Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Towell signed for Brighton. Good move for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Towell signed for Brighton. Good move for him.

Magic Flight time.

but but but a couple of months training with Brighton and he'll be like totally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't wait to see how he gets on. Does he have to wait until Jan to play?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

monkey9 wrote: »
    I can't wait to see how he gets on. Does he have to wait until Jan to play?

Yep, presume he can train in the meantime though?

Hope it works out for him.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Already seeing people calling for him to go to the Euros.

there are not enough :rolleyes:

Already seeing people calling for him to go to the Euros.

there are not enough :rolleyes:

Thought you were exaggerating, then logged on to facebook :pac:

Thought you were exaggerating, then logged on to facebook :pac:

Granted, most of the people calling for it probably have an unusual number of toes, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Disappointing to lose such a player, its a pity we cant hold onto, and nurture players such as Forrestor, Lenihan, Towell, Hoban etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CHealy wrote: »
    Disappointing to lose such a player, its a pity we cant hold onto, and nurture players such as Forrestor, Lenihan, Towell, Hoban etc.

It is but hopefully his success will mean that players like Miele and Drennan come back here to give it a shot.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CHealy wrote: »

Towell and Forrester were nutured by the League Of Ireland. Both developed into excellent players in this league and won leagues and cups.

Lenihan and Hoban went to England too soon, in my opinion. They would both have benefited from another season or two in this league.

I would love to have kept Towell but the FAI's insistence that only English based players are eligible for the national team makes it impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I would love to have kept Towell but the FAI's insistence that only English based players are eligible for the national team makes it impossible.

Do you genuinely think this is the ONLY reason Towell has moved to Brighton?
    I suspect he moved for financial reasons moreso than the opportunity to play a handful of games at international level to be honest.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Do you genuinely think this is the ONLY reason Towell has moved to Brighton?
    I suspect he moved for financial reasons moreso than the opportunity to play a handful of games at international level to be honest.

The ONLY reason? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Brighton in general excited without knowing too much about him, also concerned about the leap from LOI to Championship

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?330104-Albion-agree-contract-for-Irish-midfielder-Towell/page7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Brighton in general excited without knowing too much about him, also concerned about the leap from LOI to Championship

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?330104-Albion-agree-contract-for-Irish-midfielder-Towell/page7

From the forum:

Been covering League of Ireland matches since May after moving over to Dublin for work.

Richie Towell was the stand out player of the season, helping Dundalk win the double, and scoring the deciding goal in the Cup Final. That said, the quality of the league is nowhere near that of the Championship. I'd say more League 1.5...! But, that's not to say that Towell can't kick on and progress in the tougher league. There are plenty of examples of players that have worked their way up through the leagues, to now be competing at the top level - several Swansea and Bournemouth players in there.

Powell reminds me of a young Frank Lampard, pulling the strings, and adding plenty of goals from midfield. Good luck to the lad. Would love to see him in the ROI squad come next summer, would cap a brilliant 18 months for him.

All that said, he has a terrible TopMan/Riverisland hair cut....

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Had a look through that forum. They're not all that excited about the signing. Most think he'll be an option from the bench.

Think they'll be nicely surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Had a look through that forum. They're not all that excited about the signing. Most think he'll be an option from the bench.

Think they'll be nicely surprised.

Tbh they most likely know nothing about the lad so they should be neither excited nor pessimistic about his likely impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They are reckoning bench while some here seem to think he will walk into the first team. While no one can possibly say which will happen until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Best of luck to Richie Towell. Not to unduly burden him, but the credibility of our domestic league now rests on his shoulders - so no pressure lad! :P

We've signed Schlingermann. Takes our squad up to four players. Still think we'll need a few more.

Talk of player coach coming in shortly. Hoping its who I think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

With Brighton doing so well it's hard to imagine him walking straight into the first team, I'd imagine for the first few weeks/months he will be an option from the bench with the odd start here and there. Hopefully he does well in these appearances and can force his way into the starting XI by the end of the season. He could easily be a Premier League player next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

With Brighton doing so well it's hard to imagine him walking straight into the first team, I'd imagine for the first few weeks/months he will be an option from the bench with the odd start here and there. Hopefully he does well in these appearances and can force his way into the starting XI by the end of the season. He could easily be a Premier League player next season.

Hope your right and it works out for for him but it will be a tough task for him to break into Chris Hughton's side given how well they are going at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We've signed Schlingermann. Takes our squad up to four players. Still think we'll need a few more.

Another 7 would be helpful... :pac::pac:

Another 7 would be helpful... :pac::pac:
    Not if its the same seven as last year. Better off with 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is Cretaro gone do you reckon? Always had a soft spot for him but was amazed to see him at centre back when ye played us in July last year.

I'd be surprised if he was gone. I'd say he has another season or two in him, still a good option and covers a few positions.

He's played right back many times over the years but I don't remember ever seeing him centre back! He wins way more in the air than someone his size ever should though, always has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im sure we will see Towell shirtless for Brighton in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

gimmick wrote: »
    They are reckoning bench while some here seem to think he will walk into the first team. While no one can possibly say which will happen until January.

There's no doubt he'll start on the bench. Best of luck to him and all but there isn't a hope he'll walk into a title chasing championship side.
    Brighton have brought in Wilson on loan from United. That lad will surely be looking to perform and has came from a far higher standard than Towell. While they don't play the same position, it's unlikely Houghton is going to go 4-4-1-1 with his two new signings upfront. He'll be stiff competition for Towell.
    Again the very best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

There's no doubt he'll start on the bench. Best of luck to him and all but there isn't a hope he'll walk into a title chasing championship side.
    Brighton have brought in Wilson on loan from United. That lad will surely be looking to perform and has came from a far higher standard than Towell. While they don't play the same position, it's unlikely Houghton is going to go 4-4-1-1 with his two new signings upfront. He'll be stiff competition for Towell.
    Again the very best of luck to him.
    No offence but you were on here last month saying that no championship club would go near him because he wasn't good enough. Apparently you'd seen him play a couple of times and decided that league two was his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Really happy with Schlingermann. The reigning keeper of the year is a massive upgrade on what Heary was able to attract our way 12 months ago.

The rumoured player/coach hasn't had the best scoring record over the past few seasons, but his record in league 1/2 is solid and he has made over 100 appearances in the Championship. Still only 32 as well. Are we thinking of the same guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Oat23 wrote: »
    Really happy with Schlingermann. The reigning keeper of the year is a massive upgrade on what Heary was able to attract our way 12 months ago.

The rumoured player/coach hasn't had the best scoring record over the past few seasons, but his record in league 1/2 is solid and he has made over 100 appearances in the Championship. Still only 32 as well. Are we thinking of the same guy?

enlighten me please with A PM

• Advertisement

Nobody will die if you post it!!!

CSF wrote: »
    Nobody will die if you post it!!!

If someone dies now it's on you.

http://www.transfermarkt.ie/aaron-mclean/profil/spieler/45631

Another rovers fan mentioned the name to me, and it has been posted on our forum. Might be a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The last McLean to play for Rovers was one of my favourites.

Oat23 wrote: »
    If someone dies now it's on you.

http://www.transfermarkt.ie/aaron-mclean/profil/spieler/45631

Another rovers fan mentioned the name to me, and it has been posted on our forum. Might be a load of crap.
    That's the one. Not heard his name mentioned but coming to the same conclusions as others I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I heard Bohs may announce another signing or two over the next few months. One has definitely played LOI before and the other one could have, I don't want to give too much away but you can make your own guesses as to who you think they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Another Bennet guy is rumoured also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

We have agreed to terms for 2016 with Brendan Clarke, Michael Barker and David Cawley. Brendan has won multiple trophies in his 169 appearances for the club while Michael and David join from Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers respectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Happy with Cawley and to have resigned Clarke. Barker must be cover for our full backs.

Disappointed to see Cawley go but it was expected. Think he'll do well under Buckley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah I'm happy with that Cawley. I always rated him at Sligo. Know nothing about Barker.

• Advertisement

F*ck. Raging we lost Cawley.

Bit surprised Barker has ended up at Pats. Was deemed not good enough for bohs about 2 years ago.

Will Desmond be staying with Pats or heading over to England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    Will Desmond be staying with Pats or heading over to England?

Under contract for next season so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dylan McGlade going to Pats..... bit of a let down considering he was hyping up that he was going to Wigan.

Pighead wrote: »
    No offence but you were on here last month saying that no championship club would go near him because he wasn't good enough. Apparently you'd seen him play a couple of times and decided that league two was his level.
    I never said that. Go on have a look for it. What I said was he could expect to play at league one level now. Are you telling me you expect him to pull on a Brighton jersey and away he goes?
    He'll be looking to get some game time this year and give Hughton something to think about and hopefully increase his game time gradually.

I never said that. Go on have a look for it. What I said was he could expect to play at league one level now. Are you telling me you expect him to pull on a Brighton jersey and away he goes?
    He'll be looking to get some game time this year and give Hughton something to think about and hopefully increase his game time gradually.

You keep putting down the league and the players who play it in.

Towell surprised you by getting picked up by the Championship leaders. I wouldn't bet against him surprising you again.

You keep putting down the league and the players who play it in.

Towell surprised you by getting picked up by the Championship leaders. I wouldn't bet against him surprising you again.

I'm realistic about the league. I don't put it down I just point out facts. Brighton didnt think enough about Towell to pay a fee for him over the last 2 years. Then when they did get him for free they haggled with him over wages. Not the actions of a club desperate to sign a player.
    I hope he does well, I think Towells a good player but we'll all find out how good very soon because nobody really knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Why would you pay a fee for a player that's about to be out of contract? Few players approaching 24 (above the cut-off age for compulsory compensation) would sign more than a one year deal, so English clubs know that they'll always be approaching the end of their contract. Why would they be willing to pay a fee for a player that can join them four months later, where they can use that money to give the player a better offer? The short wait means that they won't offer more than the minimum, while it's a crucial period for LoI clubs, so they won't let their star go unless it's a very good deal.

Over the next two and a half years, Brighton will be paying Towell close to a million euro in wages. That's not an insignificant investment.

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Why would you pay a fee for a player that's about to be out of contract? Few players approaching 24 (above the cut-off age for compulsory compensation) would sign more than a one year deal, so English clubs know that they'll always be approaching the end of their contract. Why would they be willing to pay a fee for a player that can join them four months later, where they can use that money to give the player a better offer? The short wait means that they won't offer more than the minimum, while it's a crucial period for LoI clubs, so they won't let their star go unless it's a very good deal.

Over the next two and a half years, Brighton will be paying Towell close to a million euro in wages. That's not an insignificant investment.

In terms of what the Championship club pay in wages around 350k a year is on the lower side of things.

Plenty of players have been over 24 and still left the league for a fee. I'm not saying it's any reflection on my opinion of Towell, which is high. The fact is if English championship clubs desperately sought Towell they would have offered him a contract last winter when he went on trial or paid a fee last summer in order to get ahead of other clubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement