Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

MD1990 wrote: »
    Also playing the 1st leg 3 days after Limerick surviving against Sligo was a disgrace. No need to play the 2 legs so quickly either.

Been that way as long as i remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Also playing the 1st leg 3 days after Limerick surviving against Sligo was a disgrace. No need to play the 2 legs so quickly either.

I think there is. There's no point in having this stuff dragged out and teams involved are at a disadvantage as teams that know what division they are in start signing up players.
    I also wouldn't like to see it still going on after the FAI cup final.
    If you look to extend it you could end up forcing clubs to give players contract extensions just so they can play the games. The fixture schedule is so tight because clubs have asked for it to be that way.
    In fairness they both played a massive game on the Friday - Harps also had the 2nd leg of their play off.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pats POTY Chambers YPOTY Desmond
    Thought mcgrath would get it, in fairness I don't know how many games he played for ye but he seemed to be filling in for Fagan and looks an excellent prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

overshoot wrote: »
    We are going up!!!! :D

Well done. Didn't think ye had a snowball's chance in hell against them - but you did it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Well done Finn Harps on promotion to the Premier Division of the League of Ireland, Limerick will come straight back up imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gimmick wrote: »
    To be fair Div 1 is about Turners level.

Thats extremely harsh from a city "fan" the boy stepped up too play when MSL players were turning us down. Gave his all for a few years and moved on and his performances this season have been one of the highlights for a poor Limerick side. I'm sure (if he fancys moving again) a premier club will pick him up no problems at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Absolutely delighted, what a win for Harps, and caps off a fantastic and pretty unexpected season. Great boost for the club and for Ballybofey.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

To be fair Div 1 is about Turners level.
    Eh, he's outperformed the players Cork have there this season. Ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When I was watching the Sligo-Limerick game I was hoping for a last minute Sligo goal to relegate them but this one is even better. The false hope of getting into the play off, the home win, the extra time and then the beauty of a last minute winner to deprive them of a place in the Premier League. Then there is the long trip home from Ballybofey.

That was for Colin Scanlon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

the winning goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Eh, he's outperformed the players Cork have there this season. Ridiculous comment.

Who has he outperformed?

He got loads of games for City, too many, and was never good enough for us. Completely lacking a football brain at times. I don't agree that he's a Div 1 player of course but he's not a very good one either. Good at free kicks and the occasional cross, but everything in between during 90 minutes he was completely lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

At least Limerick have a train option........I love Finn Harps but tbh would prefer Limerick cos yah know its actually in Ireland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Playing the first leg 3 days after harps had beaten UCD was a disgrace....

fullstop wrote: »

I know that's tongue in check, Harps won it fair and square. The alternative to playing the 4 playoff gamrs over 2 weeks is doing them over 4 weeks which would leave them finishing the first week in December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

fullstop wrote: »

That's the way it's always been and do you know something? the players would rather have it that way.Quick turn-a-rounds in matches like these are nothing new in any league let alone the LOI and players would would rather play more than being stuck training for days on end before games.

• Advertisement

At least Limerick have a train option........I love Finn Harps but tbh would prefer Limerick cos yah know its actually in Ireland....

:confused:Not to be confused with Derry and the stupid jokes about them not being in Ireland either,no?Or is it it that people from Dublin believe life dosn't exist outside of the Capital? Have a good look at the two LOI 2015 season tables HEY! ;):)

Better view of the goal from a Harps page.Brilliant.Can just about hear some commentators in the background.
    https://www.facebook.com/finnharps.underage/videos/425001597710823/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

:confused:Not to be confused with Derry and the stupid jokes about them not being in Ireland either,no?Or is it it that people from Dublin believe life dosn't exist outside of the Capital? Have a good look at the two LOI 2015 season tables HEY! ;):)

There will be as many north west teams as Dublin teams in the premier next year :D

Donegalsportshub has drone footage of the first goal too, knegewa (no idea how to spell his name right, lucky not to have been sent off also) dispossessed and at fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Here's the drone footgae of the 1st goal

How come Sky hasn't thought of this camera angle yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Thats extremely harsh from a city "fan" the boy stepped up too play when MSL players were turning us down. Gave his all for a few years and moved on and his performances this season have been one of the highlights for a poor Limerick side. I'm sure (if he fancys moving again) a premier club will pick him up no problems at all

The fact he came from MSL makes no difference to anything. He was a very poor player for us. Went missing too often and didn't know how to tackle or commit to a 50/50.

He stood out in a relegated side. That's great. If he gets a move to the premier good on him. Just hope it isn't CCFC as he is nowhere near good enough.

What? Who has he outperformed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I think Youths will struggle massively and I doubt there'll be any limerick or athlone type revival. As far as I've heard the plan seems to be to stay amateur. They are run on a budget of about 45k - to put that in context shams' reserve side last season had a budget of 80k.

There is no doubt next year will be tough and I'm sure a few of the big boys will put us to the sword on occasion. However, we will set out to win the bottom half of the table and see what happens.

We were deserved winners of the 1st division on one of the lowest budgets (far more than €45k), so money isn't everything. However, the gulf between the haves and have nots is more pronounced in the premier when it comes to compiling a squad. What we have is a group of players with a hunger to play their chosen sport at the highest level possible and it costs them money to do it

We intend to stay amateur and try and retain the current squad with no more than 6 additions. It would be a great opportunity for the cream of the 1st division to showcase their talents in the premier by joining us for next season and Shane Keegan is a fantastic talent scout.

It will be a bumpy journey but we have earned our place among the elite next season. And seriously, what's the worst that can happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

Don't do it Harps. I don't want to go back.
    rmchmufc wrote: »
    Finn Park is a kip. Not sure what the story is with the new stadium.
    Its a complete hole, the stadium is kip, the trip is horrid and the village has nothing in it either
    ScummyMan wrote: »
    For the fans sake I hope Limerick stay up they're unreal, bus loads of them went to Donegal tonight.
    Mushy wrote: »
    Maybe they couldn't get somebody to volunteer. Not like ballybofey is easy to get to.
    Finn Harps 2-0. Very disapointing. Terrible for the Premier Division too imo.
    FFS GUTTED:mad:
    Absolutely. Limerick are a massive loss to the league. Without a proper stadium harps are no better than Bray or drogheda.

So much hate on here. :D

A young local team, playing good football, a local manager, great fans despite a lack of success, a miniscule budget, playing in a League where the nearest away game is 125 miles away.

But all we'll hear is how, once a year, a team from greater Dublin and its fans will have to make the journey to Finn Park? Maybe we could have a whip round for you?

C'mon the Harps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Technique wrote: »

A young local team, playing good football, a local manager, great fans despite a lack of success, a miniscule budget, playing in a League where the nearest away game is 125 miles away.

But all we'll hear is how, once a year, a team from greater Dublin and its fans will have to make the journey to Finn Park? Maybe we could have a whip round for you?

C'mon the Harps!!

Ah here now, my one isn't any hate at Harps. And I think Sober Paddy is a Limerick fan, so he'll hardly be dancing with joy. I'm glad they're up, I get to go up to Donegal 2/3 times a year cos of the missus, really hope can tie in a Bray game next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

C'mon the Harps!!

At least your team can kick the Premier Division players instead next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

C'mon the Harps!!

Don't get me wrong,harps won and deserve their spot...its just a horrible away trip. So is Wexford for that matter, no supermacs in either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Don't get me wrong,harps won and deserve their spot...its just a horrible away trip. So is Wexford for that matter, no supermacs in either

Surely that's a good thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

monkey9 wrote: »
    Surely that's a good thing!!

Someone infract this mad b*stard.

My wedding will be catered by supermac's. Instead of a chocolate fountain there will be a burger sauce fountain.

SantryRed wrote: »
    shels the moral authority on football since they stopped being the dirtiest team in the league. You do realise Athlone got as many reds as us btw?
    but hey least you wont have stewards on the gate holding up (the already delayed bus) for 5 minutes because they sold the away section to home fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When were Shels ever the dirtiest team in the league? Even under Mathews most red cards we got for petulant acts rather than dangerous tackles.

I wouldn't have waded into this until you tried to counter with a Shels remark but I haven't seen a team post-millennium in Ireland as dirty and as likely to cause injury to their fellow pros as Harps.

That isn't to take away from the promotion, I've lots of friends who are Harps fans who I'm delighted for, and think it's a great achievement especially given pre-season predictions, but trying to compare other clubs to the dirtiness of Harps is bizarre.

You are what you are and to be fair it's gotten you promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never seen a dirty shels team hate agreeing with a dirty shels fan :D

In fairness i dont see much of them :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Finn Park is grand, as long as it's not raining. Still haven't seen Rovers score up there though.

0-0 draw in 2006, had the bonus of being able to walk out of the ground at halftime, round the corner, into hotel to get my mobile and back in time for the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dfx- wrote: »
    Finn Park is grand

It's not really though. I would only just put it ahead of Cabinteely as second worst ground in the country.

*apparently I need a disclaimer. This isn't hate of the club or a pop at their achievements. This is purely a criticism of a very bad stadium, hence why they have been trying to build a new one for a long time now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There are some very very bad away sections in the Premier, facilities and views, so Finn Park is fine...at least you could see the whole pitch.

CSF wrote: »
    When were Shels ever the dirtiest team in the league? Even under Mathews most red cards we got for petulant acts rather than dangerous tackles.

I wouldn't have waded into this until you tried to counter with a Shels remark but I haven't seen a team post-millennium in Ireland as dirty and as likely to cause injury to their fellow pros as Harps.

That isn't to take away from the promotion, I've lots of friends who are Harps fans who I'm delighted for, and think it's a great achievement especially given pre-season predictions, but trying to compare other clubs to the dirtiness of Harps is bizarre.

You are what you are and to be fair it's gotten you promoted.

I have to agree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

SantryRed wrote: »

Now now, don't be bitter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Finn Park is a truly awful place but at least Harps are trying to do things right and build a new modern stadium that they'll own.

They've no council to bail them out, and have kept LoI football going in a very small town for decades. Unfortunately it's taking much longer than expected.

(I do agree about them being a very aggressive/dirty side though).

hey i always said we had our disciplinary issues, Ollie was pulled into the boardroom a number of times. But our last red card was back in july before limerick had even won a game if that puts the time in perspective. If people dont want to believe we improved as the season went on thats fine.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Finn Park is a truly awful place but at least Harps are trying to do things right and build a new modern stadium that they'll own.

They've no council to bail them out, and have kept LoI football going in a very small town for decades. Unfortunately it's taking much longer than expected.
    on the stadium it is more than showing its age and one of the worst in the league, but whats the point in putting money into it? Planning on FP2 was granted 10 years ago! There is a large grant funding towards it, however it was given by FF and FG arent exactly being helpful. After the last stage of work the contractor wasnt paid for 3/4 months so hard to blame him for not blasting ahead either. Given the transfer of Finn Park makes the bulk of our contribution, it cant exactly pay for the early stages. There has been no movement in over a year, hopefully promotion will put the pressure back on... In saying that il miss the ground when its gone!

To be honest the best success in recent years has been the underage work, the schools program, academy and the quality coaches brought into the u17 & 19 sides is really starting to pay off. The county panel always had first choice on players for the youth squads, thats all changed now.

hey i always said we had our disciplinary issues, Ollie was pulled into the boardroom a number of times.

IMO Oliie is the main reason Harps have disciplinary problems. Every games he is close to blowing a gasket over the simplest decisions given by officials and the dog's abuse he gives them is beyond acceptable. Player take his lead in thinking they are hard done by and react accordingly

IMO Oliie is the main reason Harps have disciplinary problems. Every games he is close to blowing a gasket over the simplest decisions given by officials and the dog's abuse he gives them is beyond acceptable. Player take his lead in thinking they are hard done by and react accordingly
    thats probably been the biggest improvement this year :P hes learning to bite his tongue

• Advertisement

thats probably been the biggest improvement this year :P hes learning to bite his tongue

A pity that. I love a bit of 'Ollie Watch' when you're down

Both Dennehys, Ross Gaynor and Rob Lehane all transfer listed by CCFC. Word is the Dennehys are going to Shamrock.

How did Lehane get on at Sligo? Guessing not well.

Surprised with Gaynor. Good player.

Id say there is a massive clear out coming this close season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Both Dennehys, Ross Gaynor and Rob Lehane all transfer listed by CCFC. Word is the Dennehys are going to Shamrock.

How did Lehane get on at Sligo? Guessing not well.

Surprised with Gaynor. Good player.

Id say there is a massive clear out coming this close season.

Are they contracted to Cork? If not they would have put themselves on the PFAI like the majority of players on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ya that PFAI list every year always has players on it who don't end up going anywhere and aren't transfer listed.

Not sure tbh re Dennehys. Gaynor is defo out of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Towards the end of the season every out of contract player gets asked by the PFAI if they want to be on the list. It doesn't really mean much. Most of them end up signing back at their current club.

• Advertisement

Ya, was told the same after posting the above. Gaynor is probably angling at a better deal tbf.

Billy Dennehy has been told find a new club again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Gaynor will be signing again, as will Beattie and most of the rest. Both Dennehys told to find new clubs as you said Gimmick. Miller is tuttering over wheter to retire or not. Im told Healy will still be involved next season in a coaching/playing role, obviously he's on the wind down. Serious rumors that Bolger and Fagan from Pats are signing along with Duggan from Limerick and Puri from Sligo. Rumors obviously.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lorcan Fitz was on it during the week and confirmed re-signed with us today. Always the same story, not a great indicator of anything.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Gaynors Mot was working in Sligo, he was keen to come back not sure that is still the case though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Gaynors Mot was working in Sligo, he was keen to come back not sure that is still the case though.

Are you sure? I see him around Douglas all the time with a stunner under his arm, unless I'm just after outing him?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement