Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Corholio wrote: »
    In what way!?
    This is a good news story for the league. People on the RTE comments section are cibbing that they`ll have to set up an account or x, y and z. But as has been pointed out by another commenter here that's not why Bwin (a gambling site) have gotten involved.
    I`d be of the view we should happily take Bwins money because our clubs need it and the league has been poor at opening up external revenue streams outside match day gates. This deal is all about allowing gamblers to gamble and has little to nothing to do with showing games to diaspora. We have to realise and accept that but I do hope that's a welcome side effect.
    overshoot wrote: »
    How many here knew who trackchamp even was before the deal? Bwin is also a bit less obvious that betwin.
    I`d heard about them when they signed a similar deal with the Nordies last year. I was hopeful a similar deal could be struck here and thankfully that has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This is a good news story for the league. People on the RTE comments section are cibbing that they`ll have to set up an account or x, y and z. But as has been pointed out by another commenter here that's not why Bwin (a gambling site) have gotten involved.
    I`d be of the view we should happily take Bwins money because our clubs need it and the league has been poor at opening up external revenue streams outside match day gates. This deal is all about allowing gamblers to gamble and has little to nothing to do with showing games to diaspora. We have to realise and accept that but I do hope that's a welcome side effect.

I agree with most of that, but surely you can see the slight annoyance from the initial way the news was announced to the actual details of it, from the F.A.I's side. If the club's get their fair share of the money then great of course.

Corholio wrote: »
    I agree with most of that, but surely you can see the slight annoyance from the initial way the news was announced to the actual details of it, from the F.A.I's side. If the club's get their fair share of the money then great of course.
    Of course I can understand that. But we desperately need good news stories. And people going on to RTEs website and cribbing about how they are surprised Bwin (a gambling site) aren't going to let them see games without gambling is equally annoying as the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Of course I can understand that. But we desperately need good news stories. And people going on to RTEs website and cribbing about how they are surprised Bwin (a gambling site) aren't going to let them see games without gambling is equally annoying as the FAI.

Agreed but equally those frequenting the rte comments section and moaning probably dont follow the league enough to know that the money will fund all d1 teams' squads for a month or know about the NI deal last year. Its annoying but a waste of time being worked up about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Colin Healy sign's for next season and Ross Gaynor departs. Delighted with Healy, even though he won't play as many games he's definitely being prepped for an eventual coaching, even managerial job at City. Gaynor is a solid player in my eyes so I hope JC has someone lined up.

Caulfield is actually flying off to the States on Friday on a scouting mission, I think he has a good link up with that crown that played a few games over here last year, PSC Academy. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Where is Gaynor for ?

Not sure, there was talk a few weeks back about Shamrock Rovers wanting him but nothing concrete. I'm a bit suprised he left he seemed to really enjoy being down here, might want to be closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Gaynor is talking to Dundalk. Kenny is a big fan and wants a player to cover the left side. He may play Horgan more in the centre this year.

Gaynor has plenty of other options though. He has been the stand out payer for Cork.

Gaynor is talking to Dundalk. Kenny is a big fan and wants a player to cover the left side. He may play Horgan more in the centre this year.

Gaynor has plenty of other options though. He has been the stand out payer for Cork.

No he hasn't, not even close. In fact he even lost his place in the team when Kevin O'Connor started playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not pleased he has left, but he was very hit or miss in the sense that when he was good he was great, but when he was off form he was absolutely awful.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    No he hasn't, not even close. In fact he even lost his place in the team when Kevin O'Connor started playing well.

People have different ideas of what constitutes a stand out player.

People have different ideas of what constitutes a stand out player.

Whats your definition?

As Gimmick said, he was a hit or miss player. When he first came in, he was outstanding, then he gradually declined once his place was cemented, Sligo fans actually warned us that would happen and I thought they were well off the mark but turns out they were bang on. He's a good player but very replaceable.

I liked him for Sligo Rovers however a lot of the fans didn't feel the same. He is a solid player prob deserves a top 5 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not sure, there was talk a few weeks back about Shamrock Rovers wanting him but nothing concrete. I'm a bit suprised he left he seemed to really enjoy being down here, might want to be closer to home.
    I'm guessing maybe there was a personality clash between the two of them. I seen three Cork games this season and in two of them Caulfield and Gaynor were at each other the whole game. Caulfield barking orders at Gaynor who wasn't shy in barking abuse back at him. Seemed to be a lot of tension between the two. Interesting to see who picks him up.

Ross suited to a team that will play it on the deck more than Cork (under Caulfield).

Whats your definition?

As Gimmick said, he was a hit or miss player. When he first came in, he was outstanding, then he gradually declined once his place was cemented, Sligo fans actually warned us that would happen and I thought they were well off the mark but turns out they were bang on. He's a good player but very replaceable.

I look at the opposing team and try to identify the player/s who can cause us problems.

Each time we player Cork, Gaynor was one. O'Sullivan was the other.

If Gaynor gets the ball in the right areas of the pitch, he can put in crosses that are difficult to defend.

I accept the points regarding his consistency. We saw it during his two season with Dundalk too.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Ross suited to a team that will play it on the deck more than Cork (under Caulfield).

I would have said he was absolutely suited to the long ball game seeing as he was the biggest culprit, but maybe that was coached into him.

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm guessing maybe there was a personality clash between the two of them. I seen three Cork games this season and in two of them Caulfield and Gaynor were at each other the whole game. Caulfield barking orders at Gaynor who wasn't shy in barking abuse back at him. Seemed to be a lot of tension between the two. Interesting to see who picks him up.

Wasn't aware of this but its very plausible. Caulfield is either a guy you get on with or you don't, theres no "lets meet in the middle" there.

Yeah maybe however I preferred him in midfield getting forward and putting the crosses from the byline.

Theres talk now that it was a Caulfield lead decision not to sign Ross back, so I think Pighead could be on the money with his earlier post.

• Advertisement

Theres talk now that it was a Caulfield lead decision not to sign Ross back, so I think Pighead could be on the money with his earlier post.

I was surprised at the interviews given by Gaynor after the cup final, particularly to the local papers in Dundalk.

They were very negative towards Cork's playing style and tactics. I can't imagine any manager would be happy reading such criticism from a player.

Caulfield is actually flying off to the States on Friday on a scouting mission, I think he has a good link up with that crown that played a few games over here last year, PSC Academy. I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    I'd say if Caulfield is going to America on a scouting mission he has a few targets lined up. Presumably the club is part/fully funding the trip. The way the American league system is set up there's a good few quality players at colleges who would only love to travel to ire-a-land as they know it's on the doorstep of the European big leagues.

I'd say if Caulfield is going to America on a scouting mission he has a few targets lined up. Presumably the club is part/fully funding the trip. The way the American league system is set up there's a good few quality players at colleges who would only love to travel to ire-a-land as they know it's on the doorstep of the European big leagues.

There would want to be something to it if they are financing a two week trip to the US. I remember we played an academy select last January for our first pre-season game, and there was some fantastic players.

Sean Connor has some contacts in Zimbabwe, if the USA scouting trip doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Did he ever make it home from Zimbabwe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Did he ever make it home from Zimbabwe?

If only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Ah,that's a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Patrick McEleney leaves us for Dundalk.

Will be interesting to see how he does, or even how much he plays. He is heading into a top team with a load of top players. He is a great talent but he's a bit of a lazy, luxury player, not sure if that will fit into the Dundalk team?

Then again, he could be great in a great team. He has the ability.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Patrick McEleney leaves us for Dundalk.

Will be interesting to see how he does, or even how much he plays. He is heading into a top team with a load of top players. He is a great talent but he's a bit of a lazy, luxury player, not sure if that will fit into the Dundalk team?

Then again, he could be great in a great team. He has the ability.
    I'm hearing a figure around 20k in compensation due, any truth in it?

Didn't hear that.

His departure won't go down well up here, but hey, the fella has to make a living and we have no money.

I am not sure if he will prove to be a success or not, he's in a big pond now, whereas up here he was our star player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Didn't hear that.

His departure won't go down well up here, but hey, the fella has to make a living and we have no money.

I am not sure if he will prove to be a success or not, he's in a big pond now, whereas up here he was our star player.
    Is that confirmed that he's coming to Dundalk? I was reading somewhere earlier on that Pats came in with a late offer and he was going to announce his decision this afternoon. 20k compensation is the figure being reported.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Are Derry's players generally coming down south given the club's circumstances or are they heading across to the IL?

Robbie Benson joins Dundalk from UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Is that confirmed that he's coming to Dundalk? I was reading somewhere earlier on that Pats came in with a late offer and he was going to announce his decision this afternoon. 20k compensation is the figure being reported.

Just heard Pats offer from an extremely good source. Would seriously hope we don't match it.
    Fantastic player but would be crazy for us to offer him a similar contract when he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Surely there's enough players knocking around not to have to spend 25k on a player?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Surely there's enough players knocking around not to have to spend 25k on a player?

Would pay 50 if they took the other one back. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

doncarlos wrote: »
    Just heard Pats offer from an extremely good source. Would seriously hope we don't match it.
    Fantastic player but would be crazy for us to offer him a similar contract when he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

Looks like we have. He's expected to be announced at kit launch tonight

Benson is a top player. He must have finished his degree at UCD.
    Big boots to fill in that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Benson is a top player. He must have finished his degree at UCD.
    Big boots to fill in that role.

Is he definetly going to Dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Is he definetly going to Dundalk?

Definitely yeah, formally announced at the jersey event tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Derry exodus continues, we have taken Ryan Curran, 7 goals in 24 appearances for them so hopefully can provide us with a few. Brings our squad to 10 (2 new, 8 re-signed)

Think Benson will do well with Dundalk, best player in D1 last year, UCD were a completely different team with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2 good signings in Benson & McEleney for Dundalk.

Benson is a quality signing for Dundalk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Robbie Benson joins Dundalk from UCD.
    I promised myself I wouldn't cry.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Didn't hear that.

€28,000 in development/solidarity payments are due to Derry according to Neill O'Riordan from the IrishSun but payments could vary depending on the deal/sell on clauses in the final deal?

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/6782696/Pats-not-going-for-nothing.html?
    I promised myself I wouldn't cry.......
    UCD may also be due a development/solidarity payment from Dundalk.(as above) but at a rate much lower i believe than the McEleney one(gross wages last 12 months)
    Might ease the pain :) a bit
    Benson interview on joining Dundalk > http://www.dundalkfc.com/benson-becomes-lilywhite/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Aidan Friel (Athlone) and Danny Ledwith (Sligo) both signed for the Youths.

Don't know much about Friel, anyone know what he's like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ledwith's a good signing.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Ledwith's a good signing.

that is debatable

Ledwith be fine in Div 1, glad he is away from us though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

that is debatable

It's not even debatable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement