Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

SantryRed wrote: »
    How is that arrogant? He feels he's as good as is what's in the squad. I don't get how it's arrogant at all. It's a belief in his abilities.
    I'm not saying it's necessarily arrogant. I'm saying there's a fine line between self-confidence and arrogance. It's a bit cocky for a guy to be saying he's good enough for international football when he's yet to prove himself at even championship level.

I don't see how having a bad start will benefit anyone. I hope he tears the championship apart, then tears the Euros apart and finally he tears the premier league apart.
    Sure, I do too. Eventually. I think the idea of him being in Euros next summer's a bit far-fetched. Not impossible, but far-fetched.

Look, I wish the guy well. He's earned his chance at a higher level. But all I'm saying is, he may find that the championship (for example) is his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

CHealy wrote: »
    Steven Beattie signs a 2 year contract with City. Best bit of business we'll do this window.

Great news, we're building nicely, still need an out and out goal scorer thou. May be time to give Danny Furlong another go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Wilberto wrote: »
    I for one hope Towell hits the ground running if only for our National teams sake. We've so many destroyers in midfield it's not even funny but when it comes to midfielders who can add a bit of creativity (and chip in with a fair few goals too) we're fairly lacking, with Wes Hoolahan one of (if not the only) creative player we have in the middle, and he's fairly pushing on to be quite frank.

While I do agree that he has a chance of making the Euros, he does need a few things to go his way. Most of all, he needs to hit the ground running as was mentioned previously, but even that may not be enough as, chances are, Martin O'Neill will look to stay with his tried and tested. It's only if we start picking up injuries that he'll be in contention really, in my own opinion.

Ideally he'll be looking to replace Hoolahan for the World Cup 2018 campaign if all goes well. That would certainly be my hopes, not just for Towell, but for Ireland.

Towell is a completley different player to Hoolohan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

He didn't play MF in Scotland.

No guarantee that he would be deployed in that role in England either to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

No guarantee that he would be deployed in that role in England either to be fair.

They're not going to sign him and then stick him back to right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They might. It's where Steven Gerrard started out.

How could you possibly know for certain where any first team coach in England might decide to play him - should he actually go there? Seamus Coleman was an established right back here but was used primarily as a right sided midfielder by Moyes for a couple of seasons before being moved back into his usual role following Phil Neville's retirement.

• Advertisement

By the way, does Towell have to wait until the January transfer window? Or can he go straight into an English club right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

January as far as I know.

Ya he can't be registered until their window opens in January.
    No harm as it gives him 6 weeks to recover from the season and ensure he's 100% ready for a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Towell going to Brighton is not as clear cut as it appeared.

“I’m weighing up everything. Dundalk are still in the picture."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Another 2 year contract handed out by Cork City this morning, to Gary Buckley this time. If the pattern of announcing new players at 11am every morning continues, we'll have a handy squad of over 100 by the time the season comes around.

Another 2 year contract handed out by Cork City this morning, to Gary Buckley this time. If the pattern of announcing new players at 11am every morning continues, we'll have a handy squad of over 100 by the time the season comes around.

Good re-signing.

• Advertisement

At least its not midnight and Cork tweets have a picture of the correct player.

:p

Jake Keegan has signed for Edmonton in the NASL. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Needs to step up big time next season, disappointed me again last season to be honest. Unlike the season before his goals were missing this time and his underperforming was there to see. A decent midfield against him and he goes to pieces and starts misplacing passes, not tracking men etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Saw an interview last year where he was talking about how he wanted to get into the MLS. On route but he was a good player for us. I wish him well. Who will we replace him with I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's a big loss for you's. I was wondering if he'd actually make a move to another LOI team next year. I'd have been happy with Pat's signing him.

Is he Irish-American?

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is he Irish-American?

He's from New York. I've no idea what his family background is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps finally up and running, Coll, Harkin, McHugh & McNamee re-sign.
    First signing CB Ryan McConnell, had captained the Man Utd u21s before a woeful year with injury seen him released in the summer. Hopefully he stays fit.

monkey9 wrote: »

Is he Irish-American?
    With a last name like Keegan I'd say it's a safe bet there's an Irish connection, the only question is how far back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

With a last name like Keegan I'd say it's a safe bet there's an Irish connection, the only question is how far back.

Yeah, i just assumed at the start of the season he was just a local player. It was only a few weeks in that i heard he was actually American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya its a huge loss for us, we need a replacement with pace and workrate, Enda and Podge are good but we need something to stretch teams.

As for Jake, it puts him in the MLS shop window, hadnt realised he was picked up by Philly Union in the 2013 supplemental draft but didnt stay/make it at the time.

Ya its a huge loss for us, we need a replacement with pace and workrate, Enda and Podge are good but we need something to stretch teams.

As for Jake, it puts him in the MLS shop window, hadnt realised he was picked up by Philly Union in the 2013 supplemental draft but didnt stay/make it at the time.

Podge has a fair bit of pace too in fairness. He was regularly getting in behind defences last season before the injury. His finishing let him down though. It's hard to see where we're going to find another goalscorer like Jake. Looking outside Ireland is definitely our best bet.

As far as I know he turned down Philadelphia at the time because it was essentially just a trial and he had offers from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Faherty back to Galway maybe?

Faherty back to Galway maybe?

Probably, but he's no where near as good.

You must have seen a different Jake Keegan playing for Galway.

Wouldnt have minded Faherty back at Pats, we signed Corcoran so unlikely we getting another striker.

Seems we selling Fagan for 9k :pac: LOI transfer rumour chap is mental :D

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seems we selling Fagan for 9k

You missed a zero.

I saw the one who was the third highest scorer in the Premier Division this year and scored 33 goals in 70 odd games for us.

You missed a zero.

No LOI Transfers said it was 9k we wanted from Cork.

Signing for Rovers now apparently in 2 weeks tho.

https://twitter.com/LoiTransfers/status/669883438506360832

hes fcuking great craic.

No LOI Transfers said it was 9k we wanted from Cork.

Signing for Rovers now apparently in 2 weeks tho.

https://twitter.com/LoiTransfers/status/669883438506360832

hes fcuking great craic.

That a joke site! All the rumours originate from people just sending messages to the fella running it. You can send in any crap that comes off the top of your head and they'll post it.
    If Kilduff is worth 15k then surely an in contract Fagan should be around 50-100k! 9k would be a ridiculous fee.
    Particularly when you consider pats may well be an outside bet for the title considering the business they've done already but that would be dependent on a fit Fagan hitting 20 goals+. So throw away a possible 650k jackpot for 9k from a nearby rival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

This attitude is held by quite a few Gufc fans strangely.

To say Faherty is nowhere near as good as Keegan is nonsense. They're both totally different types of strikers. Faherty won POTM and scored 12 league goals this season, which was the same amount as Keegan, while playing in what proved to be a poorer outfit over the course of the season.

Don't get me wrong, Faherty's last spell with us was underwhelming, there is no arguing that. But I heard some supporters damning him for reasons like he gave out to teammates... I mean really.

His form with Limerick has been impressive and he's clearly a lot fitter than when he was with us. He clearly has quality and he won some huge games for Limerick, including when he tormented us in the 3-1 loss against Limerick at Terryland Park.

If we were to sign Faherty, I would be looking to add another striker from outside. Cunningham, Faherty, ANOTHER and maybe Curran.

I think GUFC fans hold that view because they've seen Vinny play for years and know that the last few months are not the norm for him. I'd be shocked if he maintains that form.

I think GUFC fans hold that view because they've seen Vinny play for years and know that the last few months are not the norm for him. I'd be shocked if he maintains that form.
    Some of them have very short memories/probably weren't even fans of the club during his initial spell...

He was our top goalscorer in the great escape season and he did well under Ian Foster thereafter. He had a solid two year spell at St Pats after leaving GUFC but wasted a season at Dundalk where he couldn't dislodge the best striker in the league at the time, Pat Hoban.

He has probably scored in the region of 40 Premier Division goals.

40 goals would be impressive in 3 seasons, not in 7.

40 goals would be impressive in 3 seasons, not in 7.
    Be realistic. 40 league goals in the Premier Division over 3 seasons would be more than just impressive, it would probably lead to a move to across the water and if he scored that many goals, he would certainly not be with Galway United.

You dismiss that goal tally like as if it's nothing, yet some of our clubs most highly rated strikers didn't score 40 Premier Division goals in their entire careers, nevermind 7 seasons. That would include Alan Murphy, Jumbo Brennan to name but a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Id happily have Vinny back, he has a knack of scoring goals and is different to what we have, still think we need an extra pacey type though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Be realistic. 40 league goals in the Premier Division over 3 seasons would be more than just impressive, it would probably lead to a move to across the water and if he scored that many goals, he would certainly not be with Galway United.

You dismiss that goal tally like as if it's nothing, yet some of our clubs most highly rated strikers didn't score 40 Premier Division goals in their entire careers, nevermind 7 seasons. That would include Alan Murphy, Jumbo Brennan to name but a few.

An average of 13 goals a season? I don't think so. That's good in 33 games but nothing special.

CSF wrote: »
    An average of 13 goals a season? I don't think so. That's good in 33 games but nothing special.
    A striker that grabs almost 15 league goals in three consecutive Premier Division seasons will almost certainly attract interest (age obviously is a factor).

Two strikers that have been plucked from the League in recent times without even reaching that goal tally are Rory Gaffney and Pat Hoban.

FWIW, on Faherty, I think he's been a solid Premier Division striker over the years and he's largely done well for Galway United except for his last spell with us where he never looked fit and troubled by niggle injuries.

A striker that grabs almost 15 league goals in three consecutive Premier Division seasons will almost certainly attract interest (age obviously is a factor).

Two strikers that have been plucked from the League in recent times without even reaching that goal tally are Rory Gaffney and Pat Hoban.

FWIW, on Faherty, I think he's been a solid Premier Division striker over the years and he's largely done well for Galway United except for his last spell with us where he never looked fit and troubled by niggle injuries.

I think if you're attracting interest with that goal tally, you've got to have a lot more to your game than just goals, or be quite young with lots of room for improvement. What are Fagan's stats like since joining Pats? For whatever reason we've not been a league recently that has had prolific goal scorers generally since the days of Crowe and Byrne.

I think if you're attracting interest with that goal tally, you've got to have a lot more to your game than just goals, or be quite young with lots of room for improvement. What are Fagan's stats like since joining Pats? For whatever reason we've not been a league recently that has had prolific goal scorers generally since the days of Crowe and Byrne.
    I'm unsure of Fagan's stats, there were rumours that Chesterfield were very interested in him.

True on Crowe/Byrne. In their prime both were miles ahead of what's in the league currently, but I suppose that was a different time and you have to consider the ridiculous money they were on also.

I'm unsure of Fagan's stats, there were rumours that Chesterfield were very interested in him.

True on Crowe/Byrne. In their prime both were miles ahead of what's in the league currently, but I suppose that was a different time and you have to consider the ridiculous money they were on also.

I dunno, I think it's shocking like, strikers in the LOI, the top scorer was Keegan (Towell the top scorer overall), with 12. Jamie Vardy has already scored more than that after 13 games in the Premier League.

For whatever reason we aren't producing strikers that are anywhere near as good as the midfielders and defenders we're producing. Danny Furlong was great in the First Division, obviously it would help his case to carry that into the Premier Division if he was at one of the top 2 or 3, but a goal every 3 games is a nothing record for the rest of the strikers of the LOI. Really bad like.

• Advertisement

What are Fagan's stats like since joining Pats?
    About 40 in 100 league games, I think. Got 20 last year, but has been injured for most of this season.

in everything its 63 in 142, so nearly 1 in 2.

Last season fcuked up that stat as he wasnt fit in most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

in everything its 63 in 142, so nearly 1 in 2.

Last season fcuked up that stat as he wasnt fit in most games.

Fagan has had two brilliant seasons with us, one mixed season where he lost his place to Anto Flood and the last injury hit season.

I'd say Fagan would walk into a lower league England side (heavily dependent on him staying injury free, obviously) but he has a house and family in Dublin so is he really going to go all out to try and get a move to Chesterfield or the likes for maybe an extra couple of hundred a week?

I'd agree that the league just isn't producing talented strikers but as you say there was ridiculous money spent to keep Byrne and Crowe at home. I think if similar money was in the league now the likes of Pat Hoban and even Eoin Doyle may have been kept here, if not for their entire careers certainly longer than they were.

It all goes back to the grim fact we aren't competing with lower league English clubs no matter what anyone says about comparible standards in both leagues.

I'd say Fagan would walk into a lower league England side (heavily dependent on him staying injury free, obviously) but he has a house and family in Dublin so is he really going to go all out to try and get a move to Chesterfield or the likes for maybe an extra couple of hundred a week?

I'd agree that the league just isn't producing talented strikers but as you say there was ridiculous money spent to keep Byrne and Crowe at home. I think if similar money was in the league now the likes of Pat Hoban and even Eoin Doyle may have been kept here, if not for their entire careers certainly longer than they were.

It all goes back to the grim fact we aren't competing with lower league English clubs no matter what anyone says about comparible standards in both leagues.
    I dunno about walk into a side in the English lower leagues, they're generally a higher level than our league and his stats are only good, not great. He is a good player though outside of goals also so I think he would have a good shot at it but definitely nothing like a certainty to do well there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement