Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Or you could what I posted and understand it? I can break it down into Corkeenie for you? Maybe throw in a few big letters?

Nah, no need. It's clear as day that you're just bitter about City and Rovers being better teams. Like the way you always go on about us kicking the sh*t out of the opposition and then it turns out that we've a better fair play record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

CHealy wrote: »
    Bohs, Shels, City even the Derry team and Rovers of 10' and 11' would walk away with the league the way it is at the moment. As I said, its a poor league bar Dundalk, who take advantage of how poor the other teams are..
    How on earth would they run away with the league when you have one of the greatest league of Ireland teams of all time playing today? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Bohs, Shels, City even the Derry team and Rovers of 10' and 11' would walk away with the league the way it is at the moment. As I said, its a poor league bar Dundalk, who take advantage of how poor the other teams are.

It is attitudes like this that cast Cork fans in such a poor light.

You just have to look at Dundalk performances against a Champions League team this summer to see that they are a quality side.

The bitterness and jealousy towards Dundalk is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

You just have to look at Dundalk performances against a Champions League team this summer to see that they are a quality side.

I never said anything in bad light towards Dundalk over the last two seasons. They can only beat what is infront of them and they have done that in most convincing fashion this season. I think its pretty embarrassing on your part, and on the part of other Dundalk fans to try and fabricate this rivalry between City and Dundalk. Truth be told I physically cant muster any feeling towards ye, Dundalk is too far away and I just can't care about your fans enough to do so. Sure thing there will be a bit of banter during the week upto the cup final, but if we do lose, it won't hurt as much as if it was Shelbourne or Bohs or Rovers, not for me personally anyway. You have won back to back titles and are in with a great chance of doing the double, enjoy this time instead of trying to create something that is not there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Can I just say that they don't speak for all of us? ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

I never said anything in bad light towards Dundalk over the last two seasons. They can only beat what is infront of them and they have done that in most convincing fashion this season. I think its pretty embarrassing on your part, and on the part of other Dundalk fans to try and fabricate this rivalry between City and Dundalk. Truth be told I physically cant muster any feeling towards ye, Dundalk is too far away and I just can't care about your fans enough to do so. Sure thing there will be a bit of banter during the week upto the cup final, but if we do lose, it won't hurt as much as if it was Shelbourne or Bohs or Rovers, not for me personally anyway. You have won back to back titles and are in with a great chance of doing the double, enjoy this time instead of trying to create something that is not there.

To be fair it must be hard for a new club like city to build up a rivalry with any club, maybe yourselves,Derry and Galway can build up a bit of heat between each other for the position of biggest new club over the next few years, if ye last that long

flas wrote: »
    To be fair it must be hard for a new club like city to build up a rivalry with any club, maybe yourselves,Derry and Galway can build up a bit of heat between each other for the position of biggest new club over the next few years, if ye last that long

I reckon we'll be just fine. 5 years from having 13 youth players in our first game in the 1st Division to where we are now, I wonder where we'll be in the next 5, probably World Cup Champions LOL LOL LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

One Cork fan. Such sweeping statements are a little silly.

Most City fans that I've come across would want City to aspire to push on to that next level of Dundalk's. Whether you want to believe it or not most match going City fans would be quite complimentary towards Dundalk football wise.

As for this 'City don't play football' stuff. I was quite disappointed with how we set up last season and our own fans were quite critical, this season started similar but got better and for most of this season we've played reasonably decent enough stuff and deserved to win games against the likes of Pats etc. It needs to be improved further for next season though and the midfield desperately needs to be improved, the likes of Bolger would certainly do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Go away ya clown, have you just started following LOI since 2013 or have ya been around a bit longer? The league now is no where near what it was in the 2000's. Bohs, Shels, City even the Derry team and Rovers of 10' and 11' would walk away with the league the way it is at the moment. As I said, its a poor league bar Dundalk, who take advantage of how poor the other teams are. Hopefully over the next few seasons we see teams like Sligo, Derry, Bohs join the ranks of City, Rovers, Pats and Dundalk to have a really competitive league.

That is absolute horsehsit, we have fcuking 17 year olds with more technicque than most of the players in those squads.

I think you need to watch more football and to actually judge what makes a footballer decent.

All those teams you mentioned were 442 with wingers(2011 Rovers exception), do you actually think a team playing 442 in any fcuking league with wingers would win a league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

In pure technical terms we have a better average level of player now (a lot of the credit for this has to go to the DDSL and other schoolboy leagues) but we have fewer players who are physically on a par with players in professional leagues and, I think, overall the best players aren't as good as the best players a few years back.

In pure technical terms we have a better average level of player now (a lot of the credit for this has to go to the DDSL and other schoolboy leagues) but we have fewer players who are physically on a par with players in professional leagues and, I think, overall the best players aren't as good as the best players a few years back.

Conditioning is not something we are very good at hence the lack of athletes in the league. The U17/19 could fix that but ultimatly its player choice. But thats an Irish problem from DDSL upwards not just the LOI.

Good example would be Morgan Langley at Pats easily the fittest player in the league after being conditioned on an athlete program since he was 12, not a great footballer but fcuk me the chap is fit and will chase dogs in the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

[quote="dreamers75;97574612" The U17/19 could fix that but ultimatly its player choice. [/quote]

I think this is an important point. We now have good coaches as well as a strength and conditioning coach working with 15 year old and upwards. They are now training right and eating right. Dundalk are already seeing the benefit of this as players breaking through look a lot stronger and bigger than they have in the past.
    Hopefully the national u15 league is launched soon and this improves yet again.

The difference between LOI underage teams and DDSL teams is the LOI trams should be developing players for their senior side rather than get them a move abroad as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

That is absolute horsehsit, we have fcuking 17 year olds with more technicque than most of the players in those squads.

I think you need to watch more football and to actually judge what makes a footballer decent.

All those teams you mentioned were 442 with wingers(2011 Rovers exception), do you actually think a team playing 442 in any fcuking league with wingers would win a league?

I's not just Dundalk, St. Pats in 2013, and Sligo in 2012 were also excellent sides.

I saw a lot of dross in the 2000's. There were a lot of rigid, English style, sides.

How can you compare tactics when the game is currently evolving every other season. 442 was all the rage back then, doesn't mean the teams man for man wouldn't play well in todays fashionable tactics. Technique isn't enough to win leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whether the standard of the league is better is hard to say. But I definitely think it's a better league to watch. Most teams are trying to play better football which can at times result in teams giving away soft goals. But it's much better than playing hoofball. Overall the LOI is now a more entertaining league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

How will Limerick and Finn Harps go, you would imagine Limerick will have too much. Pretty big gap between Premier and 1st division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

we have 5 players doubtful who started on Friday, Boyle's season is definitely over, McHugh highly unlikely too so we will be left with Tagbo & 17year old Banda up top - if we do go 2 up top.
    If we lose all 5 we are in trouble Monday. If they do make it, we lost to Longford on penalties over 2 legs and was unlucky not to get the draw in Galway in the EA cup (although im sure galway has as many reserves out as we did) so could hold our own... although most limerick players would walk into our team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Finn Harps are in the strange position of being up against a team who are just as delighted to have made the relegation playoff final as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Wilberto wrote: »
    Finn Harps are in the strange position of being up against a team who are just as delighted to have made the relegation playoff final as they are.

Well considering after 20 games we were pretty much relegated, before an unreal run of form...just to make the playoff's was an achievement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Can't see past limerick. The reality is they started the season with a youth team and then brought in an almost entirely new team in the summer. Had they had the team they currently have all season then European football could have been realistic.

As far as I'm concerned that's the quality of this limerick side. Kanyuka, Turner, duggan and Hall (bar his howler against Shams) have been among the top performers in the Premier Division over the last 3months.

I think Harps are dogged and defend well, something limerick don't do. But I still think limerick will have too much for them. Think limerick will win it comfortably over 2 legs and are capable of winning both games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Can't see past limerick. The reality is they started the season with a youth team and then brought in an almost entirely new team in the summer. Had they had the team they currently have all season then European football could have been realistic.

As far as I'm concerned that's the quality of this limerick side. Kanyuka, Turner, duggan and Hall (bar his howler against Shams) have been among the top performers in the Premier Division over the last 3months.

I think Harps are dogged and defend well, something limerick don't do. But I still think limerick will have too much for them. Think limerick will win it comfortably over 2 legs and are capable of winning both games.

Kanyuka is actually terrible and a massive weak point

Shaun Kelly and Hall have been great additions at the back, not sure about Kanyuka. In midfield they and upfront they Limerick should be too strong with the likes of Duggan, Turner, O'Conor, Clarke, Lynch, Faherty

Kanyuka is actually terrible and a massive weak point

Not the most mobile of players and a failed English player but he's a solid header of the ball. Limerick don't seem to want to defend it's all you score we score stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

I saw Kanyuka a few times when he came in and he looked a real player. He was dog**** against Sligo though, really poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MD1990 wrote: »
    Whether the standard of the league is better is hard to say. But I definitely think it's a better league to watch. Most teams are trying to play better football which can at times result in teams giving away soft goals. But it's much better than playing hoofball. Overall the LOI is now a more entertaining league.

Sometimes the mid 00s are looked back on fondly by teams who were top then...Shels, Cork, Derry etc

I remember Rovers in 2004/2005 and by any description there was rubbish teams down there such as Longford, Bray, Waterford, Pats, Harps and CHF. I remember Rovers beating Shels with Brian McGovern upfront. The biggest indictment being that Rovers side picked up something like 26 points in two series and would've stayed up without the deduction.

A team that was barely training..

dfx- wrote: »
    Sometimes the mid 00s are looked back on fondly by teams who were top then...Shels, Cork, Derry etc.

I remember Rovers in 2004/2005 and by any description there was rubbish teams down there such as Longford, Bray, Waterford, Pats, Harps and CHF. I remember Rovers beating Shels with Brian McGovern upfront. The biggest indictment being that Rovers side picked up something like 26 points in two series and would've stayed up without the deduction.

A team that was barely training was competitive and didn't finish bottom....
    These are just never ending arguments. From my own point of view the top sides of that time were better that the league over all now. Fair enough as you say there were poor teams but we have plenty of them now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

wadacrack wrote: »
    How will Limerick and Finn Harps go, you would imagine Limerick will have too much. Pretty big gap between Premier and 1st division

I would think Limerick will take advantage of the second life there late season form has given them and stay up. Could be 2 good games with good crowds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Will rte show the playoffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Will rte show the playoffs?

LOL!

The only chance would be Setanta, but don't think they are.

Automatic Suspension in next SSE Airtricity League match

SHANE DINEEN (Waterford United)

STEPHEN DUNNE (Athlone Town)

SEAN THORNTON (Drogheda United)

WILLIE TYRRELL (Wexford Youths)

First team competitive as and from Monday, November 2

KARL BYRNE (Cabinteely) 1 MATCH 5 Yellow Cards

GARETH COUGHLAN (Shelbourne) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

VICTOR EKANEM (Cabinteely) 2 MATCHES 12 Yellow Cards

AARON GREENE (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

MICHAEL McSWEENEY (Cork City)* 1 MATCH 5 Yellow Cards

MORTEN NIELSEN (Sligo Rovers) 1 MATCH 5 Yellow Cards

GARY O’NEILL (UCD) 1 MATCH 8 Yellow Cards

RICHIE TOWELL (Dundalk)* 1 MATCH 5 Yellow Cards

* Suspension does not apply in Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup Final.

effiecient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

The reality is they started the season with a youth team and then brought in an almost entirely new team in the summer. Had they had the team they currently have all season then European football could have been realistic.

That's not the reality really though. They brought in Hall in goal (which made a HUGE difference as Conor O'Donnell was legitimately the worst first choice keeper I've seen in the Premier and probably cost us 5-6 points at least), Shaun Kelly at right full (who was, as always, solid and effective for the most part), Kanyuka (a bastion of mediocrity in all that he does but, I'll agree, an improvement on the inexperience that was there) and Lee Jay Lynch who was pivotal, absolutely pivotal for me in helping to turn the form around. The likes of Guedje came in too but barely featured. It's half a team at best.

I'll be the first to admit that there is the spine of a side there but for me the staggering thing about Limerick this year is that those few players made such a difference. Duggan, Turner, Faherty, Clarke, Williams, Tracy, O'Conor were all there for the whole season. It's misleading to suggest that Limerick started the season with a youth team. They certainly strengthened in the window and it's clearly made all the difference but it is not quite as massive a change in personnel as you suggest. Still a phenomenal turnaround in form though and I would be disappointed if we lost the play-off now (though I don't think it will be a cake walk either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Don't see the point in suspending a player for the first game of next season for an accumulation of yellows. Think there's an amnesty after a certain point in most European leagues.

Think a number of factors lead to Limerick's improvement. Shaun Kelly, Freddie Hall have been big additions in defence.

Kanyuka has added a physical presence and experience. He is not that quick but they are not that many pacey strikers in the league.

Leee J lynch has been a big addition in midfield. A very good Premier level midfielder.

Also moving Dean Clarke to teh left wing and has helped, as he was left isolated earier in the year. He can now provide to support to Vinny Faherty who has found form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Most of the team were still the team that were shocking for a lot of the season. It wasn't anything like a first team, a couple of players who improved the team. Watched a good few games down there this season and Lynch was the big improvement on the team from what I could see, helped improve Duggans game too. Kanyuka is very, very average. He's decent at the things he should be decent at, heading, physical etc but protected by a better midfield in the last few months. Faherty hitting form as well is one of the other main reasons, was putting away chances he was missing or wasn't even getting for the other months of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

effiecient.

It's so ****ing stupid.

5 yellow cards in 33 league games, and you're slapped with a ban for the opening game of the new season. Absolutely insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

CSF wrote: »
    Don't see the point in suspending a player for the first game of next season for an accumulation of yellows. Think there's an amnesty after a certain point in most European leagues.

Totally agree. Think it is just flat out stupid. The season is over everyone should have their yellow cards cleared and start fresh for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mickey Adams won't be staying on as manager at the Showgrounds. He was supposedly in "advanced talks" to take over at the weekend, but now this about turn. Probably saw the budget for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

If anyone sees a bus on the motorway from Galway... We had a blow out...
    Hairy moment!

Mickey Adams won't be staying on as manager at the Showgrounds. He was supposedly in "advanced talks" to take over at the weekend, but now this about turn. Probably saw the budget for next year.

More like who ever was peddling that he was in "advanced talks" were talking through their hole.

• Advertisement

More like who ever was peddling that he was in "advanced talks" were talking through their hole.

His own words when asked if he was staying on. He was in attendance for an U19 game on Saturday. Something happened to upset the apple cart since then. Facebook and twitter are rife with rumours as to what may have caused the change of heart. The official line is "family reasons".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

He said it!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

prodsc wrote: »
    He said it!:rolleyes:

Live on RTE2 apparently.

Bit disappointed to lose him, but lets see who comes in. Hopefully we look outside the league again. That is where we have success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Oat23 wrote: »
    Live on RTE2 apparently.

Bit disappointed to lose him, but lets see who comes in. Hopefully we look outside the league again. That is where we have success.

Ya!

Oat23 wrote: »
    Live on RTE2 apparently.

I was at the game so I didn't hear it.
    Ya I think we should stay away from the league merry go round.
    British are always a lottery though you can come up with a gem like Cook or a tulip like Coleman!

a tulip like Coleman!

Yeah, I bet that's exactly what your were thinking of him when the final whistle went in the away leg vs Rosenborg. Talking through their holes indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

His own words when asked if he was staying on. He was in attendance for an U19 game on Saturday. Something happened to upset the apple cart since then. Facebook and twitter are rife with rumours as to what may have caused the change of heart. The official line is "family reasons".

Too many personalities at the club that need to b f*cked out. Everyone thinks some of these lads are saviors and doing a thankless job to keep the club going, but behind closed doors they are slowly killing the club.

So unprofessional.

Yeah, I bet that's exactly what your were thinking of him when the final whistle went in the away leg vs Rosenborg. Talking through their holes indeed.

One result was enough for you? Well done, you sir are a footballing scholar.

One result was enough for you? Well done, you sir are a footballing scholar.

Won more than he lost with a side that was already in serious decline. And anyways, results had nothing to do with the ire directed at him from certain quarters. More to do with an offhand, and utterly innocuous remark made when questioned about the departure of one particular player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Won more than he lost with a side that was already in serious decline. And anyways, results had nothing to do with the ire directed at him from certain quarters. More to do with an offhand, and utterly innocuous remark made when questioned about the departure of one particular player.
    He was appointed purely because he was Paul Cooks friend, did an OK job and then ****ed off at the first available opportunity. However I'd not use that as a reason not to shop abroad when looking at managers. We've always done much better picking young ambitious managers up from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's so ****ing stupid.

5 yellow cards in 33 league games, and you're slapped with a ban for the opening game of the new season. Absolutely insane.

Especially as it could punish a completely different club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement