Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Well might have change since the summer, he used to be up in Sligo quite a bit. Good lad in fairness for some reason some of the Rovers fans didn't take to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Got to a few matches this season. For the nerds out there, I use an app called groundhopper.
    368094.png

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CHealy wrote: »
    Are you sure? I see him around Douglas all the time with a stunner under his arm, unless I'm just after outing him?

Pretty sure she is living in Cork now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gaynor will be signing again, as will Beattie and most of the rest. Both Dennehys told to find new clubs as you said Gimmick. Miller is tuttering over wheter to retire or not. Im told Healy will still be involved next season in a coaching/playing role, obviously he's on the wind down. Serious rumors that Bolger and Fagan from Pats are signing along with Duggan from Limerick and Puri from Sligo. Rumors obviously.

I doubt Fagan is going to Cork. He turned down Chesterfield last year to stay in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

monkey9 wrote: »
    I doubt Fagan is going to Cork. He turned down Chesterfield last year to stay in Dublin.

Ya I wouldn't be looking too much into it either, isn't he working in Dublin aswell or is he full time? Thought I heard he had a job.

Ya I wouldn't be looking too much into it either, isn't he working in Dublin aswell or is he full time? Thought I heard he had a job.

Yeah it was something along those lines alright. Unless things have changed now. I think he's still under contract for another season though.

The Bolger link is probably true alright. That's being doing the rounds for a while and I've no doubt he's played his last game for Pat's. Kenny Browne has been mentioned as well for Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Gaynor will be signing again, as will Beattie and most of the rest. Both Dennehys told to find new clubs as you said Gimmick. Miller is tuttering over wheter to retire or not. Im told Healy will still be involved next season in a coaching/playing role, obviously he's on the wind down. Serious rumors that Bolger and Fagan from Pats are signing along with Duggan from Limerick and Puri from Sligo. Rumors obviously.

It would be criminal not to re-sign Gaynor. I thought he was one of the most consistently good players this season.

Actually, THAT goal alone should be mean we re-sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fagan under contract, Bolger and Browne gone. Heard it was to Cork but one of them may have changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

farna_boy wrote: »
    It would be criminal not to re-sign Gaynor. I thought he was one of the most consistently good players this season.

Actually, THAT goal alone should be mean we re-sign him.

are we talking about the same Ross Gaynor here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fagan under contract, Bolger and Browne gone. Heard it was to Cork but one of them may have changed their minds.

I thought bolger to shams was a done deal when his move to motherwell fell through?

• Advertisement

are we talking about the same Ross Gaynor here

How many Ross Gaynor's are there that play for Cork City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dreamers75 wrote: »

Any word on which one might have changed their minds? Would be disappointed if it was Bolger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delighted to see Bray actually signing players now, and not waiting until January /February.

Mick Daly and Alan Byrne from Drogheda, Mark Salmon from Longford and now Hugh Douglas has signed. The odd bit is some of those are on 2 year contracts. How is that happening I don't know. Kind of scared too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Mushy wrote: »
    Delighted to see Bray actually signing players now, and not waiting until January /February.

Mick Daly and Alan Byrne from Drogheda, Mark Salmon from Longford and now Hugh Douglas has signed. The odd bit is some of those are on 2 year contracts. How is that happening I don't know. Kind of scared too!
    Sure ye can always just stop paying them for a while if things get tough.

Alan Byrne, aged 32, just finished bottom for the second year running, gets a two year contract. Seems mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Pats are signing Mark Timlin. Was impressed with him last year, very good technically and pace

Mark timlin is a top player. I could see him doing very well at pats but they probably need to add a few more defenders particularly with Browne and Bolger gone and considering they were never what you'd call tight at the back . If Fagan can stay injury free they could be right up there next year. Hard to see anyone in the league matching a front three of Fagan, Timlin and Mcgrath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mark timlin is a top player. I could see him doing very well at pats but they probably need to add a few more defenders particularly with Browne and Bolger gone and considering they were never what you'd call tight at the back . If Fagan can stay injury free they could be right up there next year. Hard to see anyone in the league matching a front three of Fagan, Timlin and Mcgrath.

Eh only Fagan would get anywhere near Dundalk's current side. Kurtis Byrne who never started a league game this season is rumoured to be going to Pats and if he does will start most games. Sums up how far we are ahead of the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

whoever they get instead of Browne will most likely be an upgrade. He is a very poor CB very slow & unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Fagan was thinking of going back to college this time last year when the Chesterfield rumours were happening. Not sure if he followed through on it though.

• Advertisement

Eh only Fagan would get anywhere near Dundalk's current side. Kurtis Byrne who never started a league game this season is rumoured to be going to Pats and if he does will start most games. Sums up how far we are ahead of the rest

That's a very simplistic view of things. Just because someone can't break into the Dundalk team, that doesn't meant they can't become part of a title winning side somewhere else.

Sean Gannon couldn't break into the Pat's title winning team throughout 2013 which was why he left at the end of that season to get first team football, which he did at title winning Dundalk.

That's not to say Pat's are going to win the league next year, Dundalk will obviously be favourites. It's just that other teams can strengthen considerably as well.

MD1990 wrote: »
    whoever they get instead of Browne will most likely be an upgrade. He is a very poor CB very slow & unfit.

He was a brilliant centre back for Pat's, consistently reliable. He seems to have gone downhill a bit this year and though I'm gutted to see him leave, the time is probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's a very simplistic view of things. Just because someone can't break into the Dundalk team, that doesn't meant they can't become part of a title winning side somewhere else.

Sean Gannon couldn't break into the Pat's title winning team throughout 2013 which was why he left at the end of that season to get first team football, which he did at title winning Dundalk.

That's not to say Pat's are going to win the league next year, Dundalk will obviously be favourites. It's just that other teams can strengthen considerably as well.
    There's a lot of players in the Dundalk side who weren't particularly impressive elsewhere before becoming crucial parts of that side.

Performance and fitness levels have risen at a rate a cynic may call questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Timlin would be a good signing for us. Kurtis Byrne could be useful aswell even if he spent most of last season on the bench. We've been linked with Oji and Ryan Brennan also.

farna_boy wrote: »
    How many Ross Gaynor's are there that play for Cork City?

It was a Rhetorical Question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Rhetorical eh?

Six?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Rhetorical eh?

Six?

on a bad day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kksaints wrote: »
    Timlin would be a good signing for us. Kurtis Byrne could be useful aswell even if he spent most of last season on the bench. We've been linked with Oji and Ryan Brennan also.

Ye can have him.

I never would have guessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Tommy Dunne has signed on for two more years with GUFC. Now hopefully we can focus on signing players. Connolly, Cunningham, Winn and Horgan have signed so far. I think we should be trying to pick up a couple of Limerick's players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tommy Dunne has signed on for two more years with GUFC. Now hopefully we can focus on signing players. Connolly, Cunningham, Winn and Horgan have signed so far. I think we should be trying to pick up a couple of Limerick's players.

Take all the good ones please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Regan Donelan signs on for another year at the Showgrounds. So that's two players for next season at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Towell on second captains

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Saw that. Not a big fan of Dunne really but took us up and kept us up, no complaints with that.

Towell on second captains
    Comes across well. Its great to an LOI player getting media attention. It would be great for the LOI if he stayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sounds like he's off though!

Comes across well. Its great to an LOI player getting media attention. It would be great for the LOI if he stayed.

Delighted he said he feels capable of playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Towell hasn't given up on the idea that he could be the player that breaks the mood and gets LOI football the recognition it deserves.

In a panel where he was being told that he must leave the LOI, he stood up for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

goal.com's top 30 League of Ireland players from the 2015 season. Link

kevovek wrote: »
    goal.com's top 30 League of Ireland players from the 2015 season. Link
    No Stephen O'Donnell or Chris Shiels is very strange.

Towell hasn't given up on the idea that he could be the player that breaks the mood and gets LOI football the recognition it deserves.

In a panel where he was being told that he must leave the LOI, he stood up for the league.

What did you want them to say? Stick around Richie playing Finn harps and Bray Wanderers and it's a sure fire Road to a green Jersey?
    He said he would love to be the player that breaks the mould and he believes Horgan has the same potential. Fair play to him I'd love to see both of them getting caps. But the league has to improve before that can become a reality.
    I heard Fenlon saying lately he's going around to grounds and he's looking at the same broken sinks and benches that were there in the 80s! We need someone to lead and take the league by the balls and set high standards so players like Towell are common place. The ginger Co presenter on second captains made an excellent point that players are going over to England and it impossible for them to break through so the LOI is the only place future Irish internationals can develop. That's the leagues role and it needs to step up to it.
    Talk of internationals is a side issue at best. Not to long ago the likes of Jason Byrne was getting caps playing in the league and the league still didn't develop to its potential. The leagues standards need to improve first and then look for caps. It's a cart before either horse situation to do it the other way around.

• Advertisement

What did you want them to say? Stick around Richie playing Finn harps and Bray Wanderers and it's a sure fire Road to a green Jersey?
    He said he would love to be the player that breaks the mould and he believes Horgan has the same potential. Fair play to him I'd love to see both of them getting caps. But the league has to improve before that can become a reality.
    I heard Fenton saying lately he's going around to grounds and he's looking at the same sinks and benches that were there in the 80s! We need someone to lead and take the league by the balls and set high standards so players like Towell are common place. The ginger Co presenter on second captains made an excellent point that players are going over to England and it impossible for them to break through so the LOI is the only place future Irish internationals can develop. That's the leagues role and it needs to step up to it.

You say the league has to improve. Having players like Towell in it is how it improves. The more lads like him, the higher the competition.

You say the league has to improve. Having players like Towell in it is how it improves. The more lads like him, the higher the competition.

No, Towell is a rarity in the league that's why he is the leagues current golden child. How do you keep those type of players? Good facilities and a well run league. LOI players play half their season away from home so there has to be league wide good facilities.

No, Towell is a rarity in the league that's why he is the leagues current golden child. How do you keep those type of players? Good facilities and a well run league. LOI players play half their season away from home so there has to be league wide good facilities.

You keep them by providing them with coaching that improves them, playing a style of football that they enjoy, and paying them a decent salary.

You keep them by providing them with coaching that improves them, playing a style of football that they enjoy, and paying them a decent salary.

I agree. It's an all encompassing thing. Ireland caps are only part of an overall package. As it stands facilities overall are poor. There's a few bright spots with Tallaght, the showgrounds, Turners cross and EDP. But then there are other places that don't even have hot water. When we are struggling with something as basic as letting players have a hot shower after a match how can we expect to produce and maintain ireland internationals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It's a tricky one really. If he has ambitions of playing for Ireland and at a higher level he should really go to England, he has achieved pretty much all he can here in Ireland apart from a European run, but it would take a lot of luck for Dundalk to get to the group stages of even the Europa League. It would be great for the league if he stayed because he's by far the best player playing here, but I think he would be selling himself short, he has earned the opportunity to play at a higher level IMO.

It's good to hear that he's so vocal about the league though, it really should become the best pathway for young Irish players to play at a high level. We will probably always lose the very best 13/14 year olds to clubs like United, Liverpool and Chelsea but hopefully the days of guys going over to join Championship teams academies are over. If young talented players can stay here and play in a national league all the way from 15 up until they're 21/22, grab a decent education and then possibly get a move to England and a few international caps surely that would benefit all parties a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No Stephen O'Donnell or Chris Shiels is very strange.

Shiels is definitely a mad one, the one opposition player I'd love to have in my own team to be honest. Love the way he plays the game for 90 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd think a lot more of a player who wanted to win the LOI every year over finishing 15th with Gillingham or Cambridge.

If the financial incentive is covered by Fyffes, he should be wanting to play in Europe and winning the league here.

Child: "Tell us, grandad Richie about that famous Tuesday night you got a 1-1 draw at Exeter to jump up to 12th"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd think a lot more of a player who wanted to win the LOI every year over finishing 15th with Gillingham or Cambridge.

If the financial incentive is covered by Fyffes, he should be wanting to play in Europe and winning the league here.

Child: "Tell us, grandad Richie about that famous Tuesday night you got a 1-1 draw at Exeter to jump up to 12th"

Is that a dig at dammy Galbraith and Rory gaffney?

I don't think Richie Towell will move to England to wash his hands in a fixed sink or to play in a stadium where all four stands are open. He'll be doing it for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Friend of mine was at Second Captains live and ran into Towell, says a few English clubs have been in touch.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement