Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar lessons in Dublin

Options
  • 07-02-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I am a casual guitar player(following Youtube tutorials) who probably needs a lot of fixing as regards techniques and improving my overall ability. Has anyone on boards got advice as to a good guitar teacher in Dublin who is not going to screw me as regards the fee?
    I'm aware that the more you pay the better the tuition would be but after researching on Google some of the fees seem excessive. I would be looking for the City centre or Dublin 8, 6/6W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If by 'screw' you mean 'charge a fair professional rate based on qualifications and experience', then no. Can't help. You'll get Gumtree chancers who'll charge a tenner a lesson. They'll be a page ahead of you in the book. They'll also have their own shortcomings, and will be happy to pass these on to you at a tenner an hour.

You should be looking at a rate of +/- €20 per half hour lesson. Most under- or non-qualified teachers charging cheap rates are overcharging too. By an amount equal to their hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

endacl wrote: »
    If by 'screw' you mean 'charge a fair professional rate based on qualifications and experience', then no. Can't help. You'll get Gumtree chancers who'll charge a tenner a lesson. They'll be a page ahead of you in the book. They'll also have their own shortcomings, and will be happy to pass these on to you at a tenner an hour.

You should be looking at a rate of +/- €20 per half hour lesson. Most under- or non-qualified teachers charging cheap rates are overcharging too. By an amount equal to their hourly rate.

I'm sorry maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'screw'. I guess I was just trying to determine what the usual going rate would be for an hour long lesson. Some that I saw were charging €60 for an hour which seemed a bit much. My budget would be €30 to €40 for an hour perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sticksman wrote: »
    I'm sorry maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'screw'. I guess I was just trying to determine what the usual going rate would be for an hour long lesson. Some that I saw were charging €60 for an hour which seemed a bit much. My budget would be €30 to €40 for an hour perhaps.

That sounds reasonable. You shouldn't have an issue there. I'd approach individuals directly though, rather than a private music school. A reasonable proportion if the fee should go directly to the teacher. I'm aware of a couple of schools charging c.€40ph for lessons, and paying their teachers €12.

What style are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

Hey I used Derek long school of guitar just near bushy park a while ago for about a year and is recommend him . It was 150€ for 10 x 45 min lessons and it was in his house.
    Excellent guitarist and very nice man

I'm unsure of his number now as I don't live around the area anymore but a quick google search should be all that's required

endacl wrote: »
    That sounds reasonable. You shouldn't have an issue there. I'd approach individuals directly though, rather than a private music school. A reasonable proportion if the fee should go directly to the teacher. I'm aware of a couple of schools charging c.€40ph for lessons, and paying their teachers €12.

What style are you thinking of?

Thanks for your help.

As regards style, I just want to improve my playing in general. I am weak at bar chords and chords that require use of all 4 fingers overall. I am using an acoustic guitar and mainly practice Irish ballads and the usual Coldplay, Oasis and the Eagles kind of stuff. So I guess I want to get advice also regards timing and strumming to play rhythm guitar.

• Advertisement

kelledy wrote: »
    Hey I used Derek long school of guitar just near bushy park a while ago for about a year and is recommend him . It was 150€ for 10 x 45 min lessons and it was in his house.
    Excellent guitarist and very nice man

I'm unsure of his number now as I don't live around the area anymore but a quick google search should be all that's required

Thanks will check him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Check out the notice boards in the Royal Irish Academy of Music for some decent tutors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Keep trying those bar chords man! you probably feel like you'll never be able to play them comfortably but you will!

Advertisement