Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

compo1 wrote: »
    Nothing against Cabinteely but surely that ground doesn't meet the licensing requirements. Problem for the FAI is that they haven't consistently enforced the licensing regulations and judging by that picture, they ain't gonna start now. They need to give notice NOW that no more leeway will be given on the licencing regulations and enforce everything strictly from next season. THat's step one; after that they must formulate and implement a plan for the development of the league as a whole.
    And when they do that you'll hear arguments that they're not doing enough to encourage more teams into the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Forget about the stand and the crap pitch. They had 1400 people there on Friday night. Fair play to them I say.

If they can keep up the momentum and retain a paying crowd of half that number they can fix the pitch and build a better stand with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Oat23 wrote: »
    Forget about the stand and the crap pitch. They had 1400 people there on Friday night. Fair play to them I say.

I would take that figure with a generous handful of salt. They didn't even fill two sides of the pitch-side, or even close to it.

They really aren't too bad as far as the stand goes - yeah the thing in that picture is rubbish, but they have a bleacher all along one side of the pitch. It's a lot better than what was in Fahy's Field or The Drom. Pitch is an utter disgrace though. I understand that this comes with the territory of using a rugby ground with only a few weeks notice - but that's not a satisfactory situation by any stretch.

I would take that figure with a generous handful of salt. They didn't even fill two sides of the pitch-side, or even close to it.

They really aren't too bad as far as the stand goes - yeah the thing in that picture is rubbish, but they have a bleacher all along one side of the pitch. It's a lot better than what was in Fahy's Field or The Drom. Pitch is an utter disgrace though. I understand that this comes with the territory of using a rugby ground with only a few weeks notice - but that's not a satisfactory situation by any stretch.

Do home teams not pay a % of the gate to away teams in the 1st D? Their lie would net you more money. The newbies are doing it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Do home teams not pay a % of the gate to away teams in the 1st D? Their lie would net you more money. The newbies are doing it wrong.

The figure released publicly may not be used for any other purpose - for example, I know some clubs include all season tickets bought for their attendance - regardless of whether those people actually arrived. Similarly, if they gave away tickets to schoolboys/members, they would probably include that in the attendance regardless of whether they actually arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

compo1 wrote: »
    Nothing against Cabinteely but surely that ground doesn't meet the licensing requirements. Problem for the FAI is that they haven't consistently enforced the licensing regulations and judging by that picture, they ain't gonna start now. They need to give notice NOW that no more leeway will be given on the licencing regulations and enforce everything strictly from next season. THat's step one; after that they must formulate and implement a plan for the development of the league as a whole.
    CSF wrote: »
    And when they do that you'll hear arguments that they're not doing enough to encourage more teams into the league.

In an ideal world compo1 I would agree with you. But CSF is correct too.
    The problem with the first division is it doesn't know whether its an amateur league or part time league. It doesn't have a constructive purpose only to severely punish any team misfortunate enough to be relegated to it.

Id also agree with you that there has to be a plan for the league.
    I believe the best course of action would be to have a regionalised FD.
    Then a provincial league underneath that. That would make the FD the best amateur league in the country. Its not even that right now.

Cabinteely put together a senior side with a months notice and managed to defeat a side that pushed for a play off place last season. Also, If you see the big junior sides in the FAI cup against the FD sides, the gap is marginal at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Also, If you see the big junior sides in the FAI cup against the FD sides, the gap is marginal at best.
    Ah come on, Avondale got a respectable home draw against Harps last year but nobody else came close to winning a game. There have been exceptions in previous years, but junior clubs only ever progress to later rounds by playing other junior clubs. The gap between junior clubs and FD teams is very big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Away teams only get a cut from cup games and it is a regular occurrence for the away team to send an official in to the ticket booth with a 'clicker' to count paying supporters. Home attendance figures should never be trusted for league games

My estimation would be around 800 there on Friday and, result aside, I enjoyed the evening. Nice people, stewards, banter etc and I think they will be a positive addition to the league. However, that pitch needs sorting before we know if their team can play at 1st division standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork City were lucky boys to get away with the point from Sligo Saturday night. Conditions were poor but at least Sligo tried to play a bit of ball on the deck, they'll do really well this season, could be the surprise package. Looks like its the same as last year for City, lump it up to Mark O'Sullivan and hope for the best. They only started playing ball after going 1 down, if we had played like we did after losing the goal we would have won comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ah come on, Avondale got a respectable home draw against Harps last year but nobody else came close to winning a game. There have been exceptions in previous years, but junior clubs only ever progress to later rounds by playing other junior clubs. The gap between junior clubs and FD teams is very big.
    they also got absolutely hockeyed in the return game...
    would have been the equivalent of us and pats after it!

when you consider Avondale won the last 4 intermediate cups theyre about as good as it gets after the LOI

overshoot wrote: »
    they also got absolutely hockeyed in the return game...
    would have been the equivalent of us and pats after it!
    when you consider Avondale won the last 4 intermediate cups theyre about as good as it gets after the LOI

They also had to do a 10 hour round trip. SO the 4-0 loss can certainly be explained. They are an amateur intermediate club and a lot of lads on that team probably have full time jobs so going up there involved taking time off work etc. They also have little to no experience of planning trips like that. Put them, Malahide, Sherriff etc in the FD and they would more than hold their own, particularly at home.
    The FD is operating at a higher level than the LSL or whatever. But my opinion is its not an awful lot higher. Certainly nothing compared to say the league and non league gap in England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Over a season, the LOI is streets ahead, one odd result here and there in a cup doesn't reflect it.

Perhaps if the likes of Avondale etc got into the LOI they'd adapt by then getting FD players, but they'd need a better squad who don't have to ask for time off - that alone is a level above what they are at. Having to travel is part of the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

They also had to do a 10 hour round trip. SO the 4-0 loss can certainly be explained. They are an amateur intermediate club and a lot of lads on that team probably have full time jobs so going up there involved taking time off work etc. They also have little to no experience of planning trips like that. Put them, Malahide, Sherriff etc in the FD and they would more than hold their own, particularly at home.
    The FD is operating at a higher level than the LSL or whatever. But my opinion is its not an awful lot higher. Certainly nothing compared to say the league and non league gap in England.

First Division players have full time jobs too. They might do OK in the First Division but they'd probably have to get rid of all the players who can't commit to two games a week and long trips, and probably replace them with the same (ie better) players Harps are competing for, so it's kind of a useless thing to predict.

First Division players have full time jobs too. They might do OK in the First Division but they'd probably have to get rid of all the players who can't commit to two games a week and long trips, and probably replace them with the same (ie better) players Harps are competing for, so it's kind of a useless thing to predict.

Fair enough. Point I was making is there isn't a huge difference in standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Premier

Shamrock Rovers - St. Patrick's Athletic

Dundalk - Longford Town

Sligo Rovers - Cork Cty

Galway United - Derry City

Bray Wanderers - Drogheda United

Limerick - Bohemians

Total

Average

First

Cabinteely FC - Wexford Youths

Shelbourne - Finn Harps

Waterford United - Athlone Town

Cobh Ramblers - UCD
    300 (estimate)

Total

Average

Total Overall

Average Overall

• Advertisement

Premier

Shamrock Rovers - St. Patrick's Athletic

Dundalk - Longford Town

Sligo Rovers - Cork Cty

Galway United - Derry City

Bray Wanderers - Drogheda United

Limerick - Bohemians

Total

Average

First

Cabinteely FC - Wexford Youths

Shelbourne - Finn Harps

Waterford United - Athlone Town

Cobh Ramblers - UCD
    300 (estimate)

Total

Average

Total Overall

Average Overall

Some great figures there particularly considering most games were played in terrible conditions. Hopefully we can keep something close to that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Fair enough. Point I was making is there isn't a huge difference in standard.

And in the week before the draw match I'm pretty sure we made away trips to Cobh and galway... And yep, pretty much all our players have jobs.
    McHugh has a council job for example, set for life, why he didn't leave it for a few years of full time loi football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

UCD 0-1 Cabinteely. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

In general I thought there was a bigger buzz than usual in the build up to the opening weekend. The attendance figures seem to bear that out.

In general I thought there was a bigger buzz than usual in the build up to the opening weekend. The attendance figures seem to bear that out.

Hopefully its the tightest league ever with about 6 points dividing the top 4. Keep those figures up. That would be beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The Galway United crowds will all be 1000-1500 until the inevitable game we need to win at the end of the season to stay up. There'll be 2000-2500 at that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stephen Kenny looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than on Soccer Republic right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

That_Guy wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than on Soccer Republic right now.

Thinking that myself. Looks very awkward being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Wouldn't we all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ollaetta wrote: »
    Thinking that myself. Looks very awkward being interviewed.
    wouldnt u with peter collins as company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Not as awkward as Duff.

Sake... Just show some more highlights. :mad:

Score the most goals, top of the league after week 1 and we still get put on last.... Bloody hell Soccer Republic.

That_Guy wrote: »

Haha ya it was cringy stuff watching him squirm.
    I don't think its a great idea having league managers on. The other pundits that are on cant really give their views when the manager is sitting beside them.
    It was alright tonight because Dundalk played well and probably would have won more comfortably only for the weather and Longford being full of guts first game of the season.
    But next week Caulfield is on! If they play as badly as they did in Sligo are the pundits going to be able to give them a proper slating with John Caulfield after traveling up from Cork to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Haha ya it was cringy stuff watching him squirm.
    I don't think its a great idea having league managers on. The other pundits that are on cant really give their views when the manager is sitting beside them.
    It was alright tonight because Dundalk played well and probably would have won more comfortably only for the weather and Longford being full of guts first game of the season.
    But next week Caulfield is on! If they play as badly as they did in Sligo are the pundits going to be able to give them a proper slating with John Caulfield after traveling up from Cork to be there.

or praise them if we play well. The weather was also pretty bad in Sligo too, worth mentioning that if other teams are gonna get excuses for not performing because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Are we really going to see Duffer in the LOI come mid Summer?, if so where's he likely to end up? Rovers maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Corholio wrote: »
    or praise them if we play well. The weather was also pretty bad in Sligo too, worth mentioning that if other teams are gonna get excuses for not performing because of it.

It was just as bad for both teams. I was at the game and as a City fan I'm not going to put on the blinkers and try and come up with excuses, we were shocking, worse than shocking even, you wouldn't tell a schoolboy team to play like we did Saturday night. I can only hope that it was 1st night nerves setting out to get the draw and that we'll play some nice ball against Limerick on Friday. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

mattb74 wrote: »
    Are we really going to see Duffer in the LOI come mid Summer?, if so where's he likely to end up? Rovers maybe?

I remember him saying he wanted to play for Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

mattb74 wrote: »

Far cheaper players out there than a 36 year old walking injury list who may or may not put a few more punters on the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Doubt Duffer will cost much, he will be interested in getting his badges more than anything and being close to home. I believe he invested well as a player and didn't spend much.

Pats or Shams will probably sign him.

He'd never go to Dundalk because of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Doubt Duffer will cost much, he will be interested in getting his badges more than anything and being close to home. I believe he invested well as a player and didn't spend much.

Dundalk and Pats should get away with a 2k a week offer then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I would be surprised if he didn't sign with Bray to be honest. He mentioned them previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wouldnt suit us not dirty enough but would win us a few frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

We already have Horgan who actually looks more like Duff than Duff himself so no need for us to go after him.

Daryl-Horgan-S-Rovers-April-14-293x170.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I would be surprised if he didn't sign with Bray to be honest. He mentioned them previously.

He won't go to Bray with Devo gone IMO

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

uch wrote: »
    He won't go to Bray with Devo gone IMO
    At the same time he knew Devlin wouldnt be there forever. PLus its the closest ground to his gaff!

I was watching this last night and id a big smile on my face.
    This is going to be great for the league. When he comes back its going to raise the profile of the league. At the very least the bar stoolers will talk about Duffer playing league of Ireland.
    I don't think it really matter where he ends up. He also took good care of himself and that's why he was a regular starter in the premier league into his mid thirties.
    From a playing point of view whatever about his pace he still has the skills to play in a midfield three either sitting in behind them or behind a striker.
    His current injury is muscle related (ruptured a tendon in his calf and damaged ankle ligaments). Fairly common injuries for players the wrong side of 35. But he`ll be travelling Oz from now until April/May, then come home and sign for someone in June.
    Just in time to help a club in Europe. That's a solid 3/4 months for him to get match fit.
    I`d travel to watch the man play even if he had an eye patch and wooden leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

EA Sports Cup kicks off tonight with a number of teams receiving a bye into Round 2. Here's what's kicking off now.

Bohs vs Athlone
    Sligo vs Mayo League
    Drogheda vs Shels
    Cobh R vs Limerick
    Crumlin Utd vs Bray Wanderers
    Wexford Youths vs UCC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs 2 up against Athlone, Griffen with both. Could be a very important player for us this season if he keeps his head down.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats sign Morgan Langley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Langley_%28soccer%29

As usual could be another Ndo or Glen Atle Larsson

The highlights video is worth watching just to see soccer being played on an American football pitch!

I wouldn't be too optimistic about this guy. He was a third tier player in America. As you can see by the video the standard there makes LOI look like La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

EA Sports Cup 1st Round Full Results

Bohemians 3 v 0 Athlone Town
    Drogheda 0 v 1 Shelbourne
    Sligo Rvs 8 v 0 Mayo League
    Crumlin Utd 4 v 2 Bray Wanderers
    Wexford Youths 1 v UCC 2
    UCD 0 v 1 Cabinteely
    Galway Utd 3 v 2 Finn Harps
    Cobh Ramblers 3 v 2 Limerick (Extra time being played)

Byes: Shamrock Rovers,Cork City, St. Pat's, Derry City, Cockhill Celtic, Longford Town, Dundalk, Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Cobh 3 - 2 Limerick FULL TIME

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement