pre summer soccer the final was generally played in Tolka or Dalymount which while probably better atmosphere wise, I'm guessing for the players it's a bit more exciting dreaming about a cup final in the Aviva. Think the FAI Cup still has a lot to offer.

The attendances for the final have gone up because it is now played at a rather fine facility.

But the early rounds of the cup struggle for attention. Before the switch, the cup started round the time the FA Cup got to the third round and there was a bit of cup fever in the air. Barstoolers paid more attention to it. Now the start of the cup is lost amongst all the bogball and WC/Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I'll also shadow the comments about the bandwagon. Ya Cork City are doing some serious marketing (billboards up across the city for the Rovers game tomorrow night), but I can guarantee if we were mid table we'd be back to a 2 thousand average. Irish people are event junkies, we got 7000 through the gates for Dundalk a few weeks back, we lost 4000 of that for the next home game, thats incredible but expected in this league. Look at Shamrock Rovers, they reached the Europa League group stages and there was talk of them dominating Irish football for decades to come, however only three years later they averaged just 2500 and never really pushed on from that success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet but Wexford Youths v Athlone Town was abandoned at half time on Friday.

There was a fire in the generator for the floodlights so they couldn't go on, so the ref called the game off before starting the 2nd half.

Wexford were 2-0 up at the time but the game will have to be replayed from the start at 0-0.

The game was Alan Mathews first match in charge of Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Haven't seen it mentioned here yet but Wexford Youths v Athlone Town was abandoned at half time on Friday.

There was a fire in the generator for the floodlights so they couldn't go on, so the ref called the game off before starting the 2nd half.

Wexford were 2-0 up at the time but the game will have to be replayed from the start at 0-0.

The game was Alan Mathews first match in charge of Athlone

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

CHealy wrote: »

Thats good news but this national under 17 league is bad news for clubs all over the country, it's going too make holding onto the players near on I'm possible after under 16s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I'll also shadow the comments about the bandwagon. Ya Cork City are doing some serious marketing (billboards up across the city for the Rovers game tomorrow night), but I can guarantee if we were mid table we'd be back to a 2 thousand average. Irish people are event junkies, we got 7000 through the gates for Dundalk a few weeks back, we lost 4000 of that for the next home game, thats incredible but expected in this league. Look at Shamrock Rovers, they reached the Europa League group stages and there was talk of them dominating Irish football for decades to come, however only three years later they averaged just 2500 and never really pushed on from that success.

Cork are doing a great job marketing their club. The sell-out crowd against Dundalk was a one-off though.

The fact that more recent crowds are significantly less is to be expected.

Cork's marketing activities will yield benefits in the long term. In the short term, they will be distorted by the bandwagon effect that affects all Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Thats good news but this national under 17 league is bad news for clubs all over the country, it's going too make holding onto the players near on I'm possible after under 16s

Yes but in fairness its a small price to pay for hopefully more quality in our national league and better quality of training for our players. It might also keep young lads at home for longer and not see them rotting away in some league two reserve team in England. Won't be as much talent lost to the game here.

It's not without its issues but it's surely a step in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Finn Park 2 is meant to be a north west centre of excellence, I wouldnt hold your breath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

it's going too make holding onto the players near on I'm possible after under 16s

The best young talent will stay in the country instead of being on churned out to the UK clubs. Surely this is a good thing?
    Player development is far more important than working to get your best players moves to the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The best young talent will stay in the country instead of being on churned out to the UK clubs. Surely this is a good thing?
    Player development is far more important than working to get your best players moves to the UK

Yup. This. Who cares whether Kevins miss out on 1 of the 20 players they'll ship through the revolving door each year?

Best young players have left at the age of 12, the ones still here are the promising ones.

National League is a brilliant idea and when it switches to summer to match the LOI it will work out very well.

Best young players have left at the age of 12, the ones still here are the promising ones.

National League is a brilliant idea and when it switches to summer to match the LOI it will work out very well.

So you think 16&17 year olds will love playing soccer in the summer when all their friends are playing all winter?summer football lasts what?5 months? 6tops? Winter football lasts 9-10-11 months, all their friends will be going training every Tuesday and Thursday after school but LOI lads won't be, at that age they want too play soccer 24/7!! What about when mam and dad decide that for the 2 weeks dad has off from work there going too Portugal in the middle of July right in the middle of the season? or the kids are spending the summer in the mobile home by the seaside for 3 months of school holidays that falls June July aug and they can't play or train at those times as dad is in work all day and there's no one too watch them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Summer season hasn't done underage gah ball any harm and thats only a makey upey sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

So you think 16&17 year olds will love playing soccer in the summer when all their friends are playing all winter?summer football lasts what?5 months? 6tops? Winter football lasts 9-10-11 months, all their friends will be going training every Tuesday and Thursday after school but LOI lads won't be, at that age they want too play soccer 24/7!! What about when mam and dad decide that for the 2 weeks dad has off from work there going too Portugal in the middle of July right in the middle of the season? or the kids are spending the summer in the mobile home by the seaside for 3 months of school holidays that falls June July aug and they can't play or train at those times as dad is in work all day and there's no one too watch them?

All football will gradually be moved to summer football.

Recommendation 10 in the FAI PDP.

The Current U19 league goes from September to May. The summer league will probably go from February/March to October/November which will mirror the LOI as it is at the moment.
    If you're gonna go on a rant, do your research.

• Advertisement

summer football lasts what?5 months? 6tops? Winter football lasts 9-10-11 months

You're not talking any sense.

The juvenile soccer season in my area and others that I have decent knowledge of are laughably short.

You're not talking any sense.

The juvenile soccer season in my area and others that I have decent knowledge of are currently laughably short.

Not down here in cork

Also summer football opposite the GAA will be a huge stumbling block!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think you've overthought this one.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Also summer football opposite the GAA will be a huge stumbling block!

Who gives a fcuk about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

anncoates wrote:
    Who gives a fcuk about them?

The young lads playing both sports, obviously

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement