Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

dreamers75 wrote: »
    LOI player tested positive for Coke recently, SUN will name him tomorrow.

So which Pats player hasnt played recently :D
    They won't name him, in Wednesday's paper anyway. Assume it will come out in due curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BOHtox wrote: »
    Barry Ryan still playing? Completely unrelated...

Retired last year. Without naming names, my money is on either Brillo Pad pube-head or that nice young Slim Shady looking man who sparked up after the Louth Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Still think it's such a strange thing for football authorities to care about. This is a drug that causes harm, not enhances performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

CSF wrote: »
    Still think it's such a strange thing for football authorities to care about. This is a drug that causes harm, not enhances performances.

I've been told otherwise by a doctor. It increases awareness and reduces pain, so it can give you an edge.

I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm not the expert.

Edit: doesn't look like the article named anyone, only mentions Ryan and then Shane Grimes in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Someone in UK got away with no ban for mitigating circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Omackeral wrote: »
    Retired last year. Without naming names, my money is on either Brillo Pad pube-head or that nice young Slim Shady looking man who sparked up after the Louth Derby.

It's someone who hasn't made an appearance in the last month seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

I heard it was someone who may or may not have been on a football show on sky one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

From a north dublin div 1 team apparently.

Forgot you were a Shels fan, drugs are kewl and ok.

Im with yah junkie4lyfe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Eh, coke is a very powerful stimulant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    if joeys right, no wonder the defence went in early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was thinking this myself, bit strange that they can get in so much trouble for it when it doesn't benefit their performance. It's not as if he done a few lines of coke before a match and was the best player on the pitch with an unfair advantage over everyone else, he probably done it some weekend when he was out with his mates or whatever. Kind of seems unrelated to playing football, so not sure why the authorities care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Was thinking this myself, bit strange that they can get in so much trouble for it when it doesn't benefit their performance. It's not as if he done a few lines of coke before a match and was the best player on the pitch with an unfair advantage over everyone else, he probably done it some weekend when he was out with his mates or whatever. Kind of seems unrelated to playing football, so not sure why the authorities care.
    Lads, this attitude is ****ing ridiculous.

Playing football on coke is potentially lethal. Coke significantly raises your heart rate and blood pressure. Engaging in high-intensity aerobic exercise when you've got a powerful stimulant like cocaine floating around in your system can very easily result in cardiac arrest.

That's why the authorities care.

Is this based on said player not being around the last few weeks or something more solid? Had wondered where he had disappeared to be fair.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Lads, this attitude is ****ing ridiculous.

Playing football on coke is potentially lethal. Coke significantly raises your heart rate and blood pressure. Engaging in high-intensity aerobic exercise when you've got a powerful stimulant like cocaine floating around in your system can very easily result in cardiac arrest.

That's why the authorities care.

Ok fair enough, I'm not a doctor so I'm speaking in very general terms, if there is a legitimate reason, fine. But wouldn't the same ban apply to someone smoking a bit of weed if caught? Which is ridiculous.

I don't think recreational drugs should have a place in sports legislation unless there is a clear medical case for it like the one quoted above.

The fact that it's illegal alone doesn't justify these things for me, I mean you wouldn't see a player getting a ban for something equally minor like illegally downloading music or even something more serious like assault.

• Advertisement

Oh was I commenting on the drug issue :)

From a mate, thought it was common knowledge, I wasn't sure who the player was, maybe disregard as I didn't question the reliability of the information.

Check out the story about Nick Diaz ban from Nevada re cannabis use

Oh was I commenting on the drug issue :)

From a mate, thought it was common knowledge, I wasn't sure who the player was, maybe disregard as I didn't question the reliability of the information.

Hadn't heard a word. Did disappear out of nowhere when he would have been a starter so that is strange. Hope it's not true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

But wouldn't the same ban apply to someone smoking a bit of weed if caught? Which is ridiculous.

I don't think recreational drugs should have a place in sports legislation unless there is a clear medical case for it like the one quoted above.

Well if a player's reaction is slower because he's had a bit of weed, that would have to the potential to result in a leg breaking tackle.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Well if a player's reaction is slower because he's had a bit of weed, that would have to the potential to result in a leg breaking tackle.

In theory yes. The same could be said because a player didn't get the proper amount of sleep the night before.

• Advertisement

And alcohol too. We don't hand out bans for having alcohol in your system. Nor should we. We shouldn't be handing out sporting bans for things that don't affect sport IMO. In cases like the above where a clear health risk has been demonstrated, fair enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think bans should be handed out if a player tests positive for alcohol in competition.

I think bans should be handed out if a player tests positive for alcohol in competition.

Hold on, are we talking about a player going onto a pitch drunk or high here? Or having consumed the day previous? Obviously there is a huge difference here.

Hold on, are we talking about a player going onto a pitch drunk or high here? Or having consumed the day previous? Obviously there is a huge difference here.

Yeah, if he went out the night before and still had alcohol in his system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I would agree but say a year (the same sentence as a cannabis positive) is way too steep. Cocaine positive tests makes the league look like **** as well as the reasons given above, so I'm happy with a year or whatever he gets.

If the match started at like 9 am? What?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How much alcohol are we talking? Enough to fail a breathalyser for driving?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

McClean was hardly average in the LOI. Far from it. Clear potential.

The couple of times I saw him play against GUFC, it was terrifying seeing him pick up the ball and run at the defence. Granted, they were some of the worst every Galway teams, but I imagine it was a similar feeling for fans of other clubs.

The couple of times I saw him play against GUFC, it was terrifying seeing him pick up the ball and run at the defence. Granted, they were some of the worst every Galway teams, but I imagine it was a similar feeling for fans of other clubs.

Yeah he was pretty much raw talent who didn't know how to use it. Then he went to England and got the coaching that taught him how to use it. Obviously he is less talented over there relatively speaking but still a more than capable international footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Think I'm going to go to a couple of LOI games next season.

Recognising you have a problem is the first step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

And alcohol too. We don't hand out bans for having alcohol in your system. Nor should we. We shouldn't be handing out sporting bans for things that don't affect sport IMO. In cases like the above where a clear health risk has been demonstrated, fair enough.

Pretty much my view as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah he was pretty much raw talent who didn't know how to use it. Then he went to England and got the coaching that taught him how to use it. Obviously he is less talented over there relatively speaking but still a more than capable international footballer.

As a Derry fan I saw him more than most in the LoI, and he was clearly at a better level than most of the guys who were playing with/against him for a couple of seasons.

Having said that, I don't think he is international standard footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Just came across a Mark Farren update,
    Seems to be making good progress which is great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

McClean was terrifying at times. Pace, strength and a lethal shot off both feet. Physically, he was like a Premier League player even here. It was no surprise when he broke through at Sunderland. One of the most disappointing things about him is that he's no longer trusting his ability to shoot off both feet - probably because at a higher level he's discouraged from doing things that are risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

No I wouldn't agree. Drinking in a close time frame before a game is a personal decision. There's no doubt it will effect a players performance but only negatively. If a club wants to employ a player that does that, that's their call.
    If you want to go down that road the league should start handing out bans for players who don't go to the gym or don't put in enough effort in training.
    There's no doubt alot of players could learn alot from the likes of Richie Towell who looks after himself immaculately. I don't see any reason why even amateur players in the league can't aspire to that level. GAA players can do it so why not players playing in our national league.
    Gym memberships are very reasonable and jogging on a footpath is free. It's an issue of standards and for the most part they are low throughout the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just the seven Dundalk players nominated in the PFAI team of the year. One more than last year.

Team of the year: Schlingerman, Massey, Boyle, Gartland, Gannon, Horgan, Towell, O'Donnell, Chambers, Miele, O'Sullivan

Player of the year nominations: Towell, Horgan, O'Donnell, O'Sullivan
    Young Player of the Year: Gannon, Akinade, Miele.

Towell to win Player of the Year and Akinade for Young Player I reckon.

Suprised Lee Desmond not in YPOTY but cant really argue with any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What's O Sullivan doing there? Eight forwards with more goals than him.

AgileMyth wrote: »

Not all about the amount of goals you score. Some strikers take penalties some don't which will have a big impact on goal scoring as most teams can expect to get at 3 or 4 penalties over a season and there's lots of other factors when it come to picking a forward other than goals scored.
    He's been decent for Cork. Definitely not outstanding but what forward has been? The league has a serious lack of quality forwards. There just isn't a striker capable of scoring 20 plus goals.

• Advertisement

Akinade has barely 20 games, rumour he signed for Rovers a few weeks ago.

Kenna/Madden to us at the moment.

He's the main goal threat in one of the best teams in the league and he's got 8 goals.

Drennan from everything I've heard this year should probably be in there ahead of him, admittedly I've seen very little football.

How did Schlingerman get in goal for team of the year? Drogs have the 3rd most conceded goals in the league. Has he been amazing despite that?

All the keepers are **** so they just pick one at random.

How did Schlingerman get in goal for team of the year? Drogs have the 3rd most conceded goals in the league. Has he been amazing despite that?

In games vs us we should have scored at least 37 goals.

Seriously.

Has been outstanding everytime I seen him, dont think anyone in the top 4 can claim best keeper all of our keepers have made horrendous mistakes.

I've been very impressed with Schlingermann. Anytime I see him playing he keeps drogheda competitive without him they'd be losing most of their games 6or7 nil.
    In his most recent game against pats he pulled off a string of what can only be described as world class saves. They lost 2-1 but had no right to be that close. It's been a similar story all year.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, i haven't seen that much of him, just seemed an odd choice on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Think I'm going to go to a couple of LOI games next season. No where is particularly near to me (North Kilkenny) sadly.

/thinking out loud, sorry.

Pity even Kilkenny City don't have a team any more. Nice little set-up down there I believe at Buckley Park. Kilkenny is a big enough county to support a team in theory too.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Pity even Kilkenny City don't have a team any more. Nice little set-up down there I believe at Buckley Park. Kilkenny is a big enough county to support a team in theory too.

From what I hear if carlow FC join the league it would probably be in partnership with Kilrenny and they'd play their games in buckley Park. Could be a real success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pighead wrote: »
    Young Player of the Year: Gannon, Akinade, Miele.

Disgraceful...
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Suprised Lee Desmond not in YPOTY but cant really argue with any of the others.

Any idea where he's going across the water too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's the main goal threat in one of the best teams in the league and he's got 8 goals.

Drennan from everything I've heard this year should probably be in there ahead of him, admittedly I've seen very little football.

Does way more than that though, has dragged us through quite a few games this season. Now I wouldn't be a huge, huge fan of his but he's been the difference in games that wouldn't have put us 2nd otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement