Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expeirence of onions and cauliflower seeds

• 07-02-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

Im growing onion and cauliflower seeds in a coldframe, this is my first year growing veg. I have more lettuce and carrots that I will plant a little later. I am thinking about making a raised bed from some old pallets. At the very least it seems like it would be a fun DIY project. Has anyone any advice for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Onions usually trouble free but rotate crops to avoid problems. May need to start cauli indoors. I use my own paper pots and transplant when weather is suitable. Protect from butterflies to avoid caterpillars Saves thinning. You will need to protect carrots from carrot root fly. Use fleece as soon as you plant. Lettuce needs to be kept watered. Best to plant little and often. Seeds won't germinate if in too much heat. Pop in a few raddish if you like them and you will see a quick result. There is a pest for every veg you grow but with a bit of planning you will get good crops and nothing compares to super fresh produce. Good gardening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Thanks for your reply Delphinium. when you say;
    Delphinium wrote: »
    May need to start cauli indoors.
    Does the coldframe count as indoors?

It speeds up the germination if you have a little heat. I use a propagator. But the seeds will do fine in the cold frame, just take much longer. Don't be tempted to bring in any brassica plants unless they are from a reliable source. Gifts from fellow gardeners may import club root. Buying from garden centres in pots with compost is fine. Your raised beds sound great.

Ya I've been looking up some videos on you tube (there are tons) of people who have turned pallets into raised beds. There's not a whole lot to it and I've a shed full of pallets.

Just be warned gardening is an incurable disease and once infected you will want to go out there in all weathers!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭greasepalm

and if using pallets have them treated with plant friendly wood preserve.

Delphinium wrote: »
    Just be warned gardening is an incurable disease and once infected you will want to go out there in all weathers!!!!
    You are definitely right there, I started about two weeks ago by buying a few seeds in a local shop. Then a coldframe. Now im planning to build my own raised beds!
    So things have certainly escalated quickly.

greasepalm wrote: »
    and if using pallets have them treated with plant friendly wood preserve.

Would you have any suggestions of suitable wood preserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

OP just a word of caution on the pallets.
    Check the markings on them to make sure they're not chemically treated as that crap will leech into the soil and ultimately into your veg.

There should be markings printed on the pallet somewhere - check 'em against something like this:

*ack* can't post a link coz I'm too new, but just google 'how to read pallet markings' and have a look at the images. It's fairly straight forward.

Pallets are the business though - I use loads of them for various little projects.

OP just a word of caution on the pallets.
    Check the markings on them to make sure they're not chemically treated as that crap will leech into the soil and ultimately into your veg.

There should be markings printed on the pallet somewhere - check 'em against something like this:

*ack* can't post a link coz I'm too new, but just google 'how to read pallet markings' and have a look at the images. It's fairly straight forward.

Pallets are the business though - I use loads of them for various little projects.

Ive thought about this, the pallets I am using were used for cattle meal and coal so its likely they were only used domestically. However, Ill certainly keep this in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement