Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Zoo

Options
  • 07-02-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm currently planning for a group visit to Dublin Zoo but as I've never been there before I was wondering if anyone here could help.

We were planning on a picnic, are you allowed a BBQ or just a normal picnic?

Is there enough room for 30+ people at one spot?

I know I'll have additional questions but that's all I can think of for now.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't think bbq are allowed.

There's a big green near the petting farm where your group could have a picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slharris28

Has anyone ever held an event at Dublin zoo (not wedding or birthday) for approximately 40 people (children and adults)

What was it like?

Approximate cost?

Would you ever do it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mode note: Hi slharris28, I've moved your second post to this thread as it makes more sense to keep your questions on the one thread and there's no real need for a second one.

Here's a link to the Dublin Zoo events info page: http://www.dublinzoo.ie/35/Hold-an-event.aspx

According to that page they do allow barbecues and picnics. There's an info pack for birthdays which should be of some help for other events here: Birthday_Package_Frequently_Asked_Questions.doc. Your best course of action is to email them or give them a call: Events Team (01) 474 8997 or email events@dublinzoo.ie

I can't find any reviews for their events, but here's some general feedback http://www.yelp.ie/biz/dublin-zoo-dublin and at a guess and based on the price for birthdays, I'd say you are looking at a cost of around €20 per head.

hth

sorry i thought since i changed it from group visit to event, it would be a different post. The birthday venue/food etc would not suit at all, so i guess the cost would be more. I was just hoping that someone here would be able to help, hopefully that's still the case.

I have sent an email to the zoo for the information but i was wanting a personal view as well x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My reading of BBQ is that they cater at the functions listed. Could be wrong.
    Never seen anyone have a BBQ in all the years I've gone to the zoo.

Be aware that you if the weather is cold, the animals will be inside.
    Also the seals and flamingos are gone duecto work being done in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

My reading of BBQ is that they cater at the functions listed. Could be wrong.
    Never seen anyone have a BBQ in all the years I've gone to the zoo.

Be aware that you if the weather is cold, the animals will be inside.
    Also the seals and flamingos are gone duecto work being done in the area.

Unlikely the animals will be inside really. I've been many times in the freezing cold (as recently as a few weeks ago) and almost all the animals were still outside.

Oh, and not a big deal but it's the sea lions that are gone, not seals - they didn't have any seals in the first place :)

Konata wrote: »
    Unlikely the animals will be inside really. I've been many times in the freezing cold (as recently as a few weeks ago) and almost all the animals were still outside.

Oh, and not a big deal but it's the sea lions that are gone, not seals - they didn't have any seals in the first place :)

I was up there last week and not much out. All the primates were indoors. As well as most of the smaller animals in the African planes. Even the rhinos were sheltering from the wind.

Your being pedantic over the seal lions. Go do something useful :):)

Thank you all for the replies x

Received an email back, hopefully the following information will help someone else when there looking x

Special Family Occasions @ Dublin Zoo

Celebrate that special family occasion at Ireland’s favourite family attraction, Dublin Zoo. Our special fun day package will ensure you and your nearest and dearest will have a day to remember.

€35.50 per adult €20 per child over 3

Entry to Dublin Zoo

Room Hire of Haughton House (4 hours within Dublin Zoo opening hours)

Delicious 2 Course Buffet Lunch

Selection of juices & water

Tea & Coffee course is an additional €2.20pp

Optional Extras

Goody Bags for Guests €5.00 per bag

Extra Entertainment i.e. face painter From €120.00

Dublin Zoo Animal Adoptions as memento for guests From €40.00

Dublin Zoo Beastly Gifts as memento for guests From €8.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Your being pedantic over the seal lions. Go do something useful :):)

1. You're
    2. Your ignorance is your own problem, two completely different species. I think being able to read a sign that says SEA LION is very useful tbh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Quit the bickering over pedantry, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 AnettKarina

Its very nice place to visit!i will go this summer with my kids :)

Is there anybody reading this forum who is planning a trip to Dublin Zoo in the next two weeks? I have a strange request. I need to know for absolute certain if there are junglefowl, guinea fowl, any chicken related type bird (not domestic ones) walking around the aviary (Roberts House). Thanks in advance! (crosses fingers)

PS yeah I rang the zoo, they didn't actually know at reception but they said they'd get the bird keeper to call me... fingers crossed for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ohhhh I don't think so... last time I was there was June though.

Is there anybody reading this forum who is planning a trip to Dublin Zoo in the next two weeks? I have a strange request. I need to know for absolute certain if there are junglefowl, guinea fowl, any chicken related type bird (not domestic ones) walking around the aviary (Roberts House). Thanks in advance! (crosses fingers)

PS yeah I rang the zoo, they didn't actually know at reception but they said they'd get the bird keeper to call me... fingers crossed for that too.

There are birds loose in the Aviary but they tend to stay in the shrubbery behind the barrier.
    not sure what type though

January wrote: »
    Ohhhh I don't think so... last time I was there was June though.

Yeah I'm fretting they might not have them anymore! If they have red junglefowl then my assignment (40% of that module!) is pretty much already written... if not, then I have to start from scratch!

There are birds loose in the Aviary but they tend to stay in the shrubbery behind the barrier.
    not sure what type though

They do have some flightless peacock type bird wandering free in there last time I was there.... a red junglefowl looks pretty much like a very beautiful chicken... wonder if you saw any of those!!

On the off chance anyone ever does need a red junglefowl fix, I can confirm there is one in Roberts House! He's pretty busy too, which is great because I have to watch him for four hours.

First time seeing the new sealion and flamingo enclosures too! They're brilliant! Well worth a look if you haven't been recently!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

are they really noisy and loud? there was a loud red fowl type in Roberts house when I was there in October

John Mason wrote: »
    are they really noisy and loud? there was a loud red fowl type in Roberts house when I was there in October

It's basically a chicken. Looks like one, sounds like one. There's only the one there.

Advertisement