Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New licence and doctor (GP) opinion ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Sparks wrote: »
    Lad, a non-specific medical report is worth less than the paper it's printed on.

Im not saying it has to be a legal document, or something water tight that can hold up in court. Just a simple, "I doctor Smith believe that my patient Mr John Doe has epilipsy (or vertigo or whatever else) and you might want to consider this factor while granting the licence"
    I could get a medical report today saying I'm free from epilepsy because I've never had a seizure and have no family history on any side of the family tree of epilepsy. But late onset epilepsy could still hit me two years from now

So people with epilipsy and who take seizures shouldnt be questioned because.... what? Because its possible to develop it after the licence is granted so no point in even asking?

but go to a new GP, lie about your background and you'll fly past the medical for most of those. So you might as well just ask "do you have X, Y or Z", because it's as effective.

Very simple. First question asked of the doctor "how long have you been treating this patient".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Im not saying it has to be a legal document, or something water tight that can hold up in court. Just a simple, "I doctor Smith believe that my patient Mr John Doe has epilipsy (or vertigo or whatever else) and you might want to consider this factor while granting the licence"

So people with epilipsy and who take seizures shouldnt be questioned because.... what? Because its possible to develop it after the licence is granted so no point in even asking?

Very simple. First question asked of the doctor "how long have you been treating this patient".

Many shooters rarely see their doctor, my GP, actually has never seen me, never needed to go to them. this would be especially true for younger male shooters.

the question has to be asked what is the risk.
    ie how many people who shoot have had adverse issues with shooting as a result of a predictable medical condition.
    e.g. how many people have been injured by a diabetic shooter who had a hypo?

I would say it is very little , I have never heard of someone being shot by someone as a result of an fit or indeed poor hearing or eyesight .

There would be little benefit ( apart for my colleagues bank accounts ) in forcing shooters to obtain medical clearance.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    the question has to be asked what is the risk.

I would say it is very little

There would be little benefit in forcing shooters to obtain medical clearance.

When a lad falls 5 yards in front of you with a loaded shotgun and starts spasmsing out and the gun is flying in every direction..... then come back to me and tell me that 60euro (or whatever a sick note from a doctor costs these days) is not financially worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When a lad falls 5 yards in front of you with a loaded shotgun and starts spasmsing out and the gun is flying in every direction..... then come back to me and tell me that 60euro (or whatever a sick note from a doctor costs these days) is not financially worth it.

It's not if the note can't tell you that might happen.
    It's also not if the lad can readily get that note from some other doctor who's never seen him before.
    Basically, the note will only protect you if (a) the shooter has a preexisting condition and (b) is honest enough to admit it; and if (a) and (b) were true, then the shooter would probably never go for a licence anyway.
    Funny thing, this whole "law-abiding" thing, it tends to be decent people who do it.

Anyone can have a fit at any time, there are many reasons for fitting not just epilepsy.
    Having a medical report does not make it a safer world.
    But hey, an extra €10 million flowing into mine and my colleagues accounts every 3 years would be nice.:)

• Advertisement

It's not if the note can't tell you that might happen.
    It's also not if the lad can readily get that note from some other doctor who's never seen him before.
    Basically, the note will only protect you if (a) the shooter has a preexisting condition and (b) is honest enough to admit it; and if (a) and (b) were true, then the shooter would probably never go for a licence anyway.
    Funny thing, this whole "law-abiding" thing, it tends to be decent people who do it.

Im not convinced to be honest.

I can find lots of silly over the top red tape when it comes to shooting..... but this is one issue that I find hard to believe that its such an unpatched loophole and its one of the very few areas that I think they need to tighten up on and arguments like 'chances are slim' and 'not worth the effort' just dont do it for me.

Anyone can have a fit at any time, there are many reasons for fitting not just epilepsy.

Well Im only saying epilipsy because thats what this lad had. But yes you are right Im sure there are a lot of other conditions that would make a person unsuitable to possess a firearm....

Having a medical report does not make it a safer world.

But it does make it that little bit safer.

Obviously we cant predict the future, or predict someone suddenly developing a new condition.... but it would be nice to know about existing ones.

But hey, an extra €10 million flowing into mine and my colleagues accounts every 3 years would be nice.smile.png

If its 60euro for a doctors note... thats 20euro a year.... in other words every year I'll have to sacrficie a box of 223 rounds or a day of clay shooting.... I can live with that.

Well Im only saying epilipsy because thats what this lad had. But yes you are right Im sure there are a lot of other conditions that would make a person unsuitable to possess a firearm....

But it does make it that little bit safer.

Obviously we cant predict the future, or predict someone suddenly developing a new condition.... but it would be nice to know about existing ones.

If its 60euro for a doctors note... thats 20euro a year.... in other words every year I'll have to sacrficie a box of 223 rounds or a day of clay shooting.... I can live with that.

Again there is little or no evidence of medical conditions leading to firearms injuries.
    You might feel safer - but thats just perception.

And even at 60 euro it would mean every time you renewed each license , it would be minimum € 140, so if you had 4 firearms that would be on average nearly €200 per year.

Advertisement