Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help please laptop keeps dropping wifi

Options
  • 07-02-2015 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Little help please my laptop keeps dropping wifi. Its a HP pavilion g6 and im with eircom efibre.

This problem is wrecking my head. The laptop could disconnect a dozen or so times a day and the easiest way to reconnect it to troubleshoot it. When i do so it reconnects and i get this message

[img][/img]NewBitmapImage_zps54ce92df.png

Can someone please tell me if this is an issue with my laptop or my router?

Any tips on how to resolve this would also be appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I changed the power settings, mine was set to sleep mode after a while. Kept knocking Wi-Fi off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Doom wrote: »
    I changed the power settings, mine was set to sleep mode after a while. Kept knocking Wi-Fi off.

Thanks, i ve tried that. Happens whether or not im using the laptop. I use chromecast to watch videostream or netflix off my laptop and the constant disconnections would make me pull my hair out, if i had any.

Owryan wrote: »
    Thanks, i ve tried that. Happens whether or not im using the laptop. I use chromecast to watch videostream or netflix off my laptop and the constant disconnections would make me pull my hair out, if i had any.

Try this...

1. Open DEVICE MANAGER
    2. Open up NETWORK ADAPTERS
    3. Right click on the WiFi Adapter for the pc and left click on PROPERTIES
    4. Click on POWER MANAGEMENT at the top.
    5. Remove the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER
    6. Click OK
    7. Close DEVICE MANAGER and test.

Just tried that, box already unticked and another disconnection

Post the type of Router you have.

• Advertisement

It's a zyxel f1000 modem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Try changing the wifi channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buggy driver would be my bet.

Those routers are awful... Maybe invest in a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Changing the router may be a bit drastic, particularly since the OP doesn't know if the problem is in the router or the laptop. I'd take the laptop to a friend's house and see if it keeps disconnecting there.

My wi-fi kept dropping but I knew it was the laptop (not a HP) because I kept getting messages as if I had flipped the switch on the side which manually disables Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even though I hadn't touched it so I eventually bought a Wi-Fi USB stick from Tesco for €20, problem solved ....

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?categoryid=240&model=TL-WN823N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Owryan wrote: »
    It's a zyxel f1000 modem

I think these routers may have a timeout setting, have a look through the router options and if you find the timeout option try setting it from 5000 to 9999 and that should resolve it....

If not try changing WiFi channels!

Cheers folks for all the advice. My gut says it is a problem with the laptop as I never seem to lose WiFi on my phone and I use that to cast s***b** to my TV.

Being honest I would have no idea about how to change the WiFi channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I'd suspect the wireless card, see if it is a separate card and maybe you might be able to pick one up cheap or a dongle one

Advertisement