Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at buying a house in Wyattville, any advice?

Options
  • 07-02-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    We're looking at buying a house in Wyattville near Loughlinstown/Ballybrack, can anyone advise us as to what the area is like? Is it family-friendly? What are the nearby facilities like parks and playgournds like? What about Public transport?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

It's not the one at the corner right beside the school, by any chance?...It's an ok area, somewhat marred by students from the school in the estate hanging around having a smoke as they can't smoke on the school grounds. If the house is away from the school, all the better as you won't have this problem. Mix of families and one road with families of all the one "minority" religion...Not saying this has any bearing at all on anything....just giving you information. It's in Ballybrack. If you're from the area you know all about it. If you're new to the area that's another story....Just wouldn't advise buying the house beside the school as you will spend your time out picking up teenager's rubbish....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ElizKenny

mar12345 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We're looking at buying a house in Wyattville near Loughlinstown/Ballybrack, can anyone advise us as to what the area is like? Is it family-friendly? What are the nearby facilities like parks and playgournds like? What about Public transport?
    Thank you!

I wouldnt.
    Very rough area.
    Im sure youll have people that live there on to defend the place but my advice would be to go for a walk around the area some night around 9 or 10pm when the weather is good.
    After that walk you'll know if you want to be walking home through there or bringing your kids up there.
    You should do this in any area you are thinking of buying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭foxhill

Well, My understanding was that all south Dublin area is nice and hence best sought area. but looking here at other replies and recently heard a cricket pitch/ground was burned down in Cabinteely area, does not give a nice picture. Friend of mine lives near Cherrywood/Tullyvale, He said area is fine. which I suppose may not b relevant here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

foxhill wrote: »
    Well, My understanding was that all south Dublin area is nice and hence best sought area. but looking here at other replies and recently heard a cricket pitch/ground was burned down in Cabinteely area, does not give a nice picture. Friend of mine lives near Cherrywood/Tullyvale, He said area is fine. which I suppose may not b relevant here.

Depending on the actual location it may or may not be fine. Ballybrack is very mixed, there are some rough patches, some fine roads and towards Killiney some fairly posh areas too. Wyattville/Loughlinstown would be on the grim side yeah. I live nearby, you can PM me if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Well, My understanding was that all south Dublin area is nice and hence best sought area...

Its a generalisation, which is not entirely true, in the same way as not all of the Northside of the city is bad, as there are plenty of very nice neighbourhoods on the Northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mar12345

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I think I need to research a little bit more!
    Maybe as suggested a little trip there in the evening, just to check. I don't mind a mixed area at all, but I don't want to deal with anti-social behaviour...
    The estate itself seemed nice, and well kept, and the house we're looking at is not what I would call cheap, so I was very hopeful! (Great advice on the house near the school, pandoraj09! I never thought of that!)

mar12345 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the feedback, I think I need to research a little bit more!
    Maybe as suggested a little trip there in the evening, just to check. I don't mind a mixed area at all, but I don't want to deal with anti-social behaviour...
    The estate itself seemed nice, and well kept, and the house we're looking at is not what I would call cheap, so I was very hopeful! (Great advice on the house near the school, pandoraj09! I never thought of that!)

You can ask anyone living in that area and they will give you the addresses of the houses that the local drug dealers live in. There are lots of them.
    A fair few years ago, when I lived there the chip shop was closed for a while because one of the locals got annoyed at the owner and went home, got a hatchet and went back and actually chopped the owners hand clean off on the counter.

And thats only one example. What about every couple of months when the local youths go on the rampage and destroy random card with acid and hammers. Its like some kind of game. On night they did 8 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There are pockets of good and bad on both sides. Clontarf and Malahide are on the North Side and are 'nice'. Ballyogan in Dublin 18 is turning into a Darndale near the beach.

The bus in this part of the world is not very reliable. It is close to the M50 and N11.

Its a very long walk to both the luas and the dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

syklops wrote: »
    There are pockets of good and bad on both sides. Clontarf and Malahide are on the North Side and are 'nice'. Ballyogan in Dublin 18 is turning into a Darndale near the beach.

The bus in this part of the world is not very reliable. It is close to the M50 and N11.

Its a very long walk to both the luas and the dart.

The 7 is usually really reliable and its 15 minutes walk maximum from Wyatville to Cherrywood Luas stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whosthis wrote: »
    The 7 is usually really reliable

Thats not been my experience.
    and its 15 minutes walk maximum from Wyatville to Cherrywood Luas stop.
    How far is it to the dart?

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Thats not been my experience.

How far is it to the dart?

Its a long walk but that doesn't change the fact that the Luas is nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

145 is just around the corner, better than 7.
    I would definitely research the area very closely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

ElizKenny wrote: »
    You can ask anyone living in that area and they will give you the addresses of the houses that the local drug dealers live in. There are lots of them.
    A fair few years ago, when I lived there the chip shop was closed for a while because one of the locals got annoyed at the owner and went home, got a hatchet and went back and actually chopped the owners hand clean off on the counter.

And thats only one example. What about every couple of months when the local youths go on the rampage and destroy random card with acid and hammers. Its like some kind of game. On night they did 8 cars.

What chip shop was this ?

Heres how reliable the bus is

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56767860

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Reading some of the posts above you would think the area is like Tallaght or Ballymun when thats far from the truth. Yes the area isn't Foxrock or Dalkey, but to say its rough is to say somewhere like Tallaght or Ballymun or Finglas is a warzone with rockets flying about the place which is ridiculous.
    OP have a walk around there yourself and make up your own mind.

Its close to the new town center that is going to be built in Cherrywood. The lands at the back of Cherrywood Technology Park have been bought and I have heard from a family member closely involved that plans are at an advanced stage for starting construction (it was Nama land but that has been sold to an Investment Consortium with big plans). With increased employment in the area house prices are only going to go up long term.

Ballybrack shopping center is short walking distance away. Kilbogget Park is on your door step with a large kiddy play area, GAA pitches and paths for walking around.

Cornelscourt is a few minutes down your road if you prefer to shop there.

The luas is a 10 minute walk away.

Plenty of busses on your doorstep that go to town, Dun Laoghaire and Bray. The airport bus stops at the top of Wyattville Road.

Killiney beach is a 5 min drive away

You are close to the mountains should you decide to go out for a bit of hill walking or a toboggan in winter. Dalkey and Killiney hills are a 5 min drive away ,with fabulous views across Dublin and Wicklow to the south.

I could go on and on about the plusses of the area, personally I think you would find it very very hard to find a decent house with the same benefits on your doorstep for the same money anywhere in South County Dublin.

Good luck Op and make your own mind up, some of the posters here are just keyboard warriors all presumably with their own houses in Dalkey, Foxrock or Killiney...yeah right.

Disclaimer - I'm not in Wyattville , but not a milion miles away either!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts above you would think the area is like Tallaght or Ballymun when thats far from the truth. Yes the area isn't Foxrock or Dalkey, but to say its rough is to say somewhere like Tallaght or Ballymun or Finglas is a warzone with rockets flying about the place which is ridiculous.
    OP have a walk around there yourself and make up your own mind.

Its close to the new town center that is going to be built in Cherrywood. The lands at the back of Cherrywood Technology Park have been bought and I have heard from a family member closely involved that plans are at an advanced stage for starting construction (it was Nama land but that has been sold to an Investment Consortium with big plans). With increased employment in the area house prices are only going to go up long term.

Ballybrack shopping center is short walking distance away. Kilbogget Park is on your door step with a large kiddy play area, GAA pitches and paths for walking around.

Cornelscourt is a few minutes down your road if you prefer to shop there.

The luas is a 10 minute walk away.

Plenty of busses on your doorstep that go to town, Dun Laoghaire and Bray. The airport bus stops at the top of Wyattville Road.

Killiney beach is a 5 min drive away

You are close to the mountains should you decide to go out for a bit of hill walking or a toboggan in winter. Dalkey and Killiney hills are a 5 min drive away ,with fabulous views across Dublin and Wicklow to the south.

I could go on and on about the plusses of the area, personally I think you would find it very very hard to find a decent house with the same benefits on your doorstep for the same money anywhere in South County Dublin.

Good luck Op and make your own mind up, some of the posters here are just keyboard warriors all presumably with their own houses in Dalkey, Foxrock or Killiney...yeah right.

Disclaimer - I'm not in Wyattville , but not a milion miles away either!

There are lots of nice places around alright. But its where your doorstep is that the problem. The OP wants to live peacefully in the house and bring up children there, not sleep theer and go to the mountains or on the beach every day :)

All I know is that i used to be terrified if i got delayed and was getting off the bus after dark to walk back to the house. Even my husband didnt like walking late at night there.
    Theres a reason they even stopped the buses going into an area.

The only answer for the OP is a night time walk around a radius of about 1 or 2km from where they want to live. Maybe get the bus from the city back there at about 11pm too and you'll get a feel for who else lives there.

But my view is always based on one simple question at the end of the day - Would I be happy to bring up my children there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JudeK

I'm frankly astounded at how vitriolic ElizKenny is about the area of Ballybrack/Loughlintown. I lived in Ballybrack for five years and it's a lovely place to live, I was sorry to leave. I'm not sure what ElizKenny's agenda is, but to blatently dismiss an area the way she has is just misleading. She was terrified of walking in the area after dark? That really is nonsense, the area consists of family homes, some of the area's are working class admittedly but to state she was terrified is ridiculous. As for the alleged attack in the fish and chip shop, that never happened. I find it reprehensible that people can come online and dismiss an area so easily. If you want to buy in Wyattville it does have many benefits, being close to the luas, etc. Good luck with your purchase :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Heres how reliable the bus is

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56767860

That thread is from 2008, so what's the point in linking to it in this thread?

JudeK wrote: »
    I'm frankly astounded at how vitriolic ElizKenny is about the area of Ballybrack/Loughlintown. I lived in Ballybrack for five years and it's a lovely place to live, I was sorry to leave. I'm not sure what ElizKenny's agenda is, but to blatently dismiss an area the way she has is just misleading. She was terrified of walking in the area after dark? That really is nonsense, the area consists of family homes, some of the area's are working class admittedly but to state she was terrified is ridiculous. As for the alleged attack in the fish and chip shop, that never happened. I find it reprehensible that people can come online and dismiss an area so easily. If you want to buy in Wyattville it does have many benefits, being close to the luas, etc. Good luck with your purchase :-)

I just dont want to see someone else make the same mistake i did and end up paying for it by living in fear.

Come on, be honest. You lived there for 5 years. You never heard of any of this?

www .google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ballybrack+crime

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its pretty rough... but not the worst, the estate isn't too bad but I wouldn't be nipping down to the shopping centre in a hurry, its a most unpleasant walk unless you loop round the estate

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    That thread is from 2008, so what's the point in linking to it in this thread?

Its been going on for about 20 years anyway, so there will be aticles etc going back 20 years if you care to look it up yourself.

But heres a press release from 2 years ago. Im sure theres more recent too.

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to anti social behaviour on Wyattville Road & Church View road the following curtailments will commence from Thursday the 7th February 2013.
    Mon- Fri
    Route 7 Outbound
    The last bus serving Churchview Rd & Wyattville Rd will depart city centre at 20:30pm.
    Buses after 20:30pm will operate normal route to Killiney Shopping Centre; then turn around at the roundabout, left onto Johnstown road, left on to N11 left to Cherrywood and onto Loughlinstown.
    Route 7 Inbound
    The last bus serving Churchview road & Wyattville will depart Loughlinstown at 20:30pm.
    Buses after 20:30pm ex Loughlinstown /Cherrywood will operate via the N11, Right to Johnstown road, right to Rochestown Avenue, Killiney Shopping Centre, then turn around at the roundabout and back to normal route.
    Route 45a from Dunlaoire
    Last bus serving Churchview rd & Wyattville will depart Dunlaoire at 20:20pm.
    l
    Buses after 20:20pm will operate normal route to Killiney Shopping Centre; then via Church road, left to Ballybrack and on to normal route.
    Route 45A towards Dunlaoire
    Last bus serving Churchview rd & Wyattville will depart Balywaltrim at 20:25pm.
    Buses after 20:25pm will operate normal route to Ballybrack Village; then right to Church road, Killiney Shopping Centre and back to normal route.

The above diversions will operate at weekends also below is a list of last buses operating the normal route.
    Saturday Route 7
    City centre 20:30pm
    Loughlinstown 20:20pm
    Saturday Route 45a
    From DunLaoire 20:30pm
    To DunLaoire 20:35pm
    Sunday Route 7
    City centre 20:30pm
    Loughlinstown 20:20pm
    Sunday Route 45a
    From DunLaoire 20:35pm
    To Dunlaoire 20:00pm
    Dublin Bus would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Its been going on for about 20 years anyway, so there will be aticles etc going back 20 years if you care to look it up yourself.

But heres a press release from 2 years ago. Im sure theres more recent too.

Dublin Bus wishes ..........

As you said, thats two years old, anything up to date? As in, relevant. I got on a 7 on Wyatville Road at about 11pm last Saturday.

Whosthis wrote: »
    As you said, thats two years old, anything up to date? As in, relevant. I got on a 7 on Wyatville Road at about 11pm last Saturday.

Talk about missing the point.

But thats enough from me. The OP can have a walk around and maybe take the last bus if brave enough and they'll get a feel for the area.

Take a walk down to the shopping center at night too. It gets pretty hairy down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Talk about missing the point.

But thats enough from me. The OP can have a walk around and maybe take the last bus if brave enough and they'll get a feel for the area.

Take a walk down to the shopping center at night too. It gets pretty hairy down there too.

I have Lived beside the shopping centre all my life and never saw any trouble. Ballybrack/wyatville is a relatively safe area in reality.

the only issue id have is kids near wyatville road which is a busy dual carriage way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

JudeK wrote: »

I would like to ad that the story about the chip shop attack I never heard there is no chip shop in wyattville. I never heard of random attacks on cars either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I would like to ad that the story about the chip shop attack I never heard there is no chip shop in wyattville. I never heard of random attacks on cars either.

Have mates that live there and i grew up not too far away.. never heard it either and tbh its not a story that wouldnt do the rounds.

OP wyatville is not a bad area, its not a great area.

Yes there will be some anti social behaviour, i would probably put it 3.5 out of 10.

Hi OP.
    Id be interested to hear of you did the walkaround of the area yet.
    If so what dod you think. Has it made you for or against the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I live fairly close to there and would have no problems buying there (houses are a bit bigger than mine). I grew up in Dalkey so am not exactly used to living in rough areas so am not just a local saying its fine. I'm really amazed at the comments earlier, its like they are talking about a totally different place (or they are related to Ross O'Caroll Kelly).
    Have a look yourself, I think its in a great location, close to local amenities and are decent sized houses. Its not Dalkey of Foxrock, but its very very far from Tallaght, Ballymun or Finglas in terms of safety.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Supercell wrote: »
    I live fairly close to there and would have no problems buying there (houses are a bit bigger than mine). I grew up in Dalkey so am not exactly used to living in rough areas so am not just a local saying its fine. I'm really amazed at the comments earlier, its like they are talking about a totally different place (or they are related to Ross O'Caroll Kelly).
    Have a look yourself, I think its in a great location, close to local amenities and are decent sized houses. Its not Dalkey of Foxrock, but its very very far from Tallaght, Ballymun or Finglas in terms of safety.

You see, this is no better than the other poster.

Area A might be problematic, but it's much better than Area B which I've never lived in but I've read/heard about.

I grew up in Ballybrack and lived there for the best part of 20 years, and it is indeed fine. Some rough areas, but actually it's more rough families than rough areas and as with everywhere it's a small minority that cause all of the trouble.

I've now lived in Ballymun/Finglas for the best part of 10 years and it is no worse than Ballybrack or Dunlaoire for that matter. It has some rough areas, but actually it's more rough families than rough areas and as with everwhere it's a small minority that cause all of the trouble.

I don't feel any more or less safe living and walking where I do now than I did when I lived in Ballybrack or Dun Laoire, or the city centre. Every area has trouble, and every area has people that give it a bad name, but suggesting that Ballybrack is no Finglas is no better than suggesting that Ballybrack is a bad area when all you have to show for it is anecdotes and media stories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement