Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Except not everybody uses it that way or sees it that way.

I think those people need to be prescribed a good dose of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The hashtag is embarrassing.

Is it not possible for LoI fans to live in the real world?

Why not #OurLeague or watch #WatchLocal instead of total nonsense?
    #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld(NotReallyThough.ItsJustAnAttemptAtSelfDeprecating
    Humour.ObviouslyTheLeagueHasAMyriadOfProblemsThatAreNotToBeLaughedAt.A
    ConcertedEffortIsRequiredToAddressTheseProblemsAtVariousLevelsWithThePrimary
    AimBeingAttractingGreaterNumbersOfSpectatorsToGames.PerhapsThenAtSome
    PointInTheDistantFutureTheDescriptionOfTheLOIAsTheGreatestLeagueInTheWorld
    WillIndeedBeAnAptDescriptionFirmlyGroundedInReality.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

djpbarry wrote: »
    #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld(NotReallyThough.ItsJustAnAttemptAtSelfDeprecatingHumour.ObviouslyTheLeagueHasAMyriadOfProblemsThatAreNotToBeLaughedAt.AConcertedEffortIsRequiredToAddressTheseProblemsAtVariousLevelsWithThePrimaryAimBeingAttractingGreaterNumbersOfSpectatorsToGames.PerhapsThenAtSomePointInTheDistantFutureTheDescriptionOfTheLOIAsTheGreatestLeagueInTheWorldWillIndeedBeAnAptDescriptionFirmlyGroundedInReality.)

Wtf is wrong with your phone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

djpbarry wrote: »
    It really isn't. Trust me, I've been to Conference games - the LOI is a higher standard without a shadow of a doubt. In the Conference (and even League 2 to some extent), they just kick lumps out of each other. Probably because a lot of the pitches are in a shocking state, especially this time of year, so trying to play proper football is often next to impossible.

Ok fair enough it wasn't my aim to belittle the league I was just trying to make a comparison. In terms of facilities if you look at some of the stadia teams have in League 2 it puts the LOI to shame. For example this is Shrewsbury Towns Stadium (fair enough they will probably get promoted this year), Its about 9,000 seats, It would be brilliant to see something like this in LOI;
    1024px-STFC_-_New_Meadow_%28Aerial%29.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ok fair enough it wasn't my aim to belittle the league I was just trying to make a comparison. In terms of facilities if you look at some of the stadia teams have in League 2 it puts the LOI to shame. For example this is Shrewsbury Towns Stadium (fair enough they will probably get promoted this year), Its about 9,000 seats, It would be brilliant to see something like this in LOI;

There is.....it's called Turners Cross :pac:

(well without the multiple parking spaces....or any spaces in fact, and without the toilet facilities)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Training facilities either side of that ground too. Turners cross is probably the best stadium in the country but it doesn't come close to that.

Corholio wrote: »
    There is.....it's called Turners Cross :pac:

(well without the multiple parking spaces....or any spaces in fact, and without the toilet facilities)
    ........... or the plush hospitality suite, offering services day and night, on a full week basis; this consists of one major restaurant and over ten corporate boxes.For an array of occasions varying from businesses holding meetings or for clients to entertain business colleagues, private functions such as group meals and parties, and for other events for the public to attend such as Slimming World, football programme fairs and company meetings. New Meadow now also has a fully operational clubshop open throughout the week; the club shop is now purpose-built, as opposed to being a stand-alone cabin, as they once had It also has a 7-pitch artificial turf complex..............But ya its basically Turners Cross :P .

It was the car parking spaces I was most impressed with :P Maybe that's because I have to park up the nearest housing estate every time I go to the Showgrounds.

Yeah, fair enough - I wasn't disagreeing with your general point. Sides at a similar level to the LOI in England generally have better facilities. However, if you move down to the Conference, where attendances are a bit more in line with what you get in the LOI Premier, the facilities also begin to resemble what you see in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Training facilities either side of that ground too. Turners cross is probably the best stadium in the country but it doesn't come close to that.

To get that sort of setup and space, you'd have to move a good bit out from the city. Turner's Cross being right in the middle/close to numerous residential areas and close to town is a huge plus. The club got into huge financial problems due to lack of crowds in Bishopstown and that wasn't even very far out (though, infrastructure was sh*te).

The car parks are impressive, but more regular buses and getting a discount/free fare with your ticket would offer much the same benefits, I think. Better for the environment and reduces traffic, as well.

There's a rail line in the front of that picture from Shrewsbury. They've thought of everything!

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The car parks are impressive, but more regular buses and getting a discount/free fare with your ticket would offer much the same benefits, I think. Better for the environment and reduces traffic, as well.
    Buses would work for the Dublin/ commuter town clubs but with some of the regional clubs Longford, Sligo, Athlone, Finn harps etc. there has to be parking at the grounds because cars are the only way people can get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'd love to see stadia like Shrewsburys in our league but........filling them or even half filling them is the problem.

Buses would work for the Dublin/ commuter town clubs but with some of the regional clubs Longford, Sligo, Athlone, Finn harps etc. there has to be parking at the grounds because cars are the only way people can get there.

Negotiate a deal with Bus Éireann to run special buses for matchnight, maybe. You can get some serious congestion on matchnight, particularly with everyone leaving at the one time, so it's in the public's interest to have more buses/special matchnight buses. Might also be able to cater for members with shuttle buses collecting from places that have higher numbers of fans. I think Athlone run/used to run a shuttle for their supporters' club, to save them from lugging all their flags and drums and everything from the town centre to the stadium.

red sean wrote: »
    I'd love to see stadia like Shrewsburys in our league but........filling them or even half filling them is the problem.
    Well they wouldn't have to be 9,000 seaters. Shrewsburys average attendance is about 5,500. So they are only half filling it most weeks. But they have a top notch restaurant,corporate facilities and club shop open all week meaning they aren't just depending on match day income.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

LOI is the greatest league. In what other league in the world does a club dish out free black pudding at half time??

#greatestleagueintheworld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Bohs poet in residence says it better than I could.

https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/bohemian-fc-poet-in-residence-lewis-kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why do Bohs have a poet in residence?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

CSF wrote: »

Cheaper than hiring a new one every week, obviously

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

There's a rail line in the front of that picture from Shrewsbury. They've thought of everything!
    I really doubt there's a station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jaysis Shels fans.......

hqdefault.jpg

Paul Donohoe ‏@RuiDunsta Feb 23
    Not long now. #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld #LOI

B-jmYLhIEAAB_wh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Frees up an extra player wage for the salary cost protocol.

The annual "oh how ****ing wrong was I " predictions?

PREMIER DIVISION WINNERS: Pats
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Shams, Pats, Dundalk, Sligo
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Pats
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS: Cork
    SETANTA CUP WINNERS: Pats
    LEINSTER SENIOR CUP WINNERS: Dundalk
    FIRST DIVISION WINNERS: UCD
    RELEGATED: Bray
    FIRST MANAGER SACKED/TO LEAVE: Fenlon
    TOP GOALSCORER: Fagan
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Jamie Mc Grath (Pats)

PREMIER DIVISION WINNERS: Cork
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Cork, Shams, Dundalk (Sligo to finish 4th)
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Dundalk
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS: Shams
    RELEGATED: Limerick bottom/ Bray to lose the play off against Shels or Athlone
    FIRST MANAGER SACKED/TO LEAVE: Martin Russell
    TOP GOALSCORER: Morten Nielsen
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Sandr Puri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The fecking size of that car park. Is there a Lidl store just out of shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Sligo, Shams, Dundalk
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Pats
    SETANTA CUP WINNERS: Dundalk
    FIRST DIVISION WINNERS: Athlone
    RELEGATED: Limerick
    TOP GOALSCORER: Fagan
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Desmond (Pats)

• Advertisement

PREMIER DIVISION WINNERS: Shams
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Pats Rovers Cork
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Rovers
    LEINSTER SENIOR CUP WINNERS: Letterkenny Rovers
    FIRST MANAGER SACKED/TO LEAVE: Russell
    TOP GOALSCORER: Nielsen
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Puri

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Dundalk Cork Sligo
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Sligo
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS: Shamrock Rovers
    TOP GOALSCORER: David McMillian
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

PREMIER DIVISION WINNERS: Dundalk
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Shamrock Rovers, Cork, Pats
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Shamrock Rovers
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS: Shamrock Rovers
    SETANTA CUP WINNERS: Cork
    FIRST MANAGER SACKED/TO LEAVE: Alan Matthews
    TOP GOALSCORER: Mikey Drennan
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Puri

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Rovers, Dundalk, Cork
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Rovers
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS: Sligo
    SETANTA CUP WINNERS: Is it around this year?
    FIRST MANAGER SACKED/TO LEAVE: Russell
    TOP GOALSCORER: Drennan
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Can I put Paddy Cregg :) Think he'll make a big mark this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Pats, Rovers, Cork
    EA SPORTS CUP WINNERS: Pats
    RELEGATED: Drogheda
    TOP GOALSCORER: Christy Fagan
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Rob Lehane

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The annual "oh how ****ing wrong was I " predictions?

EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Shams, Pats, Dundalk, Sligo

Pats such a nice bunch of lads that they'll be giving up their CL place to someone else?

Pats such a nice bunch of lads that they'll be giving up their CL place to someone else?

Fcuk the CL, Europa League is where its at.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They'll get drawn against that mad Russian side the far side of China and just concede the tie.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

PREMIER DIVISION WINNERS: Shamrock Rovers
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Pats, Dundalk, Cork
    FAI CUP WINNERS: Shamrock Rovers
    LEINSTER SENIOR CUP WINNERS: Pats
    RELEGATED: Bray & Limerick
    FIRST MANAGER SACKED/TO LEAVE: Alan Matthews
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Pat Cregg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They'll get drawn against that mad Russian side the far side of China and just concede the tie.

There's actually 3 teams over in that area now :eek:. Sakhalin is the newest entry to the russian 2nd tier. Less than 100km from Hokkaido, Japan.

n8T2WAg.jpg

Pighead wrote: »
    EUROPA LEAGUE SPOTS: Pats, Rovers, Cork
    RELEGATED: Drogheda
    NEW BEST PLAYER EVER: Rob Lehane
    Dundalk have decided not to play in the league cup then?

Oat23 wrote: »
    There's actually 3 teams over in that area now :eek:. Sakhalin is the newest entry to the russian 2nd tier. Less than 100km from Hokkaido, Japan.

n8T2WAg.jpg

I and others have put effort into travel arrangments to Luch. But we only get places like that when we are good in Europe, when we are A) not good B) unlucky we get handy trips.

Bear in mind us being good funded us for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Can we have another thread for predictions please?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Can we have another thread for predictions please?

Click NEW THREAD and copy paste everyones post into it, but dont confuse it with the PREDICTION LEAGUE.

Give it a snazzy name so we can search for it in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk have decided not to play in the league cup then?
    Didn't want to be accused of bias so gave the League Cup to Pats. They'll beat us in the final thanks to a dreadful refereeing decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

An American lad called Kevin Garcia is waiting on a work permit to sign for Galway United apparently. He has been playing in Sweden.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/kevin-garcia/profil/spieler/271546

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

2015 season launch blurb:
    Players, managers and officials from all 20 teams were at the Aviva Stadium today for the launch of the 2015 SSE Airtricity League season.

The SSE Airtricity League Premier and First Divisions will commence on Friday, March 6, and a total of 330 league and play-off games will be played in addition to matches in the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup, EA SPORTS Cup, President’s Cup, UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

Among the highlights of the new season will be the return to the Premier Division of Longford Town and Galway United and the arrival of a new club, Cabinteely, who will compete in the First Division.

Launching the 2015 season, the FAI’S Director of Competitions, Fran Gavin said: “There has been a huge amount of energy and passion going in to pre-season preparations all over the country and I want to compliment the clubs for the hard work being done. Clubs are nothing without their communities, and the energy to really engage the local community is vital all year round from each of our clubs if we are to continue to advance as a League.”

Stephen Wheeler, Managing Director SSE Airtricity, said: “For the 2015 season we want to focus in on the fans of the league, and use them as the driving force for our new creative #FanPoweredFootball. For us, it is the dedication of the fans, the players and all the clubs, which make the SSE Airtricity League what it is. Each season is filled with excitement and dramatic endings and I am sure this year will be no different.”

Fran Gavin also announced that the FAI is to undertake a consultation process for the SSE Airtricity League which will involve all stakeholders in the domestic game, the clubs, the media, the supporters, the general public and many other groups. The process will be headed Declan Conroy who led the successful Europa League and Euro 2020 bids. It will start next week and, as part of the process, every club will be met individually and the public will also be invited to express their views. The process will take a couple of months to complete and the details will be communicated to clubs on Monday. The pubic consultation will start from Tuesday, March 3.

“There are two objectives: to get views on how the clubs and the league currently operates and also to get opinions on how the clubs and the league can move forward. I am sure there will be lots of different opinions but we want to hear them. This League has a big heritage and we need to work hard and work together if we are to make it strong for the future,” said Mr Gavin.

SSE Airtricity are set to roll out a national advertising campaign which focuses on the availability of live football in Ireland using the slogan “Fan Powered Football” and will use the hashtag #FanPoweredFootball on their social media platforms when referencing the league. A special promotional video was shown for the first time at today’s launch and can be viewed at

RTE and Setanta Sports will also continue their live coverage of matches during the season and RTE has also committed to covering the SSE Airtricity League each week during the season through their popular football programme Soccer Republic which will commence on Monday, March 9, at 11:05 on RTÉ2.

The 12 clubs participating in the 2015 Premier Division will be: Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Galway United, Longford Town, Limerick, St Patrick’s Athletic, Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers. The eight clubs participating in the 2015 First Division will be: Athlone Town, Cabinteely, Cobh Ramblers, Finn Harps, Shelbourne, Waterford United, Wexford Youths and UCD.

The EA SPORTS Cup will begin on March 9.

There's something familiar about that #FanPoweredFootball idea.

Did the Bohs poet in residence write a poem for the launch

Did the Bohs poet in residence write a poem for the launch

I think this is it, not too bad either;

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2015/0225/682739-lewis-kenny-bohs-poet-in-residence/

Gonna be honest thought he was a pats fan rolling a joint when i seen that photo the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

New harps kit by Legea, 3 year deal apparently
    Link... as the image is a bit big when copied...
    will have them in stock for the first home game too which is great after last years mess with Macron

I feel my cynicism was either missed or either masterfully ignored.

I feel my cynicism was either missed or either masterfully ignored.

I got the cynicism, I chose to ignore it.

I got the cynicism, I chose to ignore it.
    Really I'm just jealous because Shels are yet to appoint a Turntablist In Residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

We appointed a poet as honorary club president!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement