Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham vs Manchester United Match Thread 8/2/15 k/o 16.15 Sky. Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Liam O wrote: »
    If he was heading that way he could have easily pulled out. Was too far away for that kind of contact. Deserved to walk obviously but no more than that.

Think It was more just a tired tackle and tried to take him out regardless. If it was the 60th minute he wouldn't do it

Looking like he will rival Carroll and Torres in the biggest flop of all time competition

Considering the price paid, it would probably be worse.

Didn't realise he had a burgarly recently until I heard it on the radio today. I'd imagine all that stuff isn't helping

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fun 1-1. Jarvis and Falcao really need to take long hard looks in the mirror (can be a different mirror, not too fussy).

Falcao has been so invisible that even if he was an inch away from that mirror there would be no reflection. It's a miracle he always gets his hair so lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I count 12 thanks from the thank brigade

Maybe they're the anti-knobend brigade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liam O wrote: »
    Hah, that Shaw tackle was the real winner for the Pool lads.

Not really as Liverpool would have gone behind West Ham if they had of won, so a draw suited Liverpool after yesterday game where they lost no ground on United and still stayed ahead of West Ham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm not sure how Van Gaal goes about addressing the problems on that squad. The club hierarchy wanted the Van Persie/Rooney partnership broken up due to a lack of dynamism so they got Falcao and the attack is less dynamic now than it's ever been. The defense remains susceptible but it's Van Gaal's approach to chasing a game that's telling. Stick Fellaini on and, to steal a phrase, get it in the mixer, the great irony is that the previous incumbent, David Moyes, was the master of that particular brand of football. This still looks like a side hungover post-Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lvg is looking more and more like a spoofer every week

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ozil-esque.

If United stick with Van Gaal's long ball philosophy they might creep into the top 4 at the end of the season, but you'd be expecting more given his reputation and the amount he's spent.

I still find it strange seeing Utd play a lot of route 1 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't realise he had a burgarly recently until I heard it on the radio today. I'd imagine all that stuff isn't helping
    Same here. Didn't hear about it until today.

He was in the house at the time with his wife and kid. His wife refuses to go back.

Can't be an easy time for him, footballers are human too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

ricero wrote: »
    Lvg is looking more and more like a spoofer every week

Ha ha there all spoofers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nice result.

Di Maria looks a very poor piece of business it must be said

They'll be glad Falcao is only on loan as well, I'd say.

Nib wrote: »
    Same here. Didn't hear about it until today.

He was in the house at the time with his wife and kid. His wife refuses to go back.

Can't be an easy time for him, footballers are human too.

It could probably excuse today's game but overall he's been very average.

LVG not getting the best out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm not sure he actually wanted to move to Manchester tbh. Not sure our system helps him either. Teams play a high line because they know Falcao and RVP aren't stretching the defence. Means he can't run at players in the middle due to congestion

I'm not sure how Van Gaal goes about addressing the problems on that squad. The club hierarchy wanted the Van Persie/Rooney partnership broken up due to a lack of dynamism so they got Falcao and the attack is less dynamic now than it's ever been. The defense remains susceptible but it's Van Gaal's approach to chasing a game that's telling. Stick Fellaini on and, to steal a phrase, get it in the mixer, the great irony is that the previous incumbent, David Moyes, was the master of that particular brand of football. This still looks like a side hungover post-Ferguson.

Having a Fellaini on the pitch is the right decision against a Sam Allardyce team. He just should have been on at the start.

I remember Mourinho used to put Huth or Jarosik up top in his first stint at Chelsea if he was chasing against a team with big players.

• rarnes1 wrote: »

I can agree that he's been so poor of late but can't agree that he's bad business.

He's been badly managed and is playing in the wrong poistions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Poor performance really but at least they rebounded to get a point. It shows there is character there albeit that some of the players are in poor form.

I think LVG realised that they were not going to be able to play around West Ham today and decided that long ball to Fellaini was the best chance of getting something out of it. For that he deserves credit but there are still question marks about how he is setting up his teams.

I don't agree with Rooney playing further back, be it in midfield or out wide. For me, he should be playing up top instead of RVP. IF LVG does not agree, he should just drop him rather than trying to make him something he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I come in peace.....

Are United a long ball team now? Or do I just tend to watch the part of the games where its launched into Fellaini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can see him coming good too tbh

• naughtb4 wrote: »
    I come in peace.....

Are United a long ball team now?

Yes we are

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I come in peace.....

Are United a long ball team now?

Yeah mate. Stoke Mk II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah mate. Stoke Mk II

Its frustrating to see, some amazing players there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    "long ball United" ...Big Sam.

I thought that was ironic considering West Ham's main tactic was to get it long and down the channels all day. Archetypal English style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Di Maria is playing very poor & pulling out of challenges. Man United are a very poor team to watch but get results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

darced wrote: »

I was hoping he would go with "19th Century football" just for Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,852 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Carragher is completly unlistenable as a pundit, not just his accent either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As far as I'm concerned only one from Rooney RVP and Falcao should be playing and if Rooney is that one he should be the focal point of the attack, the 3 behind the 1 up top should be Mata Herrera and Di Maria with Blind and Carrick behind them. We are a mess at the moment, Falcao obviously shouldn't be signed and RVP and Rooney should be told you guys are going to be rotated next season. For next season we need an injection of pace in the attack, players like Bale, Griezmann, Reus , Sanchez and Robben flanking the sole striker. I said it a few days ago that I think Di-Maria was a waste of money and isn't worth 60m at all, perhaps half that but I don't rate him as highly as the players I mentioned because he simply doesn't score enough goals, he also isn't a central midfielder. For next season we need to either cut or losses on Herrera or start playing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Very happy with that result. Not a great game of ball but that first goal was excellent. Jenkinson looks decent for West Ham. Blind continues to play mid instead of left back where I think he's better, maybe when Shaw is out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Strumms wrote: »
    Carragher is completly unlistenable as a pundit, not just his accent either.
    He's right in what he is saying. RVP & Falcao are playing on reputation rather than there performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Di Maria May be having personal issues at the minute but he shouldn't be pulling out of tackles , in fact he didn't even bother going In for the 50/50's on at least 3 occasions, one completely blatant right after they scored against Song. Was fuming at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Rooney also pulled out of a few tackles in the first half that i spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Having a Fellaini on the pitch is the right decision against a Sam Allardyce team. He just should have been on at the start.

I remember Mourinho used to put Huth or Jarosik up top in his first stint at Chelsea if he was chasing against a team with big players.

Is it? A directionless first half followed by a route one last 20 minutes. Given the sum of money spent on this squad and the type of players brought in (Mata, Di Maria, Falcao) Im amazed that hoofball to Fellaini is so readily accepted.

And Chelsea are often derided as a negative side, though I would say that the football produced by Mourinho this season has been far more progressive than anything Man Utd have put together this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cant see united in the CL spots at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Questioning the quality of Di Maria is completely idiotic

• Advertisement

Not questioning his form for Utd thus far would probably be too

Yet again some of us agree with what your saying
    Not sure why your constantly trying to repeat the point though

Yet again some of us agree with what your saying
    Not sure why your constantly trying to repeat the point though

:confused:

I was replying to someone else. Afaik we can make a similar point more than once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

:confused:

I was replying to someone else. Afaik we can make a similar point more than once

You're in every match thread just stalking for an opportunity to make some subtle dig

chupacabra wrote: »
    You're in every match thread just stalking for an opportunity to make some subtle dig

That's not true.

Look back a few pages and plenty have said Di Maria isn't working so far at Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Di Maria is world class, anyone with a bit of cop on should be aware of that. He is trying to fit into a team that just isn't functioning properly, not to mention being played out of position half the time.

Nice result.

Di Maria looks a very poor piece of business it must be said

You pretty much said the same thing 4 times now about Di Maria

And yet alot of us have agreed you the first time around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I can agree that he's been so poor of late but can't agree that he's bad business.

He's been badly managed and is playing in the wrong poistions

Do you think you can say he's been badly managed?
    Maybe so , but some of the poor touches and bad decisions have to be put down to the player

You pretty much said the same thing 4 times now about Di Maria

And yet alot of us have agreed you the first time around

All completely valid points.

• Do you think you can say he's been badly managed?
    Maybe so , but some of the poor touches and bad decisions have to be put down to the player

Look back through the thread and some of the last couple of match threads if you want, I have called him out so many times for poor decisions such as bad crosses etc...

But still he's being played in the wrong areas which is not helping,
    He is world class and proved this earlier in the season when he was actually played in the correct areas, like winger or AM
    And for his previous seasons

All completely valid points.

Repetition IMO

Repetition IMO

So what? Plenty of posters have repetition in threads. I've been posting here plenty of years and never been accused of this before. (You have repeated the same point now 3 times too btw!!)

I'm making points that other people have made (plenty have made far stronger ones than mine too). I fully stand behind them.

He has been poor
    Van Gaal isn't using him correctly
    Currently it's looking like a poor deal for all concerned.

Either Van Gaal needs to play him correctly or just not play him at all. I'd say the same about a few others too, Rooney and Falcao being two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

chupacabra wrote: »

As opposed to the person who just replied to him who goes straight into every Liverpool match thread to celebrate when they don't win? Subtlety is the difference I suppose...

• fullstop wrote: »
    As opposed to the person who just replied to him who goes straight into every Liverpool match thread to celebrate when they don't win? Subtlety is the difference I suppose...

You should change your name to nonstop IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well done M!Ck^
    They're even following you into other threads to call you out now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement