Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal?

Options
  • 07-02-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Are they allowed park on presumably private property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No, but in fairness, the traffic flies through there. Anyone caught, deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    No, but in fairness, the traffic flies through there. Anyone caught, deserves it.

Then does that not mean that every speeder they catch will be null and void?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Am not sure whether its legal or not but everyone I know expects the van to be somewhere along that short stretch, so we all just keep to the speed limit. A couple of my friends got speeding fines at that location almost 2 years ago, one for doing 57kph, the other 59. I dont take any chances with them now. Its a given that if you are driving through Ballinacarrow, Ballymote, Grange or Rathcormack etc.. everywhere where the camera signs are, take heed, they are there for a reason and they will catch you at some point if you ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

OP Do you mind linking to the model of dashcam that you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

excellent question, they are a private company as far as I know so unless they have permission of the landowner they would be trespassing would they not? does it matter that it was once open to public?

if I was about to lose my licence from points from that van i'd def be following that up.

no idea about the law but isn't evidence gathered illegally invalid in court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe the driver was paying for petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Larianne wrote: »
    Maybe the driver was paying for petrol?

no it's been closed down for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

dingding wrote: »
    OP Do you mind linking to the model of dashcam that you are using.

Sorry only seen this today! Its a "Nextbase InCarCam 402G Professional NBDVR402-G" actually bought it in Maplin in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

As far as i know two cases were appealed recently. The people caught speeding didn't get points but had to make a donation to charity. A forecore is public property but that one is closed. The speed van company claimed they were seeking permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

6781 wrote: »
    As far as i know two cases were appealed recently. The people caught speeding didn't get points but had to make a donation to charity. A forecore is public property but that one is closed. The speed van company claimed they were seeking permission.

If you pass through now you'll see there's private van's parked there which means the speed van cannot park.

Done on purpose I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Sergei Malatov

Road deaths have fallen in this country precisely because of this, yet people still complaining.

The amount of ****ing idiots I see that have no business being on the road on a daily basis - the exact kind of people who complain about this.

They don't even know the basics and they have a full licence. It's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Locals have taken to parking a plain white van in this spot lately as well, trying to get people to slow down.

I notice there's something like cameras on the stop lights a bit further up - could they not be used for catching / measuring speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Road deaths have fallen in this country precisely because of this, yet people still complaining.

The amount of ****ing idiots I see that have no business being on the road on a daily basis - the exact kind of people who complain about this.

They don't even know the basics and they have a full licence. It's scary.

Get off the horse, please.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Locals have taken to parking a plain white van in this spot lately as well, trying to get people to slow down.

I notice there's something like cameras on the stop lights a bit further up - could they not be used for catching / measuring speeding?

They are more than likely a sensor. Only fixed cameras that I am aware of are around dublin, amd would be pretty big and hard to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

The only time the Gardai can park on private property with their speed vans is when the get the full permission from the owner, but if anybody who travels through Ballinacarrow may have seen over the past week of so somebody has parked a camper van in the same spot. :-)

I will agree the traffic through this village can be scary at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are they allowed park on presumably private property?

Yes. With permission of the owner.

Advertisement