Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It sounds like a good idea in execution but I think negative hesitancy is fair enough considering it's the F.A.I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Safe to assume the clubs will see none of this so

And the streams are ****e apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bray have signed Conor Kenna, Ryan Brennan, Karl Moore, Dean Kelly, Jason Marks and Ger Pender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Where's the money coming from in Bray?

Vinny Fah's return to Galway United has been confirmed. Two year contract. http://galwayunitedfc.ie/faherty-returns/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Bray doing their best to earn the legendary asterix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Bray doing their best to earn the legendary asterix.

The nordies give out two year contracts almost as a rule. Alot of them wouldn't even be getting the attendances Bray get.
    Asterix's weren't cause by 2 year contracts they were as a result of clubs paying out in wages mor ethanol they were brining in.
    As long as the wages are within their means there isn't an issue.
    The current situation is a joke with every player in the league looking for a new club at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

And the streams are ****e apparently.

Mixed reviews from IL fans. Sometimes decent quality, sometimes not great, other times not showing at all. Although, the latter seems to be down to the club's want/means for getting behind the project - delays from difficulty of retro-fitting in old stadia, quality of the internet connection in the area to give out a good stream or just some clubs not really being bothered about whether or not it's a big success.

Regardless, a low quality stream is still a lot better than text updates for a match that you can't get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The nordies give out two year contracts almost as a rule. Alot of them wouldn't even be getting the attendances Bray get.
    Asterix's weren't cause by 2 year contracts they were as a result of clubs paying out in wages mor ethanol they were brining in.
    As long as the wages are within their means there isn't an issue.
    The current situation is a joke with every player in the league looking for a new club at the end of the season.
    Being handed out by a club that still hasn't paid wages to players from a few years back is where the problem is.

That and giving Alan Byrne a two year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads have I missed something but wouldn't conor Kenna push for a place in City Dalk and Pats teams??

• Advertisement

All the matches are just going to end up on firstrowsports!

Apparently the league has a pretty big following from of non Irish gamblers abroad. The big spread of league winners over the last few years makes betting on a team to win the league or on underdogs to win a game very profitable.

I know lads who've gone to places like Turkey or Egypt and been asked about Bray Wanderers or certain players in the league by taxi men, who are clearly getting information off betting sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Apparently the league has a pretty big following from of non Irish gamblers abroad. The big spread of league winners over the last few years makes betting on a team to win the league or on underdogs to win a game very profitable.

Not surprised, the odds can be way way off the mark if you have a shred of information about a lesser known club. Paddy had Drukie Drohan as our second most likely first goalscorer basically all year, despite him leaving after one month

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads have I missed something but wouldn't conor Kenna push for a place in City Dalk and Pats teams??

Two below average seasons with us, so I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Two below average seasons with us, so I doubt it.

Was he that poor? I thought he was strong any time I seen him but maybe he just played well against city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How long til the Bray lads are complaining about not getting paid? Generally if I stick my hand in a fire I expect to get burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Philly Hughes off to St Mochta's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The trackchamp deal is worth €120,000 to clubs I heard. Not sure if that is per year, PD clubs only or split among both PD and 1D clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

kksaints wrote: »
    Bray have signed Conor Kenna, Ryan Brennan, Karl Moore, Dean Kelly, Jason Marks and Ger Pender.
    "Sources" also expect them to sign Gavin Peers and Killian Brennan. :eek:

Should be a strong team. Are they going full time?

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Should be a strong team. Are they going full time?

To the wall is where they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Regarding the Trackchamp deal. This is from our forum - shows the interest in the LOI betting wise.

We were in Romania a few months ago and few lads in Bucharest came up to one of our boys and pointed to his Harps tattoo.

'Yes. Finn Harps. You are doing very good. 2nd in First Division. Make me lot of money'.

A quick search of an LOI team name on a match night on Twitter basically is a load of Eastern Europeans etc praying for a goal or sharing live scores of LOI games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Oat23 wrote: »
    The trackchamp deal is worth €120,000 to clubs I heard. Not sure if that is per year, PD clubs only or split among both PD and 1D clubs.

€120,000 between all clubs...Wonder how much the FAI are getting out of it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Four different SSE Airtricity League clubs will receive a significant boost from UEFA as a result of Financial Fair Play.

Derry City, Dundalk, Sligo Rovers, and St Patrick's Athletic will each receive €38,970 through UEFA's Financial Fair Play Payments Redistribution system for the 2014/15 season.

This is a redistribution of monies withheld from other clubs who competed in European competition in the 2014/15 season and breached the Financial Fair Play rules.

During the 2014/15 season, St Patrick's Athletic competed in the UEFA Champions League Second Qualifying Round, while Derry City, Dundalk, and Sligo Rovers each made it through to the UEFA Europa League Second Qualifying Round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nice wee bonus for the leagues four European representatives from last season. Money came from teh financial fair play redistribution fund.

Four different SSE Airtricity League clubs will receive a significant boost from UEFA as a result of Financial Fair Play.

Derry City, Dundalk, Sligo Rovers, and St Patrick's Athletic will each receive €38,970 through UEFA's Financial Fair Play Payments Redistribution system for the 2014/15 season.

This is a redistribution of monies withheld from other clubs who competed in European competition in the 2014/15 season and breached the Financial Fair Play rules.

During the 2014/15 season, St Patrick's Athletic competed in the UEFA Champions League Second Qualifying Round, while Derry City, Dundalk, and Sligo Rovers each made it through to the UEFA Europa League Second Qualifying Round.

The Bray situation does smell of over reaching. It will make a mockery of the salary cap if they are being blatantly allowed to overspend.
    But I've always thought there was serious potential in Bray. The population base is there between Bray and Greystones. To tap into that you need a good team on the pitch and a proper ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The Bray situation does smell of over reaching. It will make a mockery of the salary cap if they are being blatantly allowed to overspend.
    But I've always thought there was serious potential in Bray. The population base is there between Bray and Greystones. To tap into that you need a good team on the pitch and a proper ground.

Anytime I've been in Bray and got talking to locals, the general consensus was that the majority couldn't give a crap about the Wanderers. But Dundalk is a fantastic example of a large town really buying into the idea of their own football team, at least while they are successful. Same could happen to Bray if they got a small bit of success, maybe not on the same scale but enough to keep them going. One thing is for sure, this will be either a roaring success for Bray, or it will end in tears, no middle ground ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

CHealy wrote: »
    Anytime I've been in Bray and got talking to locals, the general consensus was that the majority couldn't give a crap about the Wanderers. But Dundalk is a fantastic example of a large town really buying into the idea of their own football team, at least while they are successful. Same could happen to Bray if they got a small bit of success, maybe not on the same scale but enough to keep them going. One thing is for sure, this will be either a roaring success for Bray, or it will end in tears, no middle ground ending.

Pretty much this. They are putting matches to 7.30 on Saturday though so it may help. Think there is a big push on marketing too around local areas and getting more involved which is a start if nothing else. Hopefully they've done up the ground a bit, must be a reason for clearing behind the bowling alley end.

That's the way I see it too. They have the potential in their current squad to challenge for Europe and put together a cup run, already on paper it looks a better squad than what Bohs started this year with. I certainly can't see them finishing outside the top 6.

Dundalk have a history of success. People don't come out to watch perennial relegation fights. Even when Dundalk were in that position there were plenty of stories of success from the past. Bray just don't have that and being on the doorstep of the Dublin clubs and Dundalk there's only one way to create it.
    I would like to see them do something about the Carlisle. There were alot of grand plans but nothing concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Ya I mean the potential is there, its much easier for the likes of Dundalk, Sligo, Bray to capture the imagination of the local community given the populations. Much harder obviously for Dublin clubs, especially Shels, Bohs and Pats given that there would be a high immigrant population in those areas not so interested in following LOI. You'll even find that the majority of match goers to Cork City would be from the southside of the City, and the club just doesn't have a long enough reach to make a huge difference on the northside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Much harder obviously for Dublin clubs, especially Shels, Bohs and Pats given that there would be a high immigrant population in those areas not so interested in following LOI.
    Why not? I'm an immigrant in London and I'm interested in following whatever local teams I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

djpbarry wrote: »
    Why not? I'm an immigrant in London and I'm interested in following whatever local teams I can find.

Yeah but you're the sort of sadist who goes to holes like United Park and Oriel so really advertising to us would be preaching to the converted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

To the wall is where they are going.

They'll still stay up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I know lads who've gone to places like Turkey or Egypt and been asked about Bray Wanderers or certain players in the league by taxi men, who are clearly getting information off betting sites.

Yeah I was in Croatia this summer and got chatting to a local. He was asking me questions about the first division and saying he almost always bets on Wexford Youths this season because they always win :pac:

Surely a good deal for the league, it can't be a bad thing anyway. Although not sure what kind of internet coverage they're going to get up in Ballybofey..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Although not sure what kind of internet coverage they're going to get up in Ballybofey..

Doesnt cost much to get a wired connection a few hundred metres.

from experience with 3g/4g United park was the worst off all grounds we visited. For a time we simply could not get working connection with 3, Meteor or o2 sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk have a history of success. People don't come out to watch perennial relegation fights. Even when Dundalk were in that position there were plenty of stories of success from the past.

This

A lot of clubs don't have the history of Dundalk which makes it a lot easier to keep fans when we're not doing so well and to bring back lapsed fans when we are. I'd say the average age of the fanbase of Dundalk is also one of the oldest in the league but this is changing slowly.
    I'm a third generation Dundalk fan and I know a lot of my mates would have been first brought to Oriel as kids by their dads. I'd say a few of the Dublin clubs would be like this also but it's not the norm in the league.

Dundalk have the same problems as every other club generating new fans. The current success and lack of any real sporting alternative makes things a lot easier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Is the Trackchamp deal going to show First Division games as well by any chance?

Is the Trackchamp deal going to show First Division games as well by any chance?

That's what a few people have said. Haven't seen it anywhere officially though. Just says 'Airtricity League' in all the articles.

Checked the quality tonight on the NI game with Glenavon and Carrick Rangers. Here's some screenshots for those wondering what it's like.

50f742b916404a2e89b5e0b20f281e10.png
    1x6Grtm.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't agree with the immigrant arguement at all, when I was living in Switzerland, I used to follow my local team, Lausanne Sports. Immigrants in Kilkenny even go to hurling matches.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I don't agree with the immigrant arguement at all, when I was living in Switzerland, I used to follow my local team, Lausanne Sports. Immigrants in Kilkenny even go to hurling matches.

That's only because, in Kilkenny, there's nothing else on!

:pac: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Captain for the last two seasons, Paul Sinnott, has renewed his contract with Galway United, but Ryan Connolly has been appointed captain for next season. Makes sense, because Sinnott is by no means a guaranteed starter.

Jake Keegan and Podge Cunningham won our POTY and YPOTY respectively tonight.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1204/751404-fans-must-gamble-to-watch-loi-streams/

Still a fair few things to be decided by the sounds of that. Having to make a bet to watch your team isn't the greatest way to go about it for everyone either so we'll see how that works out.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1204/751404-fans-must-gamble-to-watch-loi-streams/

Still a fair few things to be decided by the sounds of that. Having to make a bet to watch your team isn't the greatest way to go about it for everyone either so we'll see how that works out.

The first comment under that article sums up the problem really;
    "As a recovering gambling addict, does this mean I must create an account on a gambling website to watch games?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

The first comment under that article sums up the problem really;
    "As a recovering gambling addict, does this mean I must create an account on a gambling website to watch games?"

And having an account messes up your credit rating with banks too doesn't it. Makes you a riskier propisition

I don't understand the outrage in the comments on that RTE article.

This deal was not made by the FAI to cater to LOI fans in Ireland, or LOI fans overseas. This deal was made so betting companies can supply streams to customers of games they offer live in-play betting on. Why are people outraged that they have to open a betting account to watch? This isn't for them. It isn't a service aimed at a few thousand overseas LOI fans.

I have bet on random chinese basketball games on bet365 in the past. I am not interested in Chinese basketball nor did I open my bet365 account to bet on it. It was there and live so I watched and bet on it. They are targeting gamblers around the world, not trying to force overseas Irish people to join their site.

deisedude wrote: »
    And having an account messes up your credit rating with banks too doesn't it. Makes you a riskier propisition

You can use PayPal if you are worried about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Anyone else think the story is typical of rte too taking their chance to run down the league? The deal announcement never made the headlines, but top sports story this morning!

And on the outrage, did the initial story say it was with a betting company? I think it just ran with world broadcast

overshoot wrote: »
    Anyone else think the story is typical of rte too taking their chance to run down the league? The deal announcement never made the headlines, but top sports story this morning!

And on the outrage, did the initial story say it was with a betting company? I think it just ran with world broadcast

Yes. The article on the FAI website said this.
    About TRACKCHAMP
    TRACKCHAMP is a joint venture between CHYRONHEGO, the world leader in real-time tracking technologies and bwin.party digital entertainment, the global online gaming company which is listed on the London Stock Exchange. They have brought the best of both experiences together to enable a new way of capturing sports and to provide League and Federations with a platform to boost exposure, player performance, and to create revenue streams.
    TRACKCHAMP's many unique features include live-streaming, data collection and video analysis, which will provide a plethora of stats and data to give a substantially more in-depth overview of Irish football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Danny Furlong signed on for next season with Wexford Youths today. More re-signing later this evening

Danny Furlong signed on for next season with Wexford Youths today. More re-signing later this evening

Wasn't really expecting him to go, but relieved all the same :)

This deal was not made by the FAI to cater to LOI fans in Ireland, or LOI fans overseas. This deal was made so betting companies can supply streams to customers of games they offer live in-play betting on. Why are people outraged that they have to open a betting account to watch? This isn't for them. It isn't a service aimed at a few thousand overseas LOI fans.
    This. A hundred times THIS.
    LOI fans are really showing themselves up. It's 10k in the budget of every League of Ireland side and I can guarantee there's none of them looking a gift horse in the mouth.
    They need money desperately.
    Now if RTE/FAI could be compelled to compensate clubs for lost revenue from live broadcasts that would be another massive help.
    But a betting site is not streaming games to improve the popularity of the league of Ireland in China or to Carter to Mick from Bray who's living in Boston now and misses wanderers! They are doing it to make money.

This. A hundred times THIS.
    LOI fans are really showing themselves up. It's 10k in the budget of every League of Ireland side and I can guarantee there's none of them looking a gift horse in the mouth.
    They need money desperately.
    Now if RTE/FAI could be compelled to compensate clubs for lost revenue from live broadcasts that would be another massive help.
    But a betting site is not streaming games to improve the popularity of the league of Ireland in China or to Carter to Mick from Bray who's living in Boston now and misses wanderers! They are doing it to make money.

In what way!?

It's a decent deal of course but the reality is without the structure there at home, it won't make too much difference. The second part of your point is a much more important measure for the F.A.I. to address. Some people always make out that clubs should be happy they are on TV or that they get any bit of money and shouldn't complain about anything just because some see them as 'desperate'. The reality is that money is worth less without the proper structure and the foresight from anyone for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Corholio wrote: »
    In what way!?

Id agree, its obvious to us what the deal is but to all those where it was news they originally heard was the fai marketing it as worldwide loi coverage. Not one mention how it would be paid for by the consumer. How many here knew who trackchamp even was before the deal? Bwin is also a bit less obvious that betwin.
    Given the fai's glossy press release I think people could be entitled to be a bit pissed.

Also by any chance is it just premier &cup games. Rte said over 250 matches shown but both divisions would add up to 310.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement