Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CrunchBang

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sad to hear, it ran lovely on my eeePC a few years ago, my only encounter with OpenBox desktop manager which was very different but functional.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Have spent the last half hour looking for the git repo so I could have a look at it, instead of just getting the ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I'm gutted about this. I've being using Crunchbang on my desktop for many years. I love it's simplicity and style. When it first arrived there was nothing like it. Now there's plenty of light weight openbox distros that are rolling. I think if he'd moved to a ubuntu base it might have taken off better rather than the years it takes for Debian. Maybe it'll fork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I have used Crunchbang a lot too. it's the very best of the super lightweight debian based distros. It's a real pity to see it go.
    It was originally Ubuntu based, but switched to Debian.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've begun using it and find it to be very good. The main developer/s just may not have the time to continue its development anymore or just don't see a future for it anymore. It would be and is a great distro for machines with far less ram and storage versus a heavier distro like Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora.

It would have a great market for the likes of Raspberry Pi or other micro computers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I used it back when it was ubuntu based. I really liked it and ran smoothly on the limited resources of my eeepc 1000. What was the reason they moved to debian? With LXDE being pushed by ubuntu and fedora, I'd imagine their numbers dropped off significantly.

Itzy wrote: »
    I've begun using it and find it to be very good. The main developer/s just may not have the time to continue its development anymore or just don't see a future for it anymore. It would be and is a great distro for machines with far less ram and storage versus a heavier distro like Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora.

It would have a great market for the likes of Raspberry Pi or other micro computers.
    There was a Raspbian spin for the Pi called PiBang, looked identical to CrunchBang. I used it too. It also has been discontinued.
    A pure debian with XFCE or LXDE is a very lightweight and fast os.
    The man who developed Cruncbang has recommended users to switch to a vanilla Debian to get something comparably light and fast, if very different looking.

Currently working on ArchBang and a UI installer, but I'd nearly look into doing some work with Crunch too. The drop in user base wouldn't phase me at all as I have OCD and a love for such Distributions.

Well I certainly hope something of CrunchBang can be saved. I am no coder or Linux expert, just an enthusiastic user, so reliant on such as yourself to keep me supplied with great operating systems - good luck.

excollier wrote: »
    Well I certainly hope something of CrunchBang can be saved. I am no coder or Linux expert, just an enthusiastic user, so reliant on such as yourself to keep me supplied with great operating systems - good luck.

Well it's the kind of project I love to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"It was just a little while ago that the Linux world was shocked to find that CrunchBang Linux had died. The CrunchBang developer felt like it was time to move on, and so CrunchBang users were going to have to let it go and find a new minimalist distro for their computers…until now.

The CrunchBang Plus Plus site is promising to continue the legacy of CrunchBang, but this time it will be based on Debian Jesse packages."

http://jimlynch.com/linux-articles/crunchbang-linux-is-back-from-the-dead/

I was never a crunchbang user, but I hope if will cheer you up :-)

We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

Just for anybody interested after #! development stopped 2 groups took care of further development. Crunchbang++' an independent continuation of the Crunchbang legacy, It continues where #! ended and bunsenlabs a new take on #! also very community driven.

Advertisement