Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

seen as muffler did the resizing on the Harps thread....
    our jersey
    overshoot wrote: »

7MFAwY.jpg

see galway have signed Conor Winn... ye better hope he doesnt have to play! dunno how much he improved since his last spell in goals for ye! for a big man never seen a keeper with so little confidence under a high ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just in case anyone missed the promo video link in Mr.A's post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rovers signed Max Blanchard, Gareth McCaffrey and Tim Clancy.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/3856-three-new-signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

That Blanchard fella looks decent, he also must be the only player in the league with his own website.

http://maximeblanchard.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps/Derry in the brandywell abandoned at half time... Assume it was the pitch as it was meant to be terrible.
    Harps were 1-0up through a Keating penalty.

• Advertisement

State of this from his website.
    Never Say Die Attitude:

Both in Life and Football, Maxime has got a fighting spirit
    that gives him the ability to be an aggressive defender.
    His abnegation makes him very annoying to his opponents,
    as he will never give up in any situation.

I'd have said his abnegation embiggens his teammates. It's a perfectly cromulent word.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0228/683536-dundalk-v-st-pats-athletic/

League Champions Dundalk claim the first trophy of the season as they beat FAI Cup winners St. Pats 2-1 at Oriel Park. Towell and Horgan with the goals for Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Looks like another season on the bench for Kilduff. Expect the sulking to start around June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Said Shamrock Rovers would win the league this year at the beginning of the off-season and I stand by it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sligo Rovers 1- 0 Athone Town - Nielsen with the only goal.

Didn't go along as it was played out on the astro pitch and the weather was just too fecking wild to be standing around in the open. Apparently Henderson came off injured, which is a worry given his track record for prolonged lay offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Sligo Rovers 1- 0 Athone Town - Nielsen with the only goal.

Didn't go along as it was played out on the astro pitch and the weather was just too fecking wild to be standing around in the open. Apparently Henderson came off injured, which is a worry given his track record for prolonged lay offs.

Sunshine supporter!!!

Henderson came off in floods of tears, looked to be same injury as before.
    Beattie was very lively for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I wish Henderson weren't so injury prone but I know he wouldn't play for is if he wasn't. When fit he's far too good to be playing at our level.

Both himself and Peers miss a good few games though and we don't really have any backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Youths beat Bray 3-2 yesterday in what was fairly standard pre-season fare, in very blustery conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Great finish in Saturday's President Cup victory for the 2015 Player of the Year Daryl Horgan.

https://vine.co/v/O0zxD6vYq2K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Henderson out for at least 3 months, this is going to be tough at the back now.

Is there a prediction league this year?

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Henderson out for at least 3 months, this is going to be tough at the back now.

Is there a prediction league this year?

Yep.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057382125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Cheers buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Vinny Faherty and Aidan Price to Limerick. It's not Gaffney and Oji but it's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Surprised to see Vinny sign for Limerick. It would seem strange if they could afford to offer him more than GUFC considering Limerick's situation. Maybe Dunne didn't want to keep him. It's a pity, he's a bit of a cult hero in Terryland. I'd say he'll be back at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Surprised to see Vinny sign for Limerick. It would seem strange if they could afford to offer him more than GUFC considering Limerick's situation. Maybe Dunne didn't want to keep him. It's a pity, he's a bit of a cult hero in Terryland. I'd say he'll be back at some stage.

I'm 100% guessing but I presume our unpredictable owner realised just how threadbare he's cut our squad and went digging for pennies down the back of his metaphorical sofa to sign anything with a bit of experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pat's have signed Togo international, Cyril Guedje.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

monkey9 wrote: »
    The internet is telling me he doesn't exist. Where did he play beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »

Looks to be this guy

http://www.brosoccermanagement.com/players/forwards/cyril-kossi-guedje.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There's some mad YouTube clips of him. Pretty much consisting of him singing the national anthem, running and standing around. Bizarre stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'd say he played for this "Togo" team. http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2010/10/africas_soccer_impostors.html

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Buckley seems to like him been on trial a few weeks now, in reality he could be Joey Ndo or Glen Alte Larrson. When its a foreign player it could really go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Pat's as well have had some absolutely shíte random foreign players. Gints something, Pialek?

We have had some rubbish foreigners, the brazilian lads being my favourites from early 00s

Gints Fremanis and Jaroslaw Bialek are 2 from above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

They seem to be going good, there's a slight bit of conflict in a way between the Trust and the SSDG though. Since it was set up back in 2012 (when I was invloved) things have slightly slowed down as there wasn't a big push on memberships but more in the background. Lots of proactive people on the Committee now and a good core group of fans that seemed interested.

Hopefully this season it gets going again with a huge push for memberships and the whole stadium issue coming to the forefront.

What actually are the SSDG? Are they the vocal support group behind the goal or just a general group?

When FORAS had just started, there wasn't any conflict with the Official Supporters Club (soon became unofficial when TNB came along). They just naturally merged - or rather the CCOSC members just started doing whatever work they had been doing, but for FORAS. There were other groups that stayed around, but those generally became members for the trust, as well. There was very little conflict, but we were all united against one enemy and FORAS were the only show in town, so there wasn't really any time for bickering.

With the 1985 Trust now, there's not the same urgency/union against a common enemy, so that will allow people to be more skeptical. But on the other hand, it can grow steadily and slowly get a share in SFC. That's what FORAS was initially formed for, just to have a meaningful say in the club - it quickly had to become much more than that. With the 1895 Trust being an exact replica of what FORAS was, it should be in a much better position to achieve that initial goal without needing to quickly step things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    What actually are the SSDG? Are they the vocal support group behind the goal or just a general group?

When FORAS had just started, there wasn't any conflict with the Official Supporters Club (soon became unofficial when TNB came along). They just naturally merged - or rather the CCOSC members just started doing whatever work they had been doing, but for FORAS. There were other groups that stayed around, but those generally became members for the trust, as well. There was very little conflict, but we were all united against one enemy and FORAS were the only show in town, so there wasn't really any time for bickering.

With the 1985 Trust now, there's not the same urgency/union against a common enemy, so that will allow people to be more skeptical. But on the other hand, it can grow steadily and slowly get a share in SFC. That's what FORAS was initially formed for, just to have a meaningful say in the club - it quickly had to become much more than that. With the 1895 Trust being an exact replica of what FORAS was, it should be in a much better position to achieve that initial goal without needing to quickly step things up.

SSDG is the Shelbourne Supporters Development Group. Group of fans who pay upwards of a few hundred a year. They run fundraisers too, where behind ShelsTV, etc... normally get 5 figure sums to the club. Up until this season they solely ran the programme, that's now a joint venture with The 1895 Trust. The SSDG also had/have a member on the Clubs BOM.

The Trust is getting planned and it's all about joint ventures with the Trust and the SSDG. The Trust was helped at the start by Niamh O'Mahony and another chap from FORAS, in all fairness we all have our slagging matches and stuff but they were a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

SSDG is the Shelbourne Supporters Development Group. Group of fans who pay upwards of a few hundred a year. They run fundraisers too, where behind ShelsTV, etc... normally get 5 figure sums to the club. Up until this season they solely ran the programme, that's now a joint venture with The 1895 Trust. The SSDG also had/have a member on the Clubs BOM.

Ah right. Is there really a lot of difference between the trust and the SSDG, so? I'm guessing the trust has a more extensive legal framework to handle running a football club?
    The Trust is getting planned and it's all about joint ventures with the Trust and the SSDG. The Trust was helped at the start by Niamh O'Mahony and another chap from FORAS, in all fairness we all have our slagging matches and stuff but they were a great help.
    Seán Ó Conaill, presumably? Legal officer at Cork City, former BoM, has an extensive legal background. You'd be hard pressed to find a better person to have on your side for that kind of advice.

Yeah, completely agree on the last part. Rovers were a great help to us, as well, I believe. When you get down to it, we've got a lot more in common with each other than we do with other football fans in this country. When Boards did that "compatibility" thing a few weeks back, I was shocked to see three Shels fans and two Bohs fans in my top ten. :eek:

Yeah, completely agree on the last part. Rovers were a great help to us, as well, I believe. When you get down to it, we've got a lot more in common with each other than we do with other football fans in this country. When Boards did that "compatibility" thing a few weeks back, I was shocked to see three Shels fans and two Bohs fans in my top ten. :eek:

LOI fans are all weirdos, I setup another LOI teams Ustream Commentary as they were having issues with Flash and its insane use of Ram. As I left they said "thanks junkie scum" and sort of meant it :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    We have had some rubbish foreigners, the brazilian lads being my favourites from early 00s

Gints Fremanis and Jaroslaw Bialek are 2 from above.

Those two Brazilian kids we had back in about 2003 are interesting ones, I used to look them up every so often after they left to see what was happening in their careers. Luiz Gabriel Sacilotto went back to Rio Branco (SP) for a while before he made it to Italy where he has played for Perugia and Cesena among others, he's currently at Lecce.

The other one, Paulo Rogerio Nicomedes aka Paulão went back to Brazil and bounced around a number of clubs over the years, the biggest of which was probably Guarani, he also played for Gama (not Vasco da Gama) and Corinthians (AL) (not the Tevez and Mascherano Corinthians) he recently signed for a club in the Rio State top flight after a stint at ABC in the Brazilian Série B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

monkey9 wrote: »

Predicting Charlie Mbabzi like returns from "Big"/"Little" Cyril (will delete accordingly when I know what he looks like). Savage player is Cyril!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Caught this on twitter earlier

http://sportforbusiness.com/new-season-new-hope-100000-fans/

Clubs in the Premier Division have 100,000 followers on twitter between them and the article loosely refers to them as a fan base….

In response to the article I was told roughly about ten thousand may attend games over the opening weekend. One in ten will go to a game. This got me thinking

In contrast analysis of the attendances of the last round of A League soccer show an average of just under 40% of the home clubs twitter followers attending games.

Melbourne City FC v Adelaide United: 7,345
    Newcastle Jets v Central Coast Mariners: 7,991
    Western Sydney Wanderers v Sydney FC: 19,484
    Perth Glory v Brisbane Roar: 10,442
    Melbourne Victory v Wellington Phoenix: 22,096

Melbourne City have 38551 followers. 19% conversion into attendance
    Newcastle Jets have 20447 followers. 39% conversion
    Western Sydney have 55666 followers. 35% conversion
    Perth Glory have 18861 followers. 55% conversion
    Melbourne Victory have 44234 followers. 50% conversion.

On average just under 40% of the twitter fan base of these clubs attended games. Imagine if 40% of the Premier Divisions twitter fan base attended games this weekend.

Obviously Australia has a bigger population but the reason for looking at the A League is that I think they are similar in nature.

Domestic soccer is not the most popular sport in Australia or Ireland.

In relation to soccer there is a fixation on the goings on in the EPL. Granted Australians don't have equal opportunity to attend games in the EPL.

Lastly both countries best sporting facilities don't belong to soccer clubs. As a result the facilities available to A League clubs to rent are very good in Australia. If GAA facilities other than Croke Park could be opened up to other sports this could be achieved here too.

All pie in the sky stuff but was genuinely surprised to hear that LOI clubs have such an audience on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

interesting information above. However the A League is a quite a good standard, much better than the LOI i think. It is quite good to watch

wadacrack wrote: »
    interesting information above. However the A League is a quite a good standard, much better than the LOI i think. It is quite good to watch

Yup....Nope.

its akin to the MLS its not really good but its all they got. reminds of another league but hey at least they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld is back folks! Tweet your photos, thoughts, vines, links and use the hashtag to bring the word to the people. Some great stuff on there already today.

I'm sure everyone has their jersey on already :)

Some decent coverage in most newspapers today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ah right. Is there really a lot of difference between the trust and the SSDG, so? I'm guessing the trust has a more extensive legal framework to handle running a football club?

Seán Ó Conaill, presumably? Legal officer at Cork City, former BoM, has an extensive legal background. You'd be hard pressed to find a better person to have on your side for that kind of advice.

The Trust is aimed at everyone, you can sign up for €10 a year minimum iirc, whereas the SSDG you're talking a few hundred. In an ideal world both will start working closer like on the match day programme, etc... No LoI club has the fanbase to have two groups essentially competing for members.

Yup it was Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

howiya wrote: »
    Lastly both countries best sporting facilities don't belong to soccer clubs. As a result the facilities available to A League clubs to rent are very good in Australia. If GAA facilities other than Croke Park could be opened up to other sports this could be achieved here too.
    Yeah, but most GAA grounds are in a worse state than LOI grounds and they’re generally far too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

wadacrack wrote: »
    However the A League is a quite a good standard, much better than the LOI i think.
    It really isn’t – Andy Keogh is one of A League’s top scorers for jaysus sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Galway's new signing looks good

This has to be the most pathetic "stand" I have ever seen at any ground including any junior side. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if 2 fellas were holding up the 2 front poles.
    Great win for Cabinteely though, hopefully it keeps the buzz going and they can hang on to half the crowd they had tonight for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Is there seats behind it?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is there seats behind it?

No not directly behind it. Probably be better if it was dug in, but maybe that`ll come later.

11025831_829486530479150_2088985958551594466_n.jpg?oh=b78506caad499b919d2a2b8ba943c5fc&oe=557042AC&__gda__=1433476881_4e513da6fe3bf91f7a9184e1a3c3a405

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

This has to be the most pathetic "stand" I have ever seen at any ground including any junior side. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if 2 fellas were holding up the 2 front poles.
    Great win for Cabinteely though, hopefully it keeps the buzz going and they can hang on to half the crowd they had tonight for the rest of the season
    Nothing against Cabinteely but surely that ground doesn't meet the licensing requirements. Problem for the FAI is that they haven't consistently enforced the licensing regulations and judging by that picture, they ain't gonna start now. They need to give notice NOW that no more leeway will be given on the licencing regulations and enforce everything strictly from next season. THat's step one; after that they must formulate and implement a plan for the development of the league as a whole.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement