Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Account due to price increase

Options
  • 07-02-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    I received my letter regarding the price increase on the 4th of February and want to cancel my account and move to Vodafone. I have been informed that when I cancel the account the internet will stop working immediately and so I was wondering can I cancel the account after the Vodafone broadband has been set up to prevent loss of connection as long as it's within the 30 days notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭willycat

I am interested to know the answer to that, too.

I want to cancel my service and leave Eircom, BUT not instantly when I call Eircom to do it, I just want to give notice of my "intention" to leave, while I deal/purchase another Broadband service, which I know it might take some days to become active.

As far as I know, that's perfectly possible. Sky representatives here in Boards.ie have posted this, confirming that if a company raises the price in violation of the terms of the service a customer purchased, he can just move to another company without penalty. Specifically:

"If a company, any company, raises their prices in violation of the terms of your service then you have the right to cancel this service without penalty. This policy is not limited to just cancelling your account, however. You also have the right to transfer your service to another provider under this policy.

Just to be clear, the option under this policy is not only for cancellations."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just be careful when cancelling any service and make sure that you take the responsibility for cancelling the service yourself - something a provider will say leave it to us in the anxiety to get your business but that can be a disaster.  Do it yourself and then move - wherever you may be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hiwazup wrote: »
    Hi,
    I received my letter regarding the price increase on the 4th of February and want to cancel my account and move to Vodafone. I have been informed that when I cancel the account the internet will stop working immediately and so I was wondering can I cancel the account after the Vodafone broadband has been set up to prevent loss of connection as long as it's within the 30 days notice?
    Hi Hiwazup

The other provider needs an active account to take over. You would not request the closure of the account in this case but rather give notice to cancellations of intent to move provider - this falls under "Cancelling your contract/account".

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi i have received no notification formally of a price increase to home phone and broadband. 
    Can you check my status please? 
    John 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Hi i have received no notification formally of a price increase to home phone and broadband. 
    Can you check my status please? 
    John 
    Hi seanin4711

Please contact cancellations on free phone 1901 to check your contract status,

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement