Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing an old Irish vehicle, address in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 07-02-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have purchased a 1971 vehicle with the intention of restoring it, it has the original Irish plate (which I believe, from information on this site was originally registered in Leitrim) and I would like to keep if possible.

I found the post on reactivating an old Irish reg below very helpful but didn't want to confuse things by adding my question to it.

I have no tax book or documents but when I type in the reg in cartell.ie the make, model and engine size of the vehicle come up, so obviously the details of the vehicle are available. My query is, because I live in Northern Ireland is it possible to register the vehicle in the south with my home address in NI?

I don't want to register it in Northern Ireland as I can't keep the reg - they issue a modern reg (been there, done that with a Maltese import - I wanted to keep the reg on it but couldn't). Also, would the same process of getting forms witnessed by a member of the Garda apply to me when I don't live in the country?

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

You will have to get a southern address to keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

As I'm sure you know, the old Irish reg was part of the 1904 UK system which continued (with modifications) until 2001 in GB and to this day in NI.

At some point in the past, ROI registrations could be transferred to NI with the plate kept, but I'm not sure if this is any longer the case.

What is it about the old plate that you like? If if you can't get the plate transferred you could look for a similar "old plate" from NI or GB.

I'd contact the DVLA to ask.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You will have to re-register it in N.I., unless you have an address in the Republic.

You will get an age-appropriate registration for it when you re-reg it in N.I. will you not?

Re the Maltese import...Am I reading it correctly...you wanted to keep the Malta registration after importing it into N.I.?? This would not be possible under any circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Silvera wrote: »
    You will have to re-register it in N.I., unless you have an address in the Republic.

You will get an age-appropriate registration for it when you re-reg it in N.I. will you not?

Re the Maltese import...Am I reading it correctly...you wanted to keep the Malta registration after importing it into N.I.?? This would not be possible under any circumstances.

you'd have to keep it in the Republic too if you wanted to use it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davidm2623

Thanks everyone for your advice. I don't have an address in the Republic, I just wanted to keep the plate as it is an original part of the vehicle (and it's a nice one - 3 letters, 3 numbers - none of the 'z's that have to be part of the NI numbers today). In my opinion, there's nothing worse than a vintage vehicle with a modern registration.

In Northern Ireland, they issue a current-day registration regardless of the age of the vehicle. I'd be happy with an age-appropriate plate but they won't do this - there is a lot of money to be made from the sale of these old numbers. The Maltese import received a current registration but I was able to buy an (almost) age-appropriate plate and do a cherished transfer - better than the modern registration it had but still not original.

I have tried asking the DVLA but nobody understands what I am talking about - they are mostly foreigners trained to read from a list of answers to likely questions and now that the NI system has been transferred to Swansea it's even more difficult. I am told that it is possible to keep a registation number not issued in Northern Ireland via the cherished transfer system but you need a tax book and the vehicle it relates to must be roadworthy however this does not apply to those originally issued in the Republic, though I have been unable to verify this officially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

davidm2623 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I don't have an address in the Republic, I just wanted to keep the plate as it is an original part of the vehicle (and it's a nice one - 3 letters, 3 numbers - none of the 'z's that have to be part of the NI numbers today). In my opinion, there's nothing worse than a vintage vehicle with a modern registration.

In Northern Ireland, they issue a current-day registration regardless of the age of the vehicle. I'd be happy with an age-appropriate plate but they won't do this - there is a lot of money to be made from the sale of these old numbers. The Maltese import received a current registration but I was able to buy an (almost) age-appropriate plate and do a cherished transfer - better than the modern registration it had but still not original.

I have tried asking the DVLA but nobody understands what I am talking about - they are mostly foreigners trained to read from a list of answers to likely questions and now that the NI system has been transferred to Swansea it's even more difficult. I am told that it is possible to keep a registation number not issued in Northern Ireland via the cherished transfer system but you need a tax book and the vehicle it relates to must be roadworthy however this does not apply to those originally issued in the Republic, though I have been unable to verify this officially.

It depends on how much you want to spend but you can get WJI 484 for example for £357.33 at http://www.plates4less.co.uk/irish-number-plates/registrations.asp?page=12&combination=W&orderBy=&searchInput=

There's also pre-1963 GB registrations at http://www.plates4less.co.uk/plates/search-dateless-number-plates.asp#Search

I'm not necessarily recommending this website because I've never bought plates but it shows you what's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

David m, you are more than welcome to register this car at my house, several posters recently have indicated that it is possible to get an original tax book for a vehicle. Search the last month on this forum for advice.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Just had a wee luck, Silvera seems to know his stuff on the tax book matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

rugbyman wrote: »
    Just had a wee luck, Silvera seems to know his stuff on the tax book matter

Did you get a tax book for a car of yours? Tell us more please :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement