Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legality of Raves in Ireland

Options
  • 07-02-2015 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the law in Ireland regarding private underground raves. Like what the law actually states, what the Gardai have the power to actually do etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

You need a license to organise and run a dance event. Garda can and do seize pa equipment if no license exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daniel Fitzgerald

fits wrote: »
    You need a license to organise and run a dance event. Garda can and do seize pa equipment if no license exists.

What if it is hired PA equipment, can the hire company get it back by claiming they had not got knowledge it was being used for a rave? And also do Gardai not need a warrant to enter said premises once you don't exceed noise pollution regulations in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd imagine the hire complany will get the cost of the equipment from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What if it is hired PA equipment, can the hire company get it back by claiming they had not got knowledge it was being used for a rave? And also do Gardai not need a warrant to enter said premises once you don't exceed noise pollution regulations in the area?

I think they can enter if they have reasons to suspect laws are being broken (no dance licence, drugs etc.), if a number exceeds a certain amount it is no longer considered a private party either. Can't say I know too much but there is a thread somewhere on this forum from a few years ago which explains all of this pretty well, worth searching for if you're looking for information. I'd say the only way you could ever successfully organize one is if the gardaí never found out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I believe they shut them down under section 8 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0008.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

nm wrote: »
    I believe they shut them down under section 8 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0008.html

No, it's not. That only applies to public places, i.e. not a private field.

The law is contained in the LICENSING (COMBATING DRUG ABUSE) ACT, 1997

It states if a Garda Superintendent believes an unlicensed dance is taking place, where there will be dancing and music, and occassion to sell controlled drugs.

Guards can set up a 2 mile perimeter, and direct people not to attend, can enter any place to investigate, direct people to leave the event, and can seize music equipment. Following conviction, the music equipment can be forfeited to the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I have friends who have been running a small festival for the last few years Sundown Gathering, they have a facebook event page but its billed as a private party and my mates would do distance checks to make sure any neighbouring areas weren't affected by the noise. Capacity is 350 people, apparently if you go over this number you have to get a proper licence for the event.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mr.S wrote: »
    If you try and do it above board, insurance I believe is what ****s up a lot of them, and results in them being "shut down".

That said, there are raves in very popular locations (think your favourite restaurant etc...) every weekend, blatantly illegal but they've been going on years so it must be fairly easy to get away with!

This happened last year in County Cork with the Dream Gathering festival, it took a bit of talking with the authorities but the fest eventually went ahead but they had to cut down their closing down time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement