Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Ad Platform works for you?

Options
  • 07-02-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a more general thread for the discussion of different ad platforms, their pros and cons and how to best use them when it comes to integrating the different formats within the user experience so as to retain as many users as possible and even enhance the user experience.

I've an app currently in the market place. It's a fairly simple app that displays results. It is free and I've been using google admob for monetisation over the last year. The ads are exclusively banner ads and are rather unobtrusive which means I have seen steady growth in the app over the last two years and now have approximately 14k regular users. My CTR is only about 0.6% with approximately 2million impressions a year. I think the banner ads ad to the user experience which has helped grow and maintain the user base with little to no new features added to the app since it was first published. The point of the app is that it's quick and light which admob's ads do well. It's simple and light to integrate with.

I've been experimenting around with a new ad platform called ogury which promises $25 cpm and revenue seems to be entirely impression based. The main difference is that the ads are full screen modal and happen before an activity (that being said I have only tested it briefly in a virtual device). The Ad format is actually quite a nice looking ad however, and it's interest based (which the use phone data for). The other thing about this ad platform is that they require you to add permissions to install shortcuts (which is an option on some of the ads), which some people might draw a negative association with. I'll do a bit more playing about and possibly introduce a remote way of turning these ads on/off.

I'll probably have to put some new features in as part of the next release with this new ad platform so that users don't feel like they're being conned, however I think it is a promising network if they can deliver anywhere near their claims around on how much they pay per CPM.

Please feel free to share your experiences with monetisation and how you look for the most optimal ad experience to minimise the impact on customer experience and maximise ad revenue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sheeps wrote: »
    I've been experimenting around with a new ad platform called ogury which promises $25 cpm and revenue seems to be entirely impression based.
    Ogury can promise that because they show very few adverts. By that I mean that because they're very specific about building up profiles and then not repeatedly advertising to the same individual user, they'll return a NOFILL (which does not count as an impression) most of the time.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing as part of an overall integrated advertising strategy in your apps, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, nor would I rush in without considering the knock-on effect that the extra permissions they demand will have on your installs.

Advertisement