Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He was desperate at Limerick, underwhelming at Sligo and invisible at Cork (and he's somehow still talking about going back across the water). There is clearly potential there and it might suit him to be playing at home but I'd be wary of him being the solution to many problems if I was a Galway fan.

I genuinely forgot he was with us until I saw he had left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hope that move happens. It would be interesting to see how he'd develop at Championship level. Hughton is a very good coach and if he can progress as a player, it could be good for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I was told by a very passionate Dundalk fan who has never been wrong before that Towell had agreed a 2 year extension with them. Looks like he had bad info if the independent is right!

What a shame. I was hoping he would stay and break through into the NT with Dundalk. It would have been a huge boost for the league.

No doubt in my mind they'll call him up in the next friendly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Gavan Holohan signs up for next year with City. He was terribly unlucky last season, anytime he broke into the team and started to look good he got injured. Interesting comment in the article, he says John has a plan to change the way we play for next year so I hope to god that comes to fruition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I admire the lad's ambition, but jaysus, he isn't half getting a bit carried away with himself. Thinks he's good enough to be in the Euro 2016 squad?!? I don't doubt that he has the potential to play for Ireland, but he's setting himself up for a massive fall with that kind of talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Oat23 wrote: »
    I was told by a very passionate Dundalk fan who has never been wrong before that Towell had agreed a 2 year extension with them. Looks like he had bad info if the independent is right!

What a shame. I was hoping he would stay and break through into the NT with Dundalk. It would have been a huge boost for the league.

No doubt in my mind they'll call him up in the next friendly now.
    He'd never make the team if he stayed. Squad for a friendly at best. Two weeks with Brighton and they'll have developed him into an international!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

djpbarry wrote: »
    I admire the lad's ambition, but jaysus, he isn't half getting a bit carried away with himself. Thinks he's good enough to be in the Euro 2016 squad?!? I don't doubt that he has the potential to play for Ireland, but he's setting himself up for a massive fall with that kind of talk.

Having seen Dundalk and Ireland regularly, I wouldn't say so at all.

Towell could slot into the Irish side quite comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Will Dundalk see any money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Will Dundalk see any money?
    Nothing
    If though there isn't a fee no one can possibly argue that Dundalk haven't benefited immensely from Towell playing for them. He was an integral part of their league/cup winning side. There's a strong argument that a massive portion of the 650k in prize money they got this year is due to Towell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

In an ideal world, Dundalk would have tied Towell down to a three year deal. However, Towell's advisors would have told him not to do so.

Perhaps, if we were able to offer a big financial incentive (say €4k pw), he might have been tempted. However, would that have been prudent? A financial commitment of €625k?

In an ideal world, Dundalk would have tied Towell down to a three year deal. However, Towell's advisors would have told him not to do so.

Perhaps, if we were able to offer a big financial incentive (say €4k pw), he might have been tempted. However, would that have been prudent? A financial commitment of €625k?

If you want to go bust then I think its the best way to go, I'm from Cork I have previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While a big admirer of Towell, I don't think that's true to be honest. While I've been an advocate for players in the league to get more chances internationally, it still wouldn't be anything comfortably. Hope he impresses at Brighton and goes on to get that recognition though.

At the expense of who? Who would you drop to make way for Towell, bearing in mind that he has yet to demonstrate he can consistently perform at the same level he has done for Dundalk against stronger opposition. Moving from Dundalk to a promotion-chasing Championship side is a huge step up. The step-up from there to international football is another big one.

Once again, I don’t doubt that Towell has the potential to play for Ireland, simply on the basis that he is the best player the LOI has seen for some time. But, talk of going to France next summer is ridiculously premature – he’s got an awful lot to prove yet.

There's a fine line between self-confidence and arrogance and he's coming mighty close to crossing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

All well and good til he breaks a leg or something. You'd be gambling the future of your football club and one misplaced tackle could put you in the ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

doncarlos wrote: »
    Byrne is decent at this level and a good signing for Bohs. Has played on left of front 3 or in number 10 role. Had Horgan and Finn in those positions this year so he had no chance

Very happy with these signings. Can see Byrne playing in a more creative role which we have been lacking desperately for quite some time.
    Kelly --- Lopes --- Buckley ---Mohammed
    Byrne
    Akinade

Could be a very interesting midfield/attack next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

There are no quotes from Towell about breaking into the squad for the Euros in that article, sensationalism from the Independent as usual.

I don't think it's that ridiculous a goal to set though. If he goes to Brighton and hits the ground running he could easily get into a few friendly squads and build on it from there, it would be great to see.

There are no quotes from Towell about breaking into the squad for the Euros in that article, sensationalism from the Independent as usual.

I don't think it's that ridiculous a goal to set though. If he goes to Brighton and hits the ground running he could easily get into a few friendly squads and build on it from there, it would be great to see.

He was interviewed on second captains live and said. I've heard him saying it numerous times this season. That article was written by Daniel Mcdonnell (a Dundalk fan) and a top sports writer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He was interviewed on second captains live and said. I've heard him saying it numerous times this season. That article was written by Daniel Mcdonnell (a Dundalk fan) and a top sports writer.

Heard him say what? He dream and ambition was to break into the International squad?

A young player having an ambition, Jesus the cheek of him

• Advertisement

Heard him say what? He dream and ambition was to break into the International squad?

A young player having an ambition, Jesus the cheek of him
    What are you raving about?
    The posters message that I commented on said that the indo were just making up the fact Towell had said he wanted to play for ireland. I would recommend bed for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

What are you raving about?
    The posters message that I commented on said that the indo were just making up the fact Towell had said he wanted to play for ireland. I would recommend bed for you.

I'm not denying the fact he wants to play for Ireland. Just that nowhere in the article does it quote him as saying he's gonna break into the Euros squad.

If he said it on Second Captains fair enough, but it should really be quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Once again, I don’t doubt that Towell has the potential to play for Ireland, simply on the basis that he is the best player the LOI has seen for some time. But, talk of going to France next summer is ridiculously premature – he’s got an awful lot to prove yet.

There's a fine line between self-confidence and arrogance and he's coming mighty close to crossing it.

Do you know what, I've no issue with your sentiment of "who would he replace" as it's valid but as for the self confidence/arrogance line, f*ck it. For too long we've been happy to just be there or take part and get moral victories. He's absolutely right to talk himself up, Conor McGregor did it and is now a household name and worth a fortune. Without his cockiness, he wouldn't have been noticed as quickly and put in the position to show his skills and get offered title fights. If Richie believes he has what it takes, then I say announce yourself to your audience and your peers. Screw this humble LOI-happy-with-your-lot attitude. Go for it, take your chance to be spotted, issue your come and get me, generate a buzz and headlines and if you have what it takes, it'll stand to you.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

McClean broke into the international team and made it to the Euros in a similar time frame. Obviously he was with a premier league team and had a ludicrous streak of form he's yet to show again since, but it can be done.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Marky Sull signs on at City again. Wonder did Johnny C give it too him Friday at his wedding

There are no quotes from Towell about breaking into the squad for the Euros in that article...
    You’re right, there isn’t – fair point.

Omackeral wrote: »
    …Conor McGregor did it and is now a household name…
    Never heard of him.
    Screw this humble LOI-happy-with-your-lot attitude.
    I don’t know where you’re getting this from? Where did I suggest he should be happy with what he’s got?
    Go for it, take your chance to be spotted, issue your come and get me, generate a buzz and headlines and if you have what it takes, it'll stand to you.
    Yeah, if.

Look at it this way. This is a guy who has, for whatever reasons, already failed to make the grade in Scotland. Now, supposedly on the verge of a move to Brighton, he’s announcing that he’s good enough to play for Ireland. Well, Brighton fans are going to be expecting big things, aren’t they? So what happens if he doesn’t hit the ground running? Patience is going to be in pretty short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Never heard of him.
    I don’t know where you’re getting this from? Where did I suggest he should be happy with what he’s got?
    Yeah, if.

Look at it this way. This is a guy who has, for whatever reasons, already failed to make the grade in Scotland. Now, supposedly on the verge of a move to Brighton, he’s announcing that he’s good enough to play for Ireland. Well, Brighton fans are going to be expecting big things, aren’t they? So what happens if he doesn’t hit the ground running? Patience is going to be in pretty short supply.
    Towell will do well with Brighton. Hes a confident lad, it will do him no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Never heard of him.
    Yeah, if.

You missed my point completely. I said if Richie believes he has what it takes, then he's dead right to shout it from the rooftops. If he can back it up, epic. If he can't, then that's on him and nobody else.

You must be living under a rock if you've never heard of Conor McGregor by the way, not that I believe you.

• Advertisement

You missed my point completely. I said if Richie believes he has what it takes, then he's dead right to shout it from the rooftops. If he can back it up, epic. If he can't, then that's on him and nobody else.
    Well that was kind of my point – he’s setting himself up for a big fall if things don’t work out for him. The lad needs to keep his feet on the ground. Might not actually be a bad thing if he didn’t have a great start at Brighton – could be a useful reality check for him.
    You must be living under a rock if you've never heard of Conor McGregor by the way, not that I believe you.
    Genuinely never heard of him. Just done a Google. Not surprised I’ve never heard of him – UFC isn’t really my thing. Bit of a stretch to call a UFC fighter a “household name”.

Genuinely never heard of him. Just done a Google. Not surprised I’ve never heard of him – UFC isn’t really my thing. Bit of a stretch to call a UFC fighter a “household name”.

I'm finding it very very hard to believe you've never heard of Connor McGregor, infact I'm calling BS on it. UFC isn't my thing either but I can't seem to get way from the langer, he's literally in every newspaper weekly for the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Well that was kind of my point – he’s setting himself up for a big fall if things don’t work out for him. The lad needs to keep his feet on the ground. Might not actually be a bad thing if he didn’t have a great start at Brighton – could be a useful reality check for him.

McGregor is plastered over Tv, radio, newspapers and the internet. He is most certainly a household name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CHealy wrote: »
    I'm finding it very very hard to believe you've never heard of Connor McGregor, infact I'm calling BS on it. UFC isn't my thing either but I can't seem to get way from the langer, he's literally in every newspaper weekly for the last 18 months.

I know plenty of people who don't know him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not sure how you could miss Conor McGregor, been all over the newspapers and TV for nearly two years now. In terms of international audiences, he's easily one of Ireland's biggest sportsmen right now.

And now he is invading this thread :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    I'm finding it very very hard to believe you've never heard of Connor McGregor...
    deisedude wrote: »
    McGregor is plastered over Tv, radio, newspapers and the internet. He is most certainly a household name
    Not sure how you could miss Conor McGregor ...
    I've never hear of him lads and I can virtually guarantee that none of my work colleagues would know who he is either. Granted, I live in London, but I'm back in Dublin a few times a year and I've yet to notice a reference to UFC in mainstream Irish media.

Anyways, this has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

I've never hear of him lads and I can virtually guarantee that none of my work colleagues would know who he is either. Granted, I live in London, but I'm back in Dublin a few times a year and I've yet to notice a reference to UFC in mainstream Irish media.

Anyways, this has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

What do you expect me to do now, put down my pitchfork????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't believe people are putting down a player purely because he is confident in his abilities! He's not being arrogant, he's not saying he's better than any one else. He's saying that he believes he has the quality and skill necessary to play for Ireland, what on earth is wrong with that? Fair play to him for having the belief, it's far too often that Irish people don't believe in their abilities.

SantryRed wrote: »
    …he's not saying he's better than any one else. He's saying that he believes he has the quality and skill necessary to play for Ireland...
    If he believes he’s good enough to play for Ireland, then that must mean he thinks he’s good enough to break into the current side, which means he thinks he’s better than what’s currently available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If he believes he’s good enough to play for Ireland, then that must mean he thinks he’s good enough to break into the current side, which means he thinks he’s better than what’s currently available.

How is that arrogant? He feels he's as good as is what's in the squad. I don't get how it's arrogant at all. It's a belief in his abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Some of the greatest players in the world were very arrogant before they were recognized as great.

Im arrogant and Im fúcking useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bermo and Corcoran re sign for Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Dinny playing for both St Pats now. Mixed season for Rovers still stuck a few away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

He didn't play MF in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

to add to that, Towell has openly admitted he didnt have the same drive to succeed (or i think he put it as 'not fail again') when he was in Scotland. Attitude goes a long way to making a footballer

Whatever happens, Towell has come out of these last few years as a very intelligent, level headed individual who didn't jump into any decisions like so many others.

And to add, it will give failed players returning from England/Scotland at a young age alot of comfort when they see someone like Towell, who returned and had to rebuild and is now off across again with a much more mature head on his shoulders. All the best to him, I won't miss the amount of goals he scored against Cork City but he'll be a loss to the LOI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't see how having a bad start will benefit anyone. I hope he tears the championship apart, then tears the Euros apart and finally he tears the premier league apart. Why? I have nothing against him, I want my national team to be better and it'd be seen by kids in Ireland and other home nations that the LOI can be stepping stone to bigger and better things just like McLean, Ward, Forde, Coleman, Doyle, Holohan and so on, which would hopefully attract a better standard of player and staff to the league for me to watch on a Friday night.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I for one hope Towell hits the ground running if only for our National teams sake. We've so many destroyers in midfield it's not even funny but when it comes to midfielders who can add a bit of creativity (and chip in with a fair few goals too) we're fairly lacking, with Wes Hoolahan one of (if not the only) creative player we have in the middle, and he's fairly pushing on to be quite frank.

While I do agree that he has a chance of making the Euros, he does need a few things to go his way. Most of all, he needs to hit the ground running as was mentioned previously, but even that may not be enough as, chances are, Martin O'Neill will look to stay with his tried and tested. It's only if we start picking up injuries that he'll be in contention really, in my own opinion.

Ideally he'll be looking to replace Hoolahan for the World Cup 2018 campaign if all goes well. That would certainly be my hopes, not just for Towell, but for Ireland.

Steven Beattie signs a 2 year contract with City. Best bit of business we'll do this window.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement