Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or New Build

Options
  • 07-02-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking for advice on whether to upgrade in increments or start a fresh? The PC I have at the moment looks as follows.

Case - Antec P180
    MOBO - ASRock H61M (Socket 1155)
    RAM - 4gb of 1600mhz (2x2gb)
    PSU - OCZ 550W ZS Series
    Processor - G840 2.8GHZ Intel 1155
    GPU - 7850 1GB

I was thinking about picking up a second hand 1155 faster processor but they are thin on the ground. Then swap out for more ram and maybe a new GPU.

Or am I just better off starting a fresh with a new motherboard altogether? Budget is tight and prices on processors seems strong given how long they are available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Sell the old system and build yourself a nice new one..

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

satguy wrote: »
    Sell the old system and build yourself a nice new one..

I doubt I'd get anything for it really? The case and the psu are the only items worth keeping really I think. (And even the psu is just about okay for newer cards not in sli)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The worst bottleneck there is the G840 by far. CEX sell S1155 processors, they have some mid-range i5's for about 90 (think the i5-2400), and quality i7's like the i7-2600 for 150, which isn't the end of the world for the 1155 platform.

Personally would still stick with 1155, no need to change, and the 7850's still an OK card for most games.

The worst bottleneck there is the G840 by far. CEX sell S1155 processors, they have some mid-range i5's for about 90 (think the i5-2400), and quality i7's like the i7-2600 for 150, which isn't the end of the world for the 1155 platform.

Personally would still stick with 1155, no need to change, and the 7850's still an OK card for most games.

Thanks TerrorFirmer. Ya I know the processor is the worst link by far.

Most games issues I have is with the increasing need for quad core and memory.

Hadn't though of cex or those kind of stores. Might head into town today and check them out

Just checked CES. They have an 1155 i7 2600 3.4ghz for 150.

Might pick that one up.

• Advertisement

Just checked CES. They have an 1155 i7 2600 3.4ghz for 150.

Might pick that one up.

And installed already! Thanks for the CEX recommendation. 12th warranty too which is great for second hand parts.

Advertisement