Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

id agree with the english route for a manager,
    id also agree that we need to look at the individuals running of the club

to say last year was a mess is an understatement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

It seems both Dundalk and Cork are eyeing Sander Puri. Hardly a suprise, did well in a shi_te team. One of the few I'd be sad to see heading for the exit. Peers looking for a club in Dublin, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

LOI is comparable to Conference level on a whole.
    Are the players in LOI that could play at higher level? Yes
    Can the same be said of the conference? Yes
    It’s actually called the National League these days, but anyway, how many Conference games have you been to this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

djpbarry wrote: »
    It’s actually called the National League these days, but anyway, how many Conference games have you been to this season?

I watch highlights and a few live games if I can get a good stream.
    I'd say since the season started I've seen 5 games and highlights every odd week.
    Curiosity has driven me to do it. Games seem to be around LOI level with maybe a lot more Shams and Cork type sides in it then we have.
    Only top end of our league would be on a par. I could see 6-7 of our side struggling badly. But I suppose they did that in PD this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have seen a few National League games in England and the top 4 in Ireland are definitely a better standard. The level is not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

A better comparator for the LOI are similar size countries in Europe. It's ridiculous to compare our league with a country with 20 times the population.

Comparison with the likes of Croatia, Scandinavia etc, give better pictures about our own league.

The Croatian league have similar average attendances to the LOI, however they regularly supply players to their international side, as well as regularly qualify for the group stages of the Champions/Europa league.

We're actually not that far off the pace with our European comparators, but making progress means forgetting about looking at the UK and looking to the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Whats the craic with the 'Lee J Lynch' or 'Lee Jay Lynch' moniker for Lee Lynch? Is this a Limerick Fc inside joke that i've somehow missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's so ****ing stupid.

5 yellow cards in 33 league games, and you're slapped with a ban for the opening game of the new season. Absolutely insane.

We had players at Pat's suspended for the first game of this season for yellows picked up in last year's cup final. It's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

monkey9 wrote: »
    We had players at Pat's suspended for the first game of this season for yellows picked up in last year's cup final. It's ridiculous.

Fahey was missing for Rovers as well wasn't he?

Farcical all round.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Farcical all round.

Yeah, he missed the match against us for bookings he got with us.

• Advertisement

Ha, didn't realise it was against yourselves, that's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thats brilliant

#greatestleagueintheworld stuff right there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Farcical all round.

Gavin Brennan, Murphy and Fahey were all banned for the first game suspended from previous season. Brennan's suspension was a red card

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dfx- wrote: »
    Gavin Brennan, Murphy and Fahey were all banned for the first game suspended from previous season. Brennan's suspension was a red card

If we manage to hold on Towell. He will miss the first game of next season as he picked up 5 yellow cards in 32 games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

If we manage to hold on Towell. He will miss the first game of next season as he picked up 5 yellow cards in 32 games!

That is just shocking, I can't understand how this is allowed to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CHealy wrote: »
    That is just shocking, I can't understand how this is allowed to happen.

If the suspensions come with a fine, financial incentive to the FAI to keep this lunacy in place.

€360k salary has to be paid somehow.

It's the same topic at the end/beginning of every season for as long as I can remember.
    Surely a bit if an amnesty would be the simple thing to do. Something like stay card free for the first game of the new season or if you don't your previous cards/suspension kicks in.
    After the first game your slate is clean.
    Managers have the option to either leave a player on the bench or risk playing him in the first game. There's still a penalty element to it but the player can still play the first game and should be fine as long as he behaves himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I watch highlights and a few live games if I can get a good stream.
    I'd say since the season started I've seen 5 games and highlights every odd week.
    Curiosity has driven me to do it. Games seem to be around LOI level with maybe a lot more Shams and Cork type sides in it then we have.
    It's predominantly hoof-ball. Teams are dominated by big, physical players and you rarely see sides string together passing moves out from the back the way sides in the LOI do.

But as has been said, comparing the LOI to England is a bit pointless - makes much more sense to compare it to similarly sized leagues elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That yellow rule ends this year and something new comes in, cant recall the exact details but its slightly better.

• Advertisement

I noticed that the Airtricity league website had done a season review for Bohs so took a look.

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/6540-season-review-bohemians

One line stood out for me
    Several young players were given a chance to test themselves in big games and they, generally, impressed. Stephen Best certainly finished top of that graduating class, while Jake Hyland and Daniel Byrne have also caught the eye.

Jake Hyland left halfway through the season because he was getting no game time and Dano Byrne was injured for essentially the entire campaign.

They could at least pretend they pay attention =/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I never look at that site, they should just make extratime the official site and throw them a few bob.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I never look at that site, they should just make extratime the official site and throw them a few bob.

To be honest, their coverage is pretty poor too. There is definitely a vacancy for a comprehensive League of Ireland site out there, but it wouldn't be a moneymaker in any case. Extratime covering some games is about as good as it's likely to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

CSF wrote: »
    To be honest, their coverage is pretty poor too. There is definitely a vacancy for a comprehensive League of Ireland site out there, but it wouldn't be a moneymaker in any case. Extratime covering some games is about as good as it's likely to get.

Extratime fails to cover a hape of games.

I imagine ET have fairly limited resources in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

dfx- wrote: »
    Sometimes the mid 00s are looked back on fondly by teams who were top then...Shels, Cork, Derry etc

I remember Rovers in 2004/2005 and by any description there was rubbish teams down there such as Longford, Bray, Waterford, Pats, Harps and CHF. I remember Rovers beating Shels with Brian McGovern upfront. The biggest indictment being that Rovers side picked up something like 26 points in two series and would've stayed up without the deduction.

A team that was barely training..

Was that the Town team that got to the four cup finals in two years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Extratime fails to cover a hape of games.

The problem mostly is that there aren't enough willing volunteers to do live updates. If you'd like to pitch in pmasterson95, just get in touch.

CSF wrote: »

I've noticed this before. Even just google terms like "league of Ireland", add in twitter and face book then and you get very few results. There is no central site releasing news, photos and promoting games. This shouldn't need to be a moneymaker. The FAI should be running this. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to follow all the LOI clubs' twitter pages and keep a central site/FB/Twitter page updated with all the top stories/goals scored in matches and other relevant things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ET were excellent, but hit a peak.

Then Goal.com (or someone) started offering a few squid to people for covering games and ET lost a load of people.

ET has provided a great service to the league. To be honest, I think the site needs a major visual overhaul and changes to how some things are structured.

That said, you need the volunteers to do the reports. Without that, it's much of a muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Wasn't there a League of Ireland Facebook page a few years ago that had decent updates ? Must have a root around see if I can find it

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Wasn't there a League of Ireland Facebook page a few years ago that had decent updates ? Must have a root around see if I can find it

League of Ireland blog? Think they go under the name Pundit Arena now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The problem mostly is that there aren't enough willing volunteers to do live updates. If you'd like to pitch in pmasterson95, just get in touch.

Well, thing is, I wasn't really getting into the why when I brought it up. There's always a why so I took that as a given. But it still is what it is and the league is still missing a quality media central with articles and updates by people who are qualified or working towards said qualifications. Most leagues have this.

That isn't to negate the work of anyone donating their own time to a website, blog, social media page or other. The thing is that in other leagues these exist in tandem with the comprehensive media sources and IMO that's how it should be.

Sometimes I wanna read the opinions of an equally biased fan like me, that's why I use Twitter. Other times I'm looking for easily accessed quality match reports.

uch wrote: »

LOI Blog? They were all sorts of hilarious.

No doubt there were many good contributors to it all the same.

A lot reports were paraphrased from other sites and when they were called out on that and copy pasting, the ****-flinging started.

I think they accused ET plagiarism when, a press release from a heart charity was up on their blog first and it was picked it up as well.

There was an incidence of a work account being used to agree with a certain person on twitter as well.

There was a lot more to it than that, but it was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

cant say Bray dont lack ambition....

Masterplan, devised by WDR & RT Taggart, for brown-field site in Bray towncentre. To include 228 apartments, major leisure use, 725 car parking spaces, 9 retail units and fitness suite.
    Image%202%20big.jpgImage%201%20big.jpgImage%203%20big.jpg

What's the capacity of that? It looks like a 20,000 seater. The 3 stands have 2tiers.

I'll believe it when I see it. If the league had all the great grounds it was promised drogheda would be playing in a 15,000 seater, Cork in a 40,000 seater, Shams in a 50,000 to name but 3.

That's probably just the first draft. The updated plans will phase out the football ground altogether...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Derry have appointed Kenny Shiels as their new manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34738134

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What's the capacity of that? It looks like a 20,000 seater. The 3 stands have 2tiers.

I'll believe it when I see it. If the league had all the great grounds it was promised drogheda would be playing in a 15,000 seater, Cork in a 40,000 seater, Shams in a 50,000 to name but 3.

Agreed. There's generally a massive difference between what is planned and what is built.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    boring........

In other news dunno if posted (think I may have) Bray are to move out of the carlisle grounds :eek: And a hotel is to be built there.

They are moving to a sports ground in bray which has "fantastic facilties" cant remember name.

Goalie lad was right all the time!!!!!

Hmmm this is happening (they are moving out) and I do not believe there is any plan for Bray to move back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hmmm this is happening (they are moving out) and I do not believe there is any plan for Bray to move back in.

Any link?

Mushy wrote: »
    Any link?

Nope same dude who told me months ago this was happening.

Are dundalk really releasing a song called "set the town alight" and that mad eejit who set fire to the FAI is singing on it?

pisstake surely?

• Advertisement

What are these architect plans for a new stadium about so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Are dundalk really releasing a song called "set the town alight" and that mad eejit who set fire to the FAI is singing on it?

pisstake surely?

No Maxi is not on that song. His version of "Light My Fire" is being separately released.

What are these architect plans for a new stadium about so?

The first bluff in a high stake game of cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nope same dude who told me months ago this was happening

Those architect drawings are years old, I wouldn't hold much stead in them.

If every artist's rendering and planning application for a LOI stadium that has been produced came to fruition, there would be more LOI grounds than there are GAA pitches in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Eleven-a-side was a great website when it was running. Really filled a niche with quality reviews about the league. Even clicking in to the Bohs section you'd notice an article every couple of days. Obviously it filled a niche but the niche wasn't big enough to be worthwhile.

There may be a gap in the market but is there a market in the gap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They do a great job with the resources available to them, puts the official site to shame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The great escape has been put on hold, 1-0 to Finn Harps (1-1 agg).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Battle of the decent away trips.....no losers here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Don't do it Harps. I don't want to go back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement