Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CPU fan making noise

Options
  • 07-02-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi guys, on Thursday I got someone to fit a CM Hyper 212 EVO on a 2 week old build. I realise I could have done it myself but I didn't want to go messing to be honest. Anyway, I dropped the pc down to an upgrade and repair business.

When I collected it all was well and for the whole day it was fine but Friday it started making this ticking noise on and off every couple of hours, like a wire was getting pulled in. Every time I take the case side off to look it stops but I did narrow it down to the new fan on the EVO and there is nothing getting caught in it however it is facing the wrong way to what I was expecting (fan to exhaust fan). All temps are good so it's not making any difference but it is very annoying when it happens.

Does it sound like there a bearing gone already or is this possibly something I can fix?
    Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you reckon it's the fan on the EVO, unplug the CPU fan header and see if the noise is still there. The CPU won't overheat because it'll still get very good passive cooling from the heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

It's quiet at the moment but I'll do it as soon as it starts making the noise, thank you. I got it from hardwareversand, do they replace it or do I have to contact cooler master if it is that fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You could run into a very annoying problem where you're asked to return the entire unit rather than just getting a replacement fan... once you include shipping costs etc.... you'd nearly be down on money. If it is the fan I'd sooner contact Coolermaster directly. If that doesn't work I'd be just buying a new 120mm fan and using that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Thanks for that information. The noise started up so I plugged out the fan, turns out it's not the cooler. There is a quiet ticking from the exhaust fan which I can hear sitting beside it but the louder noise I recorded came from the top fan. So now I have two fans making noise on a new case.

Advertisement