Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Corholio wrote: »
    How has he done for Galway? I remember seeing him a few years ago play for Mervue down at the cross on a few occasions and he looked quite impressive.

Shanahan extends contract
    Shanahan has made 70 appearances in two seasons with the Tribesmen, scoring 12 goals in the process.

In 2015, Shanahan featured in every competitive Galway United fixture ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

wadacrack wrote: »
    Is Paul Cahillane re-signing?

Paul has committed himself to bog ball for next year. He won't be signing back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Quigley confirmed for Bohs. Can't say I'm happy but I'll put my trust in Long to know what he's doing.

Long doesn't know what he's doing as much as he knows what he's doing when he buys a scratch card.

Quigley is a talent and it may very well work out, but only if Quigley decides to be bothered. I cannot understand a talent like that just sauntering and flicking a lovely pass here and there when it suits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Paul has committed himself to bog ball for next year. He won't be signing back
    I really struggle to understand how someone who likes both sports can choose Gaelic over football. Gaelic requires not much skill at all. For instance a football player can easily play gaelic while gaelic players are often very poor at football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MD1990 wrote: »
    I really struggle to understand how someone who likes both sports can choose Gaelic over football. Gaelic requires not much skill at all. For instance a football player can easily play gaelic while gaelic players are often very poor at football.

Or maybe they just prefer the game?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

monkey9 wrote: »
    Long doesn't know what he's doing as much as he knows what he's doing when he buys a scratch card.

Quigley is a talent and it may very well work out, but only if Quigley decides to be bothered. I cannot understand a talent like that just sauntering and flicking a lovely pass here and there when it suits him.

Exactly.

There's so much upside to a player like Quigley. If it doesn't work out then release him. Bohs are at a level financially though where if they want to challenge the likes of Pats and Rovers for Europe then they need to be less risk-averse. Same reason we could pick up a player like Akinade.

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. We release him. If it works out, we have one of the most technically gifted players to play in the league over the past 10 years on our team.

I fully agree, but what the heart wants, the heart wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

to be fair I doubt many soccer players would have the physicality for football, we all knows lads that play soccer and make ok footballers because they are fit but modern football especially at inter county level is a lot more physical than soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

to be fair I doubt many soccer players would have the physicality for football, we all knows lads that play soccer and make ok footballers because they are fit but modern football especially at inter county level is a lot more physical than soccer

Can't say I agree with this. You've obviously never seen a tackle from Chris Shields

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

More prestige to playing intercounty for your native county than League of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

deisedude wrote: »
    More prestige to playing intercounty for your native county than League of Ireland
    Depends on the county. In Sligo nobody gives a ****e about the gah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

AgileMyth wrote: »

I'm a townie and don't give a **** alright but I know plenty that live it year in year out, however these people have never stepped foot inside the showgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Certainly more prestige to playing for your native county than Wexford Youths to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

howiya wrote: »
    Certainly more prestige to playing for your native county than Wexford Youths to be fair
    Depends wether pink is your colour or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

That is not true at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

howiya wrote: »

In this specific case I'd say it's more the fact that he wasn't even making the bench for us at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Chris Turner to rovers?

Such a nice chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...gaelic players are often very poor at football.
    Don't know about that - Thierry Henry was fairly useful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

djpbarry wrote: »
    Don't know about that - Thierry Henry was fairly useful.

OMG, it's the ghost of Christmas past.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

In this specific case I'd say it's more the fact that he wasn't even making the bench for us at times.

When he signed, Paul Cahillane agreed the exact fixtures he would be available for, given his Gah commitments. It wasn't ideal, but Shane Keegan brought him in for the final push if any regulars were injured or suspended

When he signed, Paul Cahillane agreed the exact fixtures he would be available for, given his Gah commitments. It wasn't ideal, but Shane Keegan brought him in for the final push if any regulars were injured or suspended

That's totally fine, but I'd put him behind Conor English, Rox, and even Deano if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

That's totally fine, but I'd put him behind Conor English, Rox, and even Deano if he's fit.
    Seen Cahillane play twice for Youths. Was disapointed with his fitness and work rate but he did arrive in the middle of the season, but could see he glimpses he has very good technical ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Chris Turner to rovers?

Such a nice chap.

I'd be surprised, the reason he left before was because his missus and child we're still in Scotland and wouldn't settle here.

But you never know I suppose

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Any of the Wexford Youths fans worried about the coming season or just happy to be in the premier?

This isn't a dig by the way, when Dundalk were promoted we kept two players. The step up to the premier is a lot more now than it was then also. I'd be concerned that could be some serious pastings coming your way

doncarlos wrote: »
    Any of the Wexford Youths fans worried about the coming season or just happy to be in the premier?

This isn't a dig by the way, when Dundalk were promoted we kept two players. The step up to the premier is a lot more now than it was then also. I'd be concerned that could be some serious pastings coming your way

Nothing to be worried about. If we go straight down, fair enough, we've still achieved our major goal. No pressure. Myself (and To Elland Back) were supporting the club when we were stone dead last in the first division so I'm happy about next season no matter what.

In terms of my expectations, I'll wait and see what our complete squad looks like before saying for sure. But keeping Danny Furlong, Andy Mulligan, Gary Delaney, Ryan Delaney, Lee Grace and Rox Keenan I believe puts us in a position that is at least on a par with the other clubs who are likely to be fighting relegation too. Our defence and main striker are premier division quality, but I would like to see us build up our midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

wadacrack wrote: »
    Yeah he was released by them last week

"Dylan will be released. We'll make him a free agent so he can go and get a club in Ireland if he can," said McCarthy.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/loi-return-for-connolly-34286943.html

Think it may have been a mutual agreement, his missus had a nipper over the weekend!
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Wasn't he in the first division team of the season?

He was, rightly so. But he's not a player developed enough nor someone who will probably start for Pats. Chap has potential but is far too cocky for his own good which probably won't help him progress.

Chap has potential but is far too cocky for his own good which probably won't help him progress.

He doesnt half love himself on twitter followed and unfollowed in a matter of minutes.

Brennan to Rovers on a 2 year deal? We only offered him one year but more money.

Guess he is a wanker again :D

He doesnt half love himself on twitter followed and unfollowed in a matter of minutes.

Harping on he was signing for Wigan........ ends up with Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Harping on he was signing for Wigan........ ends up with Pats.

He did have a trial there to be fair, clearly he lost the run of himself with excitement.

Nothing to be worried about. If we go straight down, fair enough, we've still achieved our major goal. No pressure. Myself (and To Elland Back) were supporting the club when we were stone dead last in the first division so I'm happy about next season no matter what.

Exactly, and even in those dark days, not one player has ever been given stick from the supporters. There will be tough days but I don't expect that to change.

Don't get me wrong, we're not aiming for a 1 season party. We want to stay in the Premier, but we will target our battles. We will set out to take points where we identify it as viable and whatever happen in the other games will happen. Fear of getting tonked will not be an issue

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »

Hearing they may not get a Premier license, issues with Ferrycarrig including the jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Wexford Youths fans have the right attitude, they're expected to be relegated (outside of their own club anyway), anything else is a huge plus, lets be honest.

Without a doubt, there will be a few occasions, particularly because it seems Wexford are sticking with the squad that won them promotion, where they will get tanked. But they're pigs to play against, I hated games against them, particularly in Ferrycarrig. They're an agricultural team IMO and they will make it difficult for teams and they have an actual tangible threat in their team in Danny Furlong. They will surprise a few clubs next year without a doubt. Dogged team.

Over reliance on Furlong may be an issue, I would say look at David O'Sullivan this year, he banged goals in for fun in the First Division and struggled a bit in the Premier Division. Did he even score 5-6 goals?

Hearing they may not get a Premier license, issues with Ferrycarrig including the jacks.

We've been well aware of the problems with the ground for licensing and it is being worked on, I'd ignore any rumours until there's a proper statement made.

We've been well aware of the problems with the ground for licensing and it is being worked on, I'd ignore any rumours until there's a proper statement made.

Doesn't need to be worked on, just a blue print will do for the FAI Independent Licensing Committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

That's why 10,000 Sligo people went to see them lose by 30 points. These kind of arguments just make LOI fans look like idiots. GAA is king in this country wether we like it or not.

Nope, already dealt with. The club engaged a licencing consultant and matters addressed. The toilets have always been a problem and are being rebuilt properly. New fencing is going around the pitch, the stand is being repaired and fan segregation is only required for 3 teams

Nope, already dealt with. The club engaged a licencing consultant and matters addressed. The toilets have always been a problem and are being rebuilt properly. New fencing is going around the pitch, the stand is being repaired and fan segregation is only required for 3 teams

Good to hear. I've heard great things about the pasta down there.
    Who are the 3 team? Shams are one?

Wexford have a far better setup than most PL teams ...us included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gannon has re-signed with Dundalk. http://www.dundalkfc.com/gannon-pens-new-deal-2/
    Very important signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That's why 10,000 Sligo people went to see them lose by 30 points. These kind of arguments just make LOI fans look like idiots. GAA is king in this country wether we like it or not.
    Must have been some kind of final? They love a day out.

• Advertisement

Must have been some kind of final? They love a day out.
    Connaught final. You seem to be fairly clueless on the GAAs popularity. Any more questions? I realise you may be a foreign national or have been living under a stone so I have no problem helping you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No it doesn't. What a poster says reflects on that poster and no one else. Certainly not the other 15,000 LoI fans.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    No it doesn't. What a poster says reflects on that poster and no one else. Certainly not the other 15,000 LoI fans.

Fair point and it was a generalisation on my part. Season ticket holder at Sligo rovers by the way. When I saw a rovers fan coming out with drivel like that I had to comment.

There's a perception of LOI fans as being bitter so those kind of comments annoy me as they support an unfair perception. I say live and let live and best of luck to the GAA and hopefully GAA people wish LOI fans the same.

CWiIKFMWUAAGxmI.jpg:large

Not a fan, think umbro half arsing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its ok. Would prefer more white on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Our jerseys tend to be the same anyway. The fact we have red sleeves over white this year is Umbro's equivalent of Dylan playing electric guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Any news on the fixtures for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

monkey9 wrote: »
    Our jerseys tend to be the same anyway. The fact we have red sleeves over white this year is Umbro's equivalent of Dylan playing electric guitar.

If there is one positive of supporting Shels is that we don't have to put up with umbro's crap anymore.

dan1895 wrote: »
    If there is one positive of supporting Shels is that we don't have to put up with umbro's crap anymore.

every year i get excited that we switching then we sign up again.....

Hopefully this is our last umbro jersey.

I have been begging for a Peru style jersey for years red Home away with reversed colours.

93953.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

every year i get excited that we switching then we sign up again.....

Hopefully this is our last umbro jersey.

I have been begging for a Peru style jersey for years red Home away with reversed colours.

93953.JPG

The simple shirts are the best. Always been a fan of Peru's shirts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement