Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FLAT BAR GROUPSET

• 07-02-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I was thinking of upgrading the groupset on my flat bar bike. It's currently 3 x 8 spd Shimano, don't know which exact set. Would it be best to buy separate parts or the whole groupset? If I do this can I make it 2 x 10 spd? I assume I would need the following;
    bottom bracket, chainset, chain, rear and front derailleurs, shifters and brake levers. Am I missing anything? I'm ok with the brakes I have but might change anyway if I did go ahead just to have everything the same. Where would be the best place to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

You might not need the bottom bracket. You might need a chain for the tighter cassette grouping at the back along with deruailers, and cables. You might get away with keeping the front one but adjust the stops to cover the range of the 2 chain rings. If you are going this road, it would not be much more expensive to go the whole hog and convert from flats to drops. You won't ever make the money back. Consider selling and putting the same amount you would spend towards a bike with all that already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Thanks, I had thought of just selling and just converting to drops but I had back trouble and the flats seem to have helped so I'm reluctant to go back. I bought the bike last year second hand after selling my drop bike. It was in good condition but I want to do the ROK on it this year. After that my time may be fairly limited due to family, work and gaa commitments so I thought I'd just upgrade everything and have a bike for a good few years to come whenever needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Well, if you want to do it in stages, think about putting a 10 on the back, new derailleur, new 10 speed shifter, and chain, and leave the front as a 3. You are probably not going to use the smaller ring, but might be nice to have, then convert the front at a later stage. Also, a less work and hassle. No need to change brake, just change the Shimano/SRAM shifter you have on that side.

Regarding the drop bars, flats are longer, but I got 44cm bars, which are the longest size for drops, and I find the multiple choices of position on a long spin better than the flat. I just changed my stem to a shorter one to account for the difference in distance from me when on the hoods. Also, the geometry on the frame of a fitness hybrid is usually a bit different to a road bike. Slightly longer top tube, so you might find your experience with drops on that frame better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If putting money into a flat bar bike, I'm not sure changing the group set would give you the best return unless you find yourself spinning out currently or find the gears clunky. Best upgrades I made to my hybrid were really good tyres and a super comfy saddle. Without drops, I reckon bar ends are also pretty essential for a long ride, and would possibly consider butterfly bars. Personally, I find drops way easier on the back then flats on a long cycle, due to the range of positions and being able carry more weight on your legs on poor surfaces.

Advertisement