Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to pay student accommodation (Manor Village Waterford)

• 07-02-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys, im wondering if you can help me with my problem.
    I deregistered from WIT on November last year cause of that I wanted to leave my student accommodation in Manor Village as there was not much point in staying. Ive heard that the financial implication of this is that they will have to charge me the rent owing my apartment until they rent it to someone else.

The problem is that I never knew it would be so difficult for the accommodation to find someone else to rent my room and now they want the rent of my payment. I dont have job and finding one ever since ive left has been more difficult than expected. I have but a couple of euros in my bank (€300) and i had to pay them €50 last week just to tell them I will pay them back eventually until i get a job, i promise them on that. Calling the accommodation doesnt seem to help either as they really dont know what to do.

Now im having panic attacks that they may sue me or bring my family to court if we dont pay which would lead to more problems.

Can someone offer advise in my situation cause right now im in limbo; i dont know what to do
    Any help or advice would be kindly appreciated.

Please and thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Solus7 wrote: »
    Hey guys, im wondering if you can help me with my problem.
    I deregistered from WIT on November last year cause of that I wanted to leave my student accommodation in Manor Village as there was not much point in staying. Ive heard that the financial implication of this is that they will have to charge me the rent owing my apartment until they rent it to someone else.

The problem is that I never knew it would be so difficult for the accommodation to find someone else to rent my room and now they want the rent of my payment. I dont have job and finding one ever since ive left has been more difficult than expected. I have but a couple of euros in my bank (€300) and i had to pay them €50 last week just to tell them I will pay them back eventually until i get a job, i promise them on that. Calling the accommodation doesnt seem to help either as they really dont know what to do.

Now im having panic attacks that they may sue me or bring my family to court if we dont pay which would lead to more problems.

Can someone offer advise in my situation cause right now im in limbo; i dont know what to do
    Any help or advice would be kindly appreciated.

Please and thank you

Honestly without specifics we can't offer any good advice. ..Do you have an agreement or any documentation regarding your living arrangements...If so what do they say about leaving accommodation early?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Solus7

The contract i signed stated that I have to pay the full year payment regardless if I dropput or not. These payments are waived off when they find someone to rent my room.

I already knw this when I left as I said in my post. Problem being they still havent found anyone to rent my room so therefore im obligated to pay, which im fine to do but they need, the student accommodation, to take my situation at the moment. I have no job, and im still currently trying to find one, i have less than €300 in my account the rest of the money i used to pay for a plane ticket to attend my deceased little brothers anniversary

As you can see, im stuck and am worried about legal implications that may be forced upon me if i dont pay the amount. I mean the problem really is not paying the fees but rather if they want me to pay them in specific time like a couple of months or so. That I cannot do at all.

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Problem being they still havent found anyone to rent my room

Have you tried looking for a replacement yourself?

Unfornately many of the people i know have already rented a room or is leaving somewhere else like a house with others.
    I was actually hoping an international student would rent out the room as that is what they me in reception would usually happen......
    Would anyone know if someone would like to rent out a room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Solus, you need to either pay the rent as per your agreement or find someone else to take over the room - there is no way around this.

Get ads up on the college notice boards, tell the accommodation office, ads on gumtree, daft.ie, notices in local shops. This is your responsibility to sort out as you are the one in the legally binding contract to rent the room for the entire academic year.

• Advertisement

If I cant find someone to rent my room would it be fine if I keep paying them €50 a month until my fees are all payed. Or will they bring me to court or issue a lawsuit because I didnt pay the specifc amount in time?

If I cant find someone to rent my room would it be fine if I keep paying them €50 a month until my fees are all payed. Or will they bring me to court or issue a lawsuit because I didnt pay the specifc amount in time?

You'll have to ask the college if you can enter into a repayment plan like that.

You mentioned putting up adverts so people cam rent out my room, would O be allowed to do even though Manor Village is owned by WIT or do I need to ask permission?
    Forgive me for the stupid question adverts and the like are not really something I know alot about.
    Thanks

You mentioned putting up adverts so people cam rent out my room, would O be allowed to do even though Manor Village is owned by WIT or do I need to ask permission?
    Forgive me for the stupid question adverts and the like are not really something I know alot about.
    Thanks

It is in your best interests to find a replacement - the accommodation office will be getting the rent either way so they have no motivation to look for a replacement in a hurry. If you want to stop paying the rent then you have to find your replacement.

I contacted the accommodation and they said the €50 a month as payment was fine and theres no time limit like I previously thought and they only take legal action if people refused to pay. At my situation right now this is fine, they say the charge will change once I get a job but for now I can pay it at the same amount of €50 with no time limit.

Thanks for everyones help, Im really grateful:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement